Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:04 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Technically you have entered their premises on false pretences.

You entered the shop on the understanding that they could look in your bag, and you accepted that.
But in reality you never had any intention of doing so.

Personally if I don't like a rule that a shop has, I go somewhere else.
I think it would be wrong to 'pretend' to accept their rules.
That may well be the case but it still wouldn't be breaking the law.

Generally I wouldn't notice any signs as I don't look around the shop entrance to see if it has any conditions of entry. As I said before, if they have reasonable suspicion that I may have stolen something and I feel that they are justified then I would open my bag otherwise, NO.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:07 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So when you get your bag checked in the UK at say a sporting event or entering some buildings does this mean that the UK presumes you're guilty until proven innocent?
You can't really be comparing the potential threat of a terrorist/gun attack to a supermarket maybe catching a petty thief with a bar of chocolate or such like!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:09 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
How come they can rummage under your pram then...
Believe me they rummage, only at KMart and very occasionally Target. Some days they will get down and try to get every single item out and really pull it around - even though it obviously disturbs the baby. Having 3 young children my pram is large and I think that spurs them into action. They get this gleam in their eyes......

I dont allow it now but I think I was in shock the first couple of times and just sort of watched in disbelief

I think thats what started my complete irritation at the whole thing. Its like in the UK I had this complete hatred of lolly pop ladies, bouncing out in the middle of the road like overweight crazed attackers with that bloody big stick. I cant stand them.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
So what dont you want them to see??? If you have the receipts and have nothing stolen in the tardis ( as is mine!) why not let the poor employee do his or her job?? Is it really such a biggie...
It's the principle I'm against - that's why I refuse. They need to employ store detectives or use other means to catch dishonest people - as most first world countries do.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:12 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Believe me they rummage, only at KMart and very occasionally Target. Some days they will get down and try to get every single item out and really pull it around - even though it obviously disturbs the baby. Having 3 young children my pram is large and I think that spurs them into action. They get this gleam in their eyes......

I dont allow it now but I think I was in shock the first couple of times and just sort of watched in disbelief

I think thats what started my complete irritation at the whole thing. Its like in the UK I had this complete hatred of lolly pop ladies, bouncing out in the middle of the road like overweight crazed attackers with that bloody big stick. I cant stand them.

I might fill up a big bag with filthy undies - really rank stinking ones perhaps with a kipper thrown in for good measure. Then let them search the bag.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:13 am
Account Closed

So when you get your bag checked in the UK at say a sporting event or entering some buildings does this mean that the UK presumes you're guilty until proven innocent?

Oh come on. If you are speaking of security issues then that is a completely different kettle of fish.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Its like in the UK I had this complete hatred of lolly pop ladies, bouncing out in the middle of the road like overweight crazed attackers with that bloody big stick. I cant stand them.
That'll change when your kids are school age, cars aren't stopping or slowing down and your darlings are bouncing along oblivious of the road and the traffic

I got told off by a lollipop lady the other day. I automatically slowed down and stopped at the zebra crossing outside a school. Mrs Lollipop stood on the pavement and waved me on looking very cross and fierce
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:18 am
ABCDiamond

Not sure which is worse:

Casual check of your trolley in a supermarket or...

See where the guns are pointing...

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Used to happen to me in France.
Lived in France for three and a half years and do not recall ever being searched in that time.
As someone else mentioned,find it a little difficult to believe that French would accept this.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Lived in France for three and a half years and do not recall ever being searched in that time.
As someone else mentioned,find it a little difficult to believe that French would accept this.
There is another forum that someone was asking about the law on this in France, as it was common there. Maybe different parts of France has different customs on this.

It is also common in the USA.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Not sure which is worse:

Casual check of your trolley in a supermarket or...

See where the guns are pointing...
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...11_468x353.jpg

Don't be ridiculous. The guns are pointing to the ground. You are going off on a tangent now.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Don't be ridiculous. The guns are pointing to the ground. You are going off on a tangent now.
Nah.. They are definatley on the pram..
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

They quite often catch shoplifters without brains, for putting stolen goods in the bags, hence they check them

We caught a few ourselves, and seemingly respectable people too, which surprised me at first.

Most Australians put up with it because it is the law, and because most people are happy to prove they have done nothing wrong. It takes but a few seconds.

The check-out till people can do nothing very little about it though, and most criminals know this, and will refuse to allow their bags to be searched.
This indicates their guilt to most people watching.
Not quite true.

When I can be bothered, I refuse point blank and say that they have no right. Only the police have that right, and they can call the cops if they wish.

However, it really is a long time since I could be bothered.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Feb 23rd 2009 at 11:40 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There is another forum that someone was asking about the law on this in France, as it was common there. Maybe different parts of France has different customs on this.

It is also common in the USA.
Never been searched in either the US or France and I have spent a lot of time in both countries.

My brother has lived in the US for over 25 years and it has never happened to him either.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

A store can only ask to look in your bag IF they have a sign saying they reserve the right to at the entrance or in the front window. If they dont have a sign, they dont have the right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.