I LOVE the UK

Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I LOVE the UK

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Last 10 Christmas Days in Melbourne

2011 18.5C 29.6C
2010 14.0C 26.2C
2009 14.4C 21.2C
2008 14.9C 22.2C
2007 11.5C 25.6C
2006 9.6C 14.5C
2005 11.9C 24.1C
2004 11.0C 21.3C
2003 15.3C 27.5C
2002 14.3C 19.4C

Nothing over 30C. No reason why on any of those days you couldn't have had a full traditional Christmas dinner.

Of course it's a different story in places like Brisbane and Perth and anywhere inland, but many people in Aus do not experience scorching Christmases on a regular basis at all.

To me, having seafood and some sort of cold dessert takes away from the occasion because you can have that sort of food any day of the year and many people do.
We do seafood as a christmas eve dinner....

Then i'm afraid its the whole turkeynmalarky.... And christmas pud... Its an endurance test... For which the family have spent YEARS in training... Forget olympic fitness every four years... I've vpbeen a professional contender for 44!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:12 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Last 10 Christmas Days in Melbourne

2011 18.5C 29.6C
2010 14.0C 26.2C
2009 14.4C 21.2C
2008 14.9C 22.2C
2007 11.5C 25.6C
2006 9.6C 14.5C
2005 11.9C 24.1C
2004 11.0C 21.3C
2003 15.3C 27.5C
2002 14.3C 19.4C

Nothing over 30C. No reason why on any of those days you couldn't have had a full traditional Christmas dinner.

Of course it's a different story in places like Brisbane and Perth and anywhere inland, but many people in Aus do not experience scorching Christmases on a regular basis at all.

To me, having seafood and some sort of cold dessert takes away from the occasion because you can have that sort of food any day of the year and many people do.
We've had a few terrible Christmases here for heat - often mid 30s with heavy cloud and high humidity which is rare for us. Just awful weather for a winter festival! As for cooking roast Turkey or beef, with roast potatoes, parsnips, mashed swede, carrots, making gravy, with an oven on 200 degrees in a place with a knackered air con and internal temps of 30 - no thanks. Crazy.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

And the last 2 Christmas Day temps in London (but probably completely different in Utopia/Fairyland):

2011 : +10 deg but grey and uninspiring
2010: minus 50 with slushy snow (or that is how it felt).

not great weather for anything much
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the matter with some of you? I do a full roast every Sunday throughout the year, whether oven or barbie cooked, don't see why Christmas Day should be any different.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:28 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What's the matter with some of you? I do a full roast every Sunday throughout the year, whether oven or barbie cooked, don't see why Christmas Day should be any different.
Do you sit and eat it in a bikini?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Do you sit and eat it in a bikini?
I don't wear bikinis in the pool let alone whilst cooking and eating dinner.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:37 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wear bikinis in the pool let alone whilst cooking and eating dinner.
Naked? Now thats just freakish!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Naked? Now thats just freakish!
Attached Thumbnails I LOVE the UK-nigella.jpg  
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:57 am
Straw Man.

Kinky!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Kinky!
Why do you think the urine doesn't worry me.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
As someone who hates Christmas with a passion it is perfect for me here. My kids don't seem to get caught up in the 'who has what' mentality that our circle of friends and family subscribe to in the UK. It's fantastic. A mouldy satsuma and a few nuts in a stocking and bobs your uncle!!
I must say that although I do yearn a bit for a cold Christmas sometimes, Australia definitely has its advantages - like the fact that you don't have to be stuck in the house after dinner - you can go for walks or swimming or any number of outdoor activites that you couldn't do in the UK, so less chance of going nuts indoors or getting into family arguments. Australians definitely don't seem to go as mad on buying presents, shopping and Christmas cards like they do in the UK, and I love that.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammax
Australians definitely don't seem to go as mad on buying presents, shopping and Christmas cards like they do in the UK, and I love that.
This one would be debateable! and some have questioned this in the past.
I reckon it's just less intense here. Maybe it's the fact that where we do our shop there's a smaller population. For us, the car parking issues (etc) we saw in the UK are not quite so bad here- and the shops not quite so crowded.

And essentially Christmas is not just the 2 days here.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:54 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You cant go for a walk in the UK at Christmas ? Why ?

Originally Posted by sammax
I must say that although I do yearn a bit for a cold Christmas sometimes, Australia definitely has its advantages - like the fact that you don't have to be stuck in the house after dinner - you can go for walks or swimming or any number of outdoor activites that you couldn't do in the UK, so less chance of going nuts indoors or getting into family arguments. Australians definitely don't seem to go as mad on buying presents, shopping and Christmas cards like they do in the UK, and I love that.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is something we agree on Christmas where we lived was hell from a shopping point of view.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
This one would be debateable! and some have questioned this in the past.
I reckon it's just less intense here. Maybe it's the fact that where we do our shop there's a smaller population. For us, the car parking issues (etc) we saw in the UK are not quite so bad here- and the shops not quite so crowded.

And essentially Christmas is not just the 2 days here.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
You cant go for a walk in the UK at Christmas ? Why ?
Ummm.. Because its usually wet and its dark by 3.30 pm....

But thats also one of the joys for me of a uk christmas.... Curled up in front of a roaring log fire and it being dark and cold and wet and miserable outside..

In my 39 years in the uk I believe the odds on it being a white christmas were 6% ..... Yet I remember it snowing EVERY christmas when I was a child... And building snowmen and chestnuts roasting on an open fire....

The reality is that snow happens mainly in january and february... And bright crisp winter days are few and far between in december...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.