Is it just me....

Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:20 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it just me....

....or do other people feel that some people have experiences of Australia and Australians that are the exact opposite of their own?
Some of the stuff people post makes it sound like Devil' Island! By the way, for balance I find some posts about the UK equally baffling....
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me....

Is it not maybe just a case of people will just talk about their experiences at the extreme ends of the scale?
I think that gives it all a bit of a skewed aspect - i mean you probably wouldn't just write about an average normal day - you are more likely to post when you have a problem or when something really really nice has happened. There are all those hundreds of people out there just getting on with it and having a perfectly nice time
As for me I think its not devils island but some days it feels like it, and then again its not the promised land either - but sometimes it feels like it.
Mostly it just feels like home! (to me anyway!)
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
....or do other people feel that some people have experiences of Australia and Australians that are the exact opposite of their own?
Some of the stuff people post makes it sound like Devil' Island! By the way, for balance I find some posts about the UK equally baffling....
It's just you.

Seriously though, you have said yourself that you fitted right in. I didn't and as a result I found fault in everything, even where there was none. It's that sort of attitude that you occasionally see being vented on here.

Question for the Mods while I'm here. How come all the anti-Australia threads get closed?. Why not just move them to TIO?.... and I don't mean you are closing them as part of some sort of pro-Australia conspiracy.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's just you.

Seriously though, you have said yourself that you fitted right in. I didn't and as a result I found fault in everything, even where there was none. It's that sort of attitude that you occasionally see being vented on here.

Question for the Mods while I'm here. How come all the anti-Australia threads get closed?. Why not just move them to TIO?.... and I don't mean you are closing them as part of some sort of pro-Australia conspiracy.
The threads that get closed aren't closed because they are anti-Australia but because they have descended into name calling, abuse etc - as you well know.
This one will bite the dust too if the same happens here.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - you're in that parallel universe where there are plenty of us very happily living their lives.

My world is perfectly civilised; populated by educated, polite people who wear shoes and drive quite normally. The sun shines, we can buy everything we need and things run very efficiently.

Don't know where the other lot live - but it's not round here.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:00 am
Account Closed

It's just you.

Agreed, but I can never really understand it when someone has posted,
" Australians are all stupid " or similar and they get upset when someone disputes this. I suppose it is over my head, I never ran down the UK when I left because I see it's good points and the flaws my life had there were probably mine....
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:08 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

People respond differently because they are different, they have a different logic, different viewpoint, different experiences and aren't the same as you.

Simple really.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:09 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but I can never really understand it when someone has posted,
" Australians are all stupid " or similar and they get upset when someone disputes this. I suppose it is over my head, I never ran down the UK when I left because I see it's good points and the flaws my life had there were probably mine....
Everywhere has it's problems - there is no land of milk and honey.

I personally don't see the problem in the 'australia/uk are crap/brilliant' threads, but as Polly pointed out, when they turn abusive, it's time to close them down.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The threads that get closed aren't closed because they are anti-Australia but because they have descended into name calling, abuse etc - as you well know.
This one will bite the dust too if the same happens here.
...but I thought that's what the TIO board was there for.

I'm not having a pop at anybody, just wondering why more threads simply don't get moved to TIO where they tend to die a natural death pretty quickly anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:14 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

...but I thought that's what the TIO board was there for.

I'm not having a pop at anybody, just wondering why more threads simply don't get moved to TIO where they tend to die a natural death pretty quickly anyway.
Because TIO is already jam packed with abuse as it is
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Because TIO is already jam packed with abuse as it is
Exactly.

I thought that was the only reason TIO exists.... that if threads do turn nasty, and plenty do, that they could be dumped into TIO. If its not there for that reason I can't see what purpose it really serves.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:23 am

Exactly.

I thought that was the only reason TIO exists.... that if threads do turn nasty, and plenty do, that they could be dumped into TIO. If its not there for that reason I can't see what purpose it really serves.
I agree, all it is in there is anti Scottish abuse threads, granted most of the time it's in fun and we all have a good comical debate.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
People respond differently because they are different, they have a different logic, different viewpoint, different experiences and aren't the same as you.

Simple really.
Yes but there are viewpoints and plain tosh. Britain isn't actually full of chavs and not all Australians are stupid. Why do people type this crap?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I feel sorry for people waiting to emigrate reading some threads as they must wonder what they will let themselves in for.From how bad the schools,shops,Aussies are just to name a few!

It can be a bit of a shock to find out that Australia is not perfect and does not cure any problems you had in the UK.I must admit though it is good to hear all sides as that prepares you better than just hearing how wonderful/bad every thing is.Sue.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I agree, all it is in there is anti Scottish abuse threads, granted most of the time it's in fun and we all have a good comical debate.
I will have to start checking it out more often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.