Is it just me....

Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:33 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me....

Was on the bus recently and some kids got on and started swearing loudly and talking quite graphically and loudly about female pedestrians they spotted through the window.

In Britain it would be ''damn chavs...this country's gone to the dogs, etc, etc, etc...''

I find that one of the major differences between the UK and Australia is that in Australia people seem much less bothered by/likely to complain about this kind of behaviour. They just sort of accept it.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:35 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;7910355]
Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Compared to Glesgae it is.......
No way...........
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Was on the bus recently and some kids got on and started swearing loudly and talking quite graphically and loudly about female pedestrians they spotted through the window.

In Britain it would be ''damn chavs...this country's gone to the dogs, etc, etc, etc...''

I find that one of the major differences between the UK and Australia is that in Australia people seem much less bothered by/likely to complain about this kind of behaviour. They just sort of accept it.
Actually I find it is highly variable. Some people focus on how the little darlings give up seats quite readily.

There are others who will tell you that Australians are generally quite conservative and swear alot less than say the Brits or the Irish. (Which is generally true across the polite parts of society. I've met Australians who are 'impressed' by the amount of swearing in British movies and comedies.)

My own, personal generalisation about the Australian people is that they have a peculiar mix of conservatism (not always bad - but can be annoying) and are actually quite tolerant, patient and this is often mistaken for being laid back, or even lazy. Once the subject matter is broached in a mature fashion, I find Australians will open up and come to the table. I've often said that some Australians fulfill some British stereotypes. How many times have you meet a European or an American who thinks all British people are incredibly polite and reserved and will not be convinced that many are the opposite? My experience is that Americans and Australians are often the conservative ones.

It's all very subtle. The quicker people suss out these subtleties the happier they will be. In my experience the people who suffer are impatient people or people who want to assign blame, or people who cannot, or will not adapt - sometimes for reasons they cannot control.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How many times have you meet a European or an American who thinks all British people are incredibly polite and reserved and will not be convinced that many are the opposite?
Interesting one that... as I have a pretty strong Manchester accent (think Liam Gallagher) I don't fit into any Americans idea of what an Englishman should sound like, (like the cast of Brideshead Revisited) so they make a guess at where this strange man comes from... and without fail come up with "you must be Australian" !!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

AYE. ITS JUST YOU
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
AYE. ITS JUST YOU
I hear it's because he is from Edinburgh!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I hear it's because he is from Edinburgh!
an they aw talk funny.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Interesting one that... as I have a pretty strong Manchester accent (think Liam Gallagher) I don't fit into any Americans idea of what an Englishman should sound like, (like the cast of Brideshead Revisited) so they make a guess at where this strange man comes from... and without fail come up with "you must be Australian" !!
Absolutely!

I find this one fascinating, actually. In your case, I'd like to feel that a Yank would recognise a Northern accent but there you go.

But my point is that you have to find your happy medium. I've been in some places with some people and wished they could turn off the tolerance a bit occasionally. But I've also sat with British expats and wished some would wind their effing necks in and been glad I'm not a regular in their social circle.

I'm happy to live amongst the Australians I know because I like their brand of intelligence, way of life, and yes, acceptance - and all that is more subtle than I think some expats realise. I also think some expats are bored silly with some of their Australian contempories and have yet to work out where the interesting ones are. It's one of the reasons why where you live and what you do is key- 'fraid in a place like Australia which can be very polarised and compartmentalised - this is due to the size of the country, a small population, and all sorts of subtle factors akin to many a place.

This is my personal critique - yet I don't consider it a criticism - of Australia, but I hope people give me credit for having thought about it even if they disagree. I sometimes think people are too ready to criticise culture here but in truth, they don't really understand it, neither articulate it...so they bitch at length about all sorts of little things and never get anywhere. It can take a lot of work I'd imagine to get out of that.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 6th 2009 at 7:33 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by framac67
an they aw talk funny.
One speaks correctly if one is from Edinburgh. Have you never seen Trainspotting old chap!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:02 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
IE....plain thick
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:28 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
IE....plain thick
Oh the irony.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Oh the irony.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:41 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Oh the irony.
Explain.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Explain.
...even better
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:47 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
...even better
You got what I meant then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.