Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hunting... why does anyone?

Hunting... why does anyone?

Old Dec 30th 2011, 2:24 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hunting... why does anyone?

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ok.. I'll admit it... Riding to hounds is bloody excellent sport, its pure adrenaline... Think cross country but without the safety features.. You have to VERY quickly assess your own and your horses' capeabilities ...you have to have confidence in your horse and he has to trust you not ot overface him... Judging route, height width depth of obstacle.... And how to tackle it... On the hoof... So to speak...
You have no real idea where the chase will take you.... You have to have a bloody fit horse and you dont have to be too shabby yourself... Knowing the land you're riding, the shortcuts, what is rideable, what isnt etc is a biggie too....

Yup... It wasnt THAT often we got a kill, but it was a bloody excellent day's riding... Which isnt possible to recreate in any artificial manner....
As long as you get a good day's riding, that's all that matters.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
As long as you get a good day's riding, that's all that matters.
There you go...knew it.... Damned if you do and damned if you dont....

If it was JUST about killing the bloody murdering fox... Not enjoyable... Then it would be wrong.. Angry Vigilante flaming torch wielding mobs etc....

If its just about the adrenaline rush and nothing else its wrong.... Oops, forgot we want to kill the fox....

I'm talking about history.... 25yrs ago... And centuries before that...

TBH... I dont see that hunting in the uk today would be so much fun... With the destruction of the countryside, It WAS a way of life, back in the day...

The land we rode is now criss crossed with main roads, motorways, smothered with urban sprawl and wrapped in barbed wire...

Funny how everyone gets up in arms about FH, but happily tucks into their cheap caged battery hen eggs every bloody day..... Talk about double standards... A LIFE of misery... Never seeing daylight, pecked to bleeding, A4 size space max for their entire life..... Millions of birds in worse than concentration camp conditions... Cleaning out the dead bodies from the live ones in the cages...

Versus a "natural" chase and kill... As per the wild...
Old Dec 30th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You just don't seem to get it - whilst it would be a relief to see the Rottweiler dead, you may even be pleased that it is dead - but to derive pleasure from the action of killing, whether it be animal or human - is simply sadistic.
I made no mention about the action of killing, if you read what was actually written.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I made no mention about the action of killing, if you read what was actually written.
Aha... That old chestnut...

Intended message, medium distortion and recieved message....

Happens a lot on here....
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:24 am

There you go...knew it.... Damned if you do and damned if you dont....

If it was JUST about killing the bloody murdering fox... Not enjoyable... Then it would be wrong.. Angry Vigilante flaming torch wielding mobs etc....

If its just about the adrenaline rush and nothing else its wrong.... Oops, forgot we want to kill the fox....

I'm talking about history.... 25yrs ago... And centuries before that...

TBH... I dont see that hunting in the uk today would be so much fun... With the destruction of the countryside, It WAS a way of life, back in the day...

The land we rode is now criss crossed with main roads, motorways, smothered with urban sprawl and wrapped in barbed wire...

Funny how everyone gets up in arms about FH, but happily tucks into their cheap caged battery hen eggs every bloody day..... Talk about double standards... A LIFE of misery... Never seeing daylight, pecked to bleeding, A4 size space max for their entire life..... Millions of birds in worse than concentration camp conditions... Cleaning out the dead bodies from the live ones in the cages...

Versus a "natural" chase and kill... As per the wild...
You wouldn't be damned if you didn't, only if you do. It has always been done - that old chestnut!!!!

Everyone? There are just as many free range as caged in the supermakets - wonder who is buying them? I only eat free range.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You introduced a red herring into a debate about deriving pleasure from killing - the thread is about hunting - ergo - deriving pleasure from killing animals. If that is not what you meant, why bring it into the discussion? Once again the thread gets sidetracked from the main issue, as we drift into the world of justification and excuses.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:34 am

Aha... That old chestnut...

Intended message, medium distortion and recieved message....

Happens a lot on here....
Deflection from the issue - happens here all the time.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:54 am

From the good days before Lady in Red, Chris De Burgh doing what he did best - telling a mystical story with music. It's quite poignant given the discussion.

Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You introduced a red herring into a debate about deriving pleasure from killing - the thread is about hunting - ergo - deriving pleasure from killing animals. If that is not what you meant, why bring it into the discussion? Once again the thread gets sidetracked from the main issue, as we drift into the world of justification and excuses.
I hunt for fish. I eat what I catch & take only enough to feed myself & my wife. A far more eco friendly way to provide table fish than trawling every living thing up in a trawl net & throwing 60% of it back into the ocean dead or dying.
If your a vegan or a veggie good luck to you for making the concious decision not to eat animals. You represent a small minority & will always see meat eating as wrong.
It's the poor plants I feel sorry for, living breathing things just growing there in the field minding their own business until some callous vegetarian uproots them & eats them. Hardly sporting is it? At least the fish have a chance to escape more than the poor veg do.
Apart from Celery which should be eradicated.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Class element? The people I've hunted and shot with came from every walk of life.

The press like to show the "Toffs" and their Range Rovers, doesn't mean it's only them out there.

Aye those on horses need someone walking between the hounds and the guns incase the Hounds get hurt.

Personally I think from a tradition point of view it's worth keeping.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
I hunt for fish. I eat what I catch & take only enough to feed myself & my wife. A far more eco friendly way to provide table fish than trawling every living thing up in a trawl net & throwing 60% of it back into the ocean dead or dying.
If your a vegan or a veggie good luck to you for making the concious decision not to eat animals. You represent a small minority & will always see meat eating as wrong.
It's the poor plants I feel sorry for, living breathing things just growing there in the field minding their own business until some callous vegetarian uproots them & eats them. Hardly sporting is it? At least the fish have a chance to escape more than the poor veg do.
Apart from Celery which should be eradicated.
These are a few mass murdering vegetarians - the one on the end took it a stage further!

Plato
Socrates
Albert Einstein
Leo Tolstoy
David Thoreau Henry David Thoreau
Emerson
Benjamin Franklin
Alexander Pope
Sir Issac Newton
Pythagoras
Gandhi
Leonardo Da Vinci
Voltaire
Milton
Charles Darwin
Schweitzer
Percy Byssche Shelly
Mary Shelly
George Bernard Shaw
Abraham Lincoln
Adolph Hitler
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

These are a few mass murdering vegetarians - the one on the end took it a stage further!

Plato
Socrates
Albert Einstein
Leo Tolstoy
David Thoreau Henry David Thoreau
Emerson
Benjamin Franklin
Alexander Pope
Sir Issac Newton
Pythagoras
Gandhi
Leonardo Da Vinci
Voltaire
Milton
Charles Darwin
Schweitzer
Percy Byssche Shelly
Mary Shelly
George Bernard Shaw
Abraham Lincoln
Adolph Hitler
This could just be complete coincidence; As I'd read sometime ago about an animal rights activists campaign portraying many prominent people as either vegetarian or vegan I randomly chose five names from your list & found only one that was a confirmed vegetarian. The rest regularly ate meat and history records their diets more accurately than I'd have thought.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
This could just be complete coincidence; As I'd read sometime ago about an animal rights activists campaign portraying many prominent people as either vegetarian or vegan I randomly chose five names from your list & found only one that was a confirmed vegetarian. The rest regularly ate meat and history records their diets more accurately than I'd have thought.
We must have different sources - I also picked a few, and found that they had been meat eaters but changed over later in life. Probably depends on if the research was done by McDonalds or the Vegetarian Society. McDonalds are a major 'beef' with me, they offer no Vegetarian option and they use some very unethical farming methods. Anyway, horses for courses, usually the main, especially in France.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You introduced a red herring into a debate ... If that is not what you meant, why bring it into the discussion?
I didn't bring such a thing into the discussion. Turban Explorer made a statement about pleasure from the death of an animal and I asked about that. The red herring entered into the discussion when you brought up pleasure from the action of killing an animal, rather than pleasure from the death of an animal - different things.
the thread is about hunting - ergo - deriving pleasure from killing animals.
Why do you presume everyone who is or has involved in hunting derives pleasure from killing animals? There has already been mention of protecting other animals through hunting, which would imply hunting is more of a function than pleasure to some people.

Also, please note that I haven't given an opinion on hunting, or the killing of animals.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 10:06 am

We must have different sources - I also picked a few, and found that they had been meat eaters but changed over later in life. Probably depends on if the research was done by McDonalds or the Vegetarian Society. McDonalds are a major 'beef' with me, they offer no Vegetarian option and they use some very unethical farming methods. Anyway, horses for courses, usually the main, especially in France.
I just noticed Mary Shelley on that list as well. Useless snippet of info retained for some strange reason: It was concluded by an American author writing about Mrs Shelley that she was a vegetarian because she created Frankenstein as a vegetarian.
On that assumption can we therefore conclude Bram Stoker was a blood sucking Vampire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.