I LOVE the UK

Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I LOVE the UK

Originally Posted by Pomster
I know your first Christmas will have light dusting of snow and cheery rosy cheeked children singing carols at your door....not like the one we had in London.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:08 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
This will be our first hot Christmas, after a few years of heavy snow and real trees, wood burner and dark early. I do love Christmas, but must embrace my new home and see how it goes...
Maybe I can go and stay with chris in his village!!!!
Some people like them but I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. The problem is that Australia has clung on to many of the northern hemisphere traditions - snowy postcards, ho-ho-ho films about the north-pole, Victorian Christmas stereotypes, roast Turkey, etc. and it's just totally incongruous when a Saharan type wind is blowing 45 degrees in from the north.

It's a winter festival so do it in the winter!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Some people like them but I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. The problem is that Australia has clung on to many of the northern hemisphere traditions - snowy postcards, ho-ho-ho films about the north-pole, Victorian Christmas stereotypes, roast Turkey, etc. and it's just totally incongruous when a Saharan type wind is blowing 45 degrees in from the north.

It's a winter festival so do it in the winter!!!!
It's only a winter festival for half the world
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:09 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie007
TBH .... If I rationalise things ... I think I prefer christmas in Australia....
Christmas in any country where the temperature is below 25C sucks. I think Australia needs to come up with their own christmas traditions. Santa in a red parka and snow boots just looks stupid.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
Christmas in any country where the temperature is below 25C sucks. I think Australia needs to come up with their own christmas traditions. Santa in a red parka and snow boots just looks stupid.
But it has!!!!,

Santa on a surf board, six white boomers, seafood..barbie and beach!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:38 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

But it has!!!!,

Santa on a surf board, six white boomers, seafood..barbie and beach!!!!
When was the last time you saw santa anywhere in boardies (personally I think he should be seen only in a budgie smuggler) and flip flops other than on a post card or tree ornament that's meant to be sent back to rellies to rub their noses in it?

And his elves should all be wearing green bikinis, similar to the gold coast meter maids.

I guess I will concede the boomers, though I rarely see them on nativity scenes on house roofs.

Seafood is a good one, it's something my mind has trouble associating with christmas.

Last edited by furbacchione; Aug 11th 2012 at 2:41 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I have heard it all now Pomster, 'generally UK pub food is reasonably good'
As far as a pub ripping you off for a meal why not just go somewhere that charged a quarter of the price ? Who in their right mind would pay £60 each for a meal when you definitely don't need to ?
I think Pomster was talking about pub Christmas meals - where the economics of supply and demand raise prices for that day.

Are you therefore suggesting that it's always very good, or very bad?
Perhaps to say that generally UK pub is reasonably good is not a ridiculous comment after all, especially when we've all had bad experiences - including yourself. It is after all pub food, this is not 'The Duck'.

Originally Posted by sammax
For me I could narrow it down if I had to from missing (a) the history (b) Christmas in a cold climate and (c) the English countryside to just The English Countryside, in particular - thatched cottages, hedgerows with those creamy coloured flowers in Spring that smell like cats' pee (gorgeous), one of them is called Cow Parsley, and the beautiful oast houses that you find in the Kent Weald, but what always brought me down was the weather....

Christmas here is "shorter" and less intense...

But I still miss the idealised vision of christmas
I've said many a time that Christmas in Australia seems more about the summer holiday season than the event itself - which is but a day and a curtain raiser for the annual break - hardly a surprise when the kids are on long summer vacation (etc).

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's only a winter festival for half the world
Indeed...refer to Latin America, and some of Africa, for one.

The idealised version...you would have to be a Scrooge to not think about it.
I don't mind the idea of Christmas in the snow - but it's only a day. You have to remember that most of the British population remember how cold the rest of winter is. They talked about it a lot if I remember.

It's important to remember that the picture postcard is just that - I remember watching a British movie set in the snow - in the opening night scenes they had practically airbrushed/tinted the film to make the village in the snow look better. And during the day anything other than a blue sky will lessen the effect!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I too love UK even thought I'm not English I always felt London being my home I love everything about the place even the annoying things, I even missed not being squeezed on the tube going to work, I know it's sad, I miss the rush hour on the tube, I miss the buzz.
But I also love all other countries I lived in & I absolutely hate Christmas here just doesn't feel right.
Olympics been great for me so many countries that I live in had my full support.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who hates Christmas with a passion it is perfect for me here. My kids don't seem to get caught up in the 'who has what' mentality that our circle of friends and family subscribe to in the UK. It's fantastic. A mouldy satsuma and a few nuts in a stocking and bobs your uncle!!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
As someone who hates Christmas with a passion it is perfect for me here. My kids don't seem to get caught up in the 'who has what' mentality that our circle of friends and family subscribe to in the UK. It's fantastic. A mouldy satsuma and a few nuts in a stocking and bobs your uncle!!
The lucky cannts....mine get a stick, and a kick up the backside....
and if they get a coin glued to the satsuma, it's 50 pence - there's no concept of inflation in our house..
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The lucky cannts....mine get a stick, and a kick up the backside....
and if they get a coin glued to the satsuma, it's 50 pence - there's no concept of inflation in our house..
You think your kids have it tough... We still use a sixpence from 1916 in our christmas pudding....

Family lore states that its been used in the puddings since it was new
Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:44 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I love Haribo Tangtastics. There, I said it, I'm nearly 40 years old and I love Haribo Tangtastics!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I love Haribo Tangtastics. There, I said it, I'm nearly 40 years old and I love Haribo Tangtastics!
I like their pico balla...

But i pretend i'm putting them in my trolley for the kids
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:10 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I like their pico balla...

But i pretend i'm putting them in my trolley for the kids
So do I, but I don't have kids so I borrow the neighbours kids. I know, I know, it seems like a hell of a lot of work to do just to get Tangtastics but christ are they good!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Last 10 Christmas Days in Melbourne

2011 18.5C 29.6C
2010 14.0C 26.2C
2009 14.4C 21.2C
2008 14.9C 22.2C
2007 11.5C 25.6C
2006 9.6C 14.5C
2005 11.9C 24.1C
2004 11.0C 21.3C
2003 15.3C 27.5C
2002 14.3C 19.4C

Nothing over 30C. No reason why on any of those days you couldn't have had a full traditional Christmas dinner.

Of course it's a different story in places like Brisbane and Perth and anywhere inland, but many people in Aus do not experience scorching Christmases on a regular basis at all.

To me, having seafood and some sort of cold dessert takes away from the occasion because you can have that sort of food any day of the year and many people do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.