I LOVE the UK

Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I LOVE the UK

Just for the record

I'm happy here... Especially since the Grey Nomads arrived... Honest... 7 of us, 3 generations, all living in the same household is working remarkably well...

However I DO love my homeland (just for the record)

I love the villages and lanes and the 1001 shadees of green, I love the raindrops on roses and whiskas on kittens... Or even the Homebrand supermeat on kittens..

I have wonderful memories of S&M (sorry.... M&S?) and Debenhams and Boots the chemist with the glass decanter filled with purple liquid in the window

I loved London ... And seeing the great buildings where history that I know so well happened... I loved the grimey towns and the dreary industrial landscapes..

I loved the political system, because I grew up with it and understand it... I dont understand the australian one... I dont know it intimately...

I loved the NHS and its values and I loved working for it... Even if Our relationship had soured somewhat toward the end... I am certainly grateful that when I was desparately ill I was under their care... Fond memories...

The sense of belonging and of community... Walking into any one of a dozen pubs and the staff knowing my name (damn... That doesnt sound good)

I miss walking into town with my mate of 35 years and having coffee

I love the feeling that christmas is co ing, when the nights close in, the air smells of winter and Thursday nights in town become chaotic due to late night christmas shopping...

I miss our church... And our church family.... The ancient building that was so central to our lives... Its magnificant ceilings and alter... And the friendships we had....

It will all still be there when I DO eventually go back for a visit...

But I'm here and life is good
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I LOVE the UK

What an odd thread, even for you. Why the need for the reinforcement ?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:01 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Some people can be equally content with two separate countries simultaneously, it appears!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Not an odd thread at all...

even for me
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Do you drink a lot?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eddie007
Just for the record

I'm happy here... Especially since the Grey Nomads arrived... Honest... 7 of us, 3 generations, all living in the same household is working remarkably well...

However I DO love my homeland (just for the record)

I love the villages and lanes and the 1001 shadees of green, I love the raindrops on roses and whiskas on kittens... Or even the Homebrand supermeat on kittens..

I have wonderful memories of S&M (sorry.... M&S?) and Debenhams and Boots the chemist with the glass decanter filled with purple liquid in the window

I loved London ... And seeing the great buildings where history that I know so well happened... I loved the grimey towns and the dreary industrial landscapes..

I loved the political system, because I grew up with it and understand it... I dont understand the australian one... I dont know it intimately...

I loved the NHS and its values and I loved working for it... Even if Our relationship had soured somewhat toward the end... I am certainly grateful that when I was desparately ill I was under their care... Fond memories...

The sense of belonging and of community... Walking into any one of a dozen pubs and the staff knowing my name (damn... That doesnt sound good)

I miss walking into town with my mate of 35 years and having coffee

I love the feeling that christmas is co ing, when the nights close in, the air smells of winter and Thursday nights in town become chaotic due to late night christmas shopping...

I miss our church... And our church family.... The ancient building that was so central to our lives... Its magnificant ceilings and alter... And the friendships we had....

It will all still be there when I DO eventually go back for a visit...

But I'm here and life is good
Oh no, just nuts..
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the derogatory comments, I'm with you Eddie. I went back to the UK last year and I enjoyed my time there but here still feels equally home. I can't see why it's weird to love living in two places and be content in whichever one you happen to be in. I can add a third as I was brought up in Hong Kong and to be honest, that's even more 'home' feel than the UK.

Why should you 'hate' the place you are not in?

And as a last comment, Tramps, I find your last remark offensive.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the house of full of people?
Why does BE tramp on honesty? This has always been a forum where people occasionally vent their thoughts.

And for many people, it's not all about one or the other, or a need to criticise one over the other.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by itigo
Despite the derogatory comments, I'm with you Eddie. I went back to the UK last year and I enjoyed my time there but here still feels equally home. I can't see why it's weird to love living in two places and be content in whichever one you happen to be in. I can add a third as I was brought up in Hong Kong and to be honest, that's even more 'home' feel than the UK.

Why should you 'hate' the place you are not in?

And as a last comment, Tramps, I find your last remark offensive.
Ok.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Oh no, just nuts..
You didnt need to highlight that particular section to make your point... Its a well known fact

The fact that I'm nuts ....
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
You didnt need to highlight that particular section to make your point... Its a well known fact

The fact that I'm nuts ....
Yes but I for one, like you just the way you are - nuts and all. Besides you are the only one that thinks its normal for my cat to eat towels, chew blinds and still enjoy a twenty minute head rub each time you come round.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I too love the UK- not unconditionally, as I also disliked other bits- you can't beat a proper christmas or roaring log fire and mulled wine after a crisp winter walk through places that look like a picture from a Christmas card. Ditto the history and the open Wiltshire Downs with the mysterious henges and burial mounds. I miss the little traditions that my family and our village had. I miss my old preschool and the wonder of the nativity- all packed into the methodist chapel with mums dads and granparents watching as their child entered dressed as an angel, shepherd, king etc, and watching Mary plonk the baby Jesus upsidedown in the cradle, and the rumbly accompaniment of the carols and mince pies afterwards.

Oh dear, got to stop now as I'm crying.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:14 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I too love the UK- not unconditionally, as I also disliked other bits- you can't beat a proper christmas or roaring log fire and mulled wine after a crisp winter walk through places that look like a picture from a Christmas card. Ditto the history and the open Wiltshire Downs with the mysterious henges and burial mounds. I miss the little traditions that my family and our village had. I miss my old preschool and the wonder of the nativity- all packed into the methodist chapel with mums dads and granparents watching as their child entered dressed as an angel, shepherd, king etc, and watching Mary plonk the baby Jesus upsidedown in the cradle, and the rumbly accompaniment of the carols and mince pies afterwards.

Oh dear, got to stop now as I'm crying.
Yes, Christmas just weird in Australia, sorry. We can get the crisp winter walks here in the hills - carpets of leaves on the ground, frost but they're in July! What do I miss about the UK - all the standard stuff - Christmas, family and European getaways. That's it. What do I definitely not miss - traffic, weather, traffic, po-faced attitude in shops, traffic...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the occasional person thinking I loathe UK, there are loads of things I love about this place, but Australia still has a huge pull.

I don't see why (like Eddie) you need to hate one place to love the other. You can love both but in different ways.

However, during my 10 years in Aus, I always yearned for a UK Christmas and felt weird around Christmas. It just was not right. Two Christmases here have disabused me of the idyll of UK Christmas.
2010 was under several feet of snow- novelty wears off very quickly! - and 2011 was just frankly dull. At least you can go to the zoo or beach in Melbourne....here it just felt we were waiting for the day to be over. We tried to go out for lunch ( to treat my since-departed- mother) and places were charging £60 per head for all including my 4 year old. £240 for a pretty shonky plate of food which normally costs £8 on a Sunday!
Generally UK pub food is reasonably quality but over Christmas something weird happens....

So everyone carry on dreaming, but keep it as a nice memory.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:58 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

I know I'm a misery guts but what's your problem

I'm happy for ya 007 - wish I could say the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.