An iPhone Thread

Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An iPhone Thread

Thanks will give them a call. Thought it was odd.
Gems
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've got Sygic on mine. It was on discount one week for $59AUD so I ponied up. I think it's a great app, but it gets lousy reviews on many sites. Mind you, those are all prior to a recent massive update that added traffic updates, speed cameras and all sorts of cool downloadable goodies. I have a TomTom Go 720 in the car as well and I prefer the Sygic to the TomTom which takes a frigging eternity to lock on (five minutes start up time at best with clear skies). I had the TomTom mobile maps on my old Windows Smartphone and I thought that sucked too. I think TomTom products are the most over-rated and over-priced in the GPS market.
Actually, I have a tom tom but wanted to try something on my Phone just for the convenience. What I like about the tom tom is the way it suggests points of interest at you current location or your destination. Very handy. Dont know if others do that. But like yours, it takes ages to find a signal at first. I may need a new iphone car holder as the one I have sits down by the gear stick.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Actually, I have a tom tom but wanted to try something on my Phone just for the convenience. What I like about the tom tom is the way it suggests points of interest at you current location or your destination. Very handy. Dont know if others do that. But like yours, it takes ages to find a signal at first. I may need a new iphone car holder as the one I have sits down by the gear stick.
Yea, I get the P.O.I.s. exactly like the TomTom, near position, near address, near destination, in city etc. Search on address or post code, etc. I have a Belkin TuneBase for the phone, which is one of the few designed specifically to work with the 3GS. works fine.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:10 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, I can get 5Gb for a fairly reasonable fee on Optus down here, but there's sweet F.A. reception round these parts. If you want a 3G connection of any sort in the regions, it's basically Telstra or nothing.
Would you mind telling me the resonable fee? What are the costs if you go over?

Originally Posted by Gems
Ive just got iphone with virgin and can not seam to text to the UK.
However used to be able to text to vodafone from a telstra cheapo phone!

Ive only just got my iphone so not really got any decent apps yet.

Gems
Do you mean text or MMS? If you can't even text that's ridiculous
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I can text in Australia, but not to UK mobiles.
But daft thing is I can have a telephone call to the same UK mobile numbers!

Rang virgin and they say I should be able to text the UK mobiles if I can ring them and have a normal call.
They have passed my query on to the engineers.

Ive looked on my phone but cant see anything that is stopping the overseas texting.

Gems
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:43 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

I can text in Australia, but not to UK mobiles.
But daft thing is I can have a telephone call to the same UK mobile numbers!

Rang virgin and they say I should be able to text the UK mobiles if I can ring them and have a normal call.
They have passed my query on to the engineers.

Ive looked on my phone but cant see anything that is stopping the overseas texting.

Gems
hmm, I'd be screaming over that. I know phone providers have deals with certain phone providers and not others in some countries. The 3 network is a ball ache to text from overseas usually.

Virgin being in both countries you'd think you be no problem?

Take it back!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Probably OT but have you checked that you have the numbers inputted properly? +44 (drop the zero) etc? Worth checking, every now and again I find that I have not put the international code in.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, right code as I rang the number and can get through to them.

Gems
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I tried Urbanspoon there wasn't a lot of Australian content on it. Has it improved much?
It certainly has loads of content for Melbourne, has done for ages. Haven't tried it for anywhere else.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:44 am
live free or die

Yes, right code as I rang the number and can get through to them.

Gems
Yes, but you need the + not 00 to text.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Boy are you in for a shock if/when you get to Australia !!

Just assumed everywhere gave unlimited Internet access!! Could prove expensive, cannot go 10 minutes without going online.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dann2000
Just assumed everywhere gave unlimited Internet access!! Could prove expensive, cannot go 10 minutes without going online.
Oh dear, then you will need to take out a second mortgage!!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh dear, then you will need to take out a second mortgage!!!
Try 3rd mortgage unless pound strengthens up.

Taken from my iphone 10 minutes ago, we have snow (lots).

An iPhone Thread-snow.jpg
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dann2000
Yea, well unfortunately Australia is largely untouched by concepts such as competition within the broadband and mobile phone markets. Telstra are the equivalent of B.T. (a once nationalised former monopoly) and they exploit the fact that they own the infrastructure. They also operate the largest and quickest of the 3G networks and they know full well that once you get outside the cities and largest towns it's Telstra or nothing.

So yes, you're about as likely to get unlimited internet access over here as you are a white Christmas. I just use wi-fi whenever possible - since I'm usually either at work or at home, I have wi-fi most of the time. It's one of those things you have to accept, just like you will with expensive ADSL with low caps and the piss-poor telly.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, got rid of the 00 and used + and it sent a text to UK!
Still a bit confused why 00 works with a phone call though on the same iphone.

Gems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.