Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

I have various responses to it now - if I plan ahead then I ensure the top of my bag has underwear, tampons etc visible....that puts them off double-quick especially is they are spotty youths! Alternatively I just upend the bag in front of them saying I prefer to do that than have them rummage through it. As soon as I start to empty it they change their minds fast.

I have a particular hate of this practice having been ordered (not even asked) to remove my jacket and jumper once in a queue in BiLo. Because I had a temperature and was shivering and thus wearing a jacket they were convinced i was hiding food.

Personal opinion - Aussies put up with it cos they are a nosey lot in general. They like to discuss the ins and outs of everyone's personal business at the checkout, and I think its just one step on from that. I have even had bag searchers comment on the contents of my bag when I've upended it - "Oh thats a strange thing to have in your bag, why do you carry that....."

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 23rd 2009 at 11:41 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

FFS who really wants to pinch stuff from Kmart or target?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
FFS who really wants to pinch stuff from Kmart or target?
Drug addicts and steal-to-order shoplifters usually. They nick things like razor blades, perfume, CDs and DVDs because they're very easy to sell on and retain a relatively high resale value.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:31 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure which is worse:

Casual check of your trolley in a supermarket or...

See where the guns are pointing...
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...11_468x353.jpg

Their trigger fingers are in the correct position.....safetys would be on..not a problem...........mm
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:41 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, I hated having my bag searched when I was in Australia. It felt like an invasion of privacy and made me feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't dream of stealing anything from a shop
It's never happened to me in any other country and I don't understand why it happens in Aus.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:33 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Drug addicts and steal-to-order shoplifters usually. They nick things like razor blades, perfume, CDs and DVDs because they're very easy to sell on and retain a relatively high resale value.
Happens at home too. I know a number of smack heads and basically you ask for what you want and I mean anything you want then you pay 50% of the price. Deliveries usually within a day or two.

I never bought anything but they were always asking as I looked like I may have money (new car/house) etc and they were (and still are) very good friends of mine. I also saw what people used to order and wondered how they managed to steal some of it.

Addiction really is the most dehabilitating process, regardless of initial morals, background or the age in which it grabs you - all of the addicts I know ended up exactly the same with the same resultant personality. Its shell-like.

vivienne
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice

sorry i cant cut and paste in this discussion too many things made me giggle, absoloutely shocked at what they do, cant wait to get there i gonna up end my bag and then say "dont look at me its prob the hubby"
suzie
x
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

rayclare is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They quite often catch shoplifters without brains, for putting stolen goods in the bags, hence they check them

We caught a few ourselves, and seemingly respectable people too, which surprised me at first.

Most Australians put up with it because it is the law, and because most people are happy to prove they have done nothing wrong. It takes but a few seconds.

The check-out till people can do nothing very little about it though, and most criminals know this, and will refuse to allow their bags to be searched.
This indicates their guilt to most people watching.
What ever happened to 'reasonable suspicion'. We are entitled to keep our personal belongings to ourselves, if the shop had a reason to search the bags (acting suspicious, Seen taking thinks etc.) then fair enough. The act of looking in your bag implies guilt.

The only way to get through to them is dont go in shops that invade your privacy, send them an email to let them know, if the shops loose custom they will soon change.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rayclare
The act of looking in your bag implies guilt.

nonsense, the act of looking in your bag helps keep the costs down since stores dont have to use over the top security devices which drive costs up.

There will never be enough resentment of the practise to make any shop change it's policy.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
nonsense, the act of looking in your bag helps keep the costs down since stores dont have to use over the top security devices which drive costs up.

There will never be enough resentment of the practise to make any shop change it's policy.
Has anyone ever been challenged over contents? I know I never have they generally don't really look just quickly peer in and wave you on!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

The only store which regularly checks me is Kmart - when I'm walking out without buying anything.

What I don't understand is that surely the best way to shoplift is to nick something of high value then Q up at the checkout to buy something cheap - then you won't get checked?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanessa
You can't really be comparing the potential threat of a terrorist/gun attack to a supermarket maybe catching a petty thief with a bar of chocolate or such like!
Why not? The principle is the same. It's just the size of the crime that's different. Where do you draw the line?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Oh come on. If you are speaking of security issues then that is a completely different kettle of fish.
So in the UK everyone is presumed to be a terrorist until proven innocent then?

Time for you to come on. Checking for shoplifters does not imply "So it's guilty until proven innocent in Australia is it ?!" as you parochially put it. It's just checking for shoplifters. It implies no more collective guilt than putting security tags on all items in a shop. It's just says that there are shoplifters in this world not that everyone is a shoplifter. Just like security checks says that there are terrorists in this world not that we are all terrorists.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 23rd 2009 at 10:03 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

So it's guilty until proven innocent in Australia is it ?!
I ve always really hated this, and when I was temporary I didn't want to challenge it, Im not sure exactly what my legal rights are here? in the UK they wouldn't be able to do it unless they had reasonable reason, I just wish more people objected to such a blatant abuse of human rights!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure how even the most pro-australian people can condone this practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.