Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

It happened all the time in London when the IRA were bombing us and I didn't mind at all as it was a safety issue. I still don't mind, I have nothing to hide, but I was amazed the first time I came to Australia and went to the Hyper Market where they looked in my bag and took my camera out and said I could collect it on the way out!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:05 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
A long time ago a friend of mine had not long been going out with his new girl friend when she asked him where he got something.
"I got that off my Aunty Dildo", says he, jokingly.
"That's a funny name", she says genuinely.
At that moment her mum came into the room and his girlfriend says "Mum, Eddie's Aunty has got an unusual name. She's called Aunty Dildo".
"Oh, no", he thought. Face struck with terror.
"That's a very unusual name", says the mum.

Now the mum might have been very diplomatic but he thinks she didn't know what one was. Anyways, all's well that ends well, as he is now married to the girl.
Ive driven past Dildo Newfoundland many times.......
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Ive driven past Dildo Newfoundland many times.......
http://www.hackcanada.com/canadian/other/dildo-nf.jpg
Did you pop in and collect anything?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
Am I the only person who feels like this?
Not at all, Loz. I feel exactly the same way. When in Rome and all that, eh?

I noticed it more when I was in Canada and upstate New York recently, too. I don't really remember it when we lived there, but when I was over in December a lot of the shops I went into had the same policy. I also noticed that in most of them they sealed the bag at the checkouts so it wasn't necessary to open them if you went into another store after.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You're making the assumption that the shop lifters a) have their brains in gear and b) have any money on them at all.
Bit of a sideline here - but talking of crooks not having their brains engaged I read this today:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5791224.ece

I love the bit that he thought the contraband was diamonds and not cocaine - although it says in the article that no diamonds have been legally exported since 2005 - so even if they really were diamonds he would still be trying to export contraband.

and how the X misses didn't realise they were doing it. Wouldn't you question three extra suitcases and 52 pounds extra?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:26 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a funny thing with some Brits.

They prefer their invasion of privacy to be surreptitious.

They prefer their taxes to be stealthy.

They prefer their government spending to be less obvious.

The British way is Best, eh?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:29 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can believe it - I've seen it. The French have a strange relationship with authority and rules. Sometimes they flout it with abandon at other times I can't believe how much they kowtow to it.

When we were in France, the locals couldn't believe the Brits were reluctant to have ID cards.
Yes come to think of it now that did come as a bit of a surprise to me also with regards to those ID cards.
Perhaps it is because French bureaucracy often has to administer daft legistration that the citizens have learnt over time to ignore or to manouver around the issue.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:54 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yes come to think of it now that did come as a bit of a surprise to me also with regards to those ID cards.
Perhaps it is because French bureaucracy often has to administer daft legistration that the citizens have learnt over time to ignore or to manouver around the issue.
We lived in France for 3 months once. Though it didn't work out, when we went to the local Prefecture to obtain our Carte De Sejour, the lady at the desk sat there processing our application for about 1 hour when I suddenly realised that we (as European Union citizens) didn't actually need a Carte De Sejour.

When I asked the lady why she had not pointed this out to me, when she had determined our nationalities (and saved us both 1 hour of our respective time), she replied "But it is you who is applying for the Carte De Sejour". She had a point but she was obviously a slave to the bureaucracy and rational thought and helpful advice was not going to get in the way of her inextricable conditioning.

Mon Dieu. La petite salope....

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Feb 24th 2009 at 1:58 am.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:59 am
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Most of the women's handbags that I've peered into seem to be designed around the "Tardis Principle" so I can't see this being an issue with most women who don't want to be searched?
mostly the case,

from past history, bogans and aborigines were the usual suspects.

however, companies arent taking any heat.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:07 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember talking about infrastructure projects with French friends and they were amazed that protesters could hold up such projects for so long in the UK. Their attitude seemed to be that the government know what it was doing (whereas I think the Brits have a healthy suspicion of government).

Talking about the grand plans of Napoleon III they were surprised that Queen Vic didn't have the same power.

Now when it comes to driving. You get a completely different attitude.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

In NZ also, there are signs up in department stores that say security may ask to search your bags. I've never actually had it happen though. In fact in The Warehouse last week, I set off the alarm as I went out the door and the security guard said, "Oh don't worry about it. I saw you pay for that lot."

Trouble was I got home and found the checkout person had left a security tag on and I couldn't bloody get it off, so had to take it back with the docket, which thank God I found, to prove we had paid and get the thing snipped off.