Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hunting... why does anyone?

Hunting... why does anyone?

Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hunting... why does anyone?

Originally Posted by calliope
Also the class element of it is obnoxious.
Class element? The people I've hunted and shot with came from every walk of life.

The press like to show the "Toffs" and their Range Rovers, doesn't mean it's only them out there.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
I dont see much evidence of a class element in roo shooters, lower class maybe ?
Certainly, I would guess.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by jothefw
Class element? The people I've hunted and shot with came from every walk of life.

The press like to show the "Toffs" and their Range Rovers, doesn't mean it's only them out there.
I know hunt people, or knew them. I lived in that world and the ones on the horses were never working class. Not in England anyway.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:23 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I know hunt people, or knew them. I lived in that world and the ones on the horses were never working class. Not in England anyway.
I was invited on several hunts and shoots when I worked in the city. It was toff all the way through. I think the much trawled out, 'it's all walks of life' is a pathetic attempt to make hunting palatable. A little like the ludicrous 'hunting is a kind way to kill a fox'. Since when does running for your life as a precursor to being torn to pieces equate to some sort of canine 'Dignitas'... Jeez...

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Dec 27th 2011 at 11:31 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:36 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a British (primary) school friend boasting about having the bloody end of a fox tail wiped across her face. A revolting type of revelry.

Then there are the beer swilling yahoo's in Australia who ride on the back of a ute at night, firing off their guns at anything that moves... often leaving maimed targets to drag themselves away to die.

Barbaric, both.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
That old excuse, trotted out every year during hunting season - try another one eh?

The wily fox, can pick padlocks, carries portable welding gear - build a better coop ffs, it's not that difficult - or do you not care for your chickens either.
Excuse me, but did you actually read my post? You seem to be classing me with people who want to hunt. Foxes do need keeping under control- here they bait them so that they die slowly. I believe foxes should be kept under control- not for the glory of killing them, but because of the destruction they cause. Your flippancy undermines your argument, as does swearing.

I don't actually keep chickens but my neighbour in the UK lost them several times, and each time his coop was reinforced, but the fox still got in. He gave up keeping chickens after that- they were pullets and bantams, kept for eggs and showing, not meat by the way.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips

I don't actually keep chickens but my neighbour in the UK lost them several times, and each time his coop was reinforced, but the fox still got in. He gave up keeping chickens after that- they were pullets and bantams, kept for eggs and showing, not meat by the way.
Careful Caroline - you'll have everyone up in arms for the cruelity to animals and birds that get shown!

I better hide my mozzie swatter and mousetraps before I get told that's against their rights to live too.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:48 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Excuse me, but did you actually read my post? You seem to be classing me with people who want to hunt. Foxes do need keeping under control- here they bait them so that they die slowly. I believe foxes should be kept under control- not for the glory of killing them, but because of the destruction they cause. Your flippancy undermines your argument, as does swearing.

My flippancy is an indication of my total disrespect for anyone who either hunts or furnishes excuses to allow them to continue. Swearing is an indication of my fury at those who either provide the excuses or pull the trigger - same thing in my book (Yes I did read your post).

So your 'neighbour' was outwitted by a fox? Says it all really.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:49 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Careful Caroline - you'll have everyone up in arms for the cruelity to animals and birds that get shown!

I better hide my mozzie swatter and mousetraps before I get told that's against their rights to live too.
That's right, search for justification. You are only impressing yourself.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I was invited on several hunts and shoots when I worked in the city. It was toff all the way through. I think the much trawled out, 'it's all walks of life' is a pathetic attempt to make hunting palatable. A little like the ludicrous 'hunting is a kind way to kill a fox'. Since when does running for your life as a precursor to being torn to pieces equate to some sort of canine 'Dignitas'... Jeez...

I have to be honest, I agree that the class aspect is guaranteed to piss people off - and that is partly the issue I think...and it works both ways. People tend to be a bit anti-establishment at the best of the times.

There are alot of things which I consider to be part of family history etc and that a lot of people have tradtionally been associated with hunts - from all walks of life.

I can't say I am a big fan of fox hunting and the way it is done - but when people talk about challenge they are probably talking about the challenge of being on horseback and not so much about what kind of odds the vermin gets...I would be inclined to not accept any invitations now - but I had no issue with it in my teens and twenties.

I have always been a keen horseman and there are plenty of blokes out there that consider that sort of thing cissy or elitist..let alone hunting..it is no skin of my nose. Some of the best riding I have under my belt is cross-country, and fast...not necessarily in pursuit.

I have no issue with aspects of other types of hunting. I have done some search and rescue training with invited deer hunters in Melbourne and their fieldcraft is phenomenal. I would be inclined to join them - but my Birkenstock-wearing Missus is a bit against it and I quite like to keep her onside...the subject came up only a few days ago...

still...it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.....is it not...having said that one of her family members is a professional hunter and has shooting country in the Americas...his house is full of stuffed game...I have a photo of my daughters with them.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 28th 2011 at 4:34 am.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:14 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Hunting is not for me. Have never done it. However, if you've got a field of sheep and a fox comes and long and kills your lambs (something I have witnessed first hand), is jumping on the back of a horse to chase after and kill the fox such a bad thing? I'm sure the fox would reappear and kill more stock if they have been successful.

I just wonder what the difference is between this and buying meat in the supermarket - which has also been killed in some manner. Is everyone against fox hunting also a vegetarian?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by harrip
Hunting is not for me. Have never done it. However, if you've got a field of sheep and a fox comes and long and kills your lambs (something I have witnessed first hand), is jumping on the back of a horse to chase after and kill the fox such a bad thing? I'm sure the fox would reappear and kill more stock if they have been successful.

I just wonder what the difference is between this and buying meat in the supermarket - which has also been killed in some manner. Is everyone against fox hunting also a vegetarian?
I don't eat a lot of meat, and have been a vegetarian in the past, but see no contradiction. My objection to fox hunting is that is a class-based form of entertainment hiding behind the veil of animal control that could be done much more efficiently with trapping and shooting.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat a lot of meat, and have been a vegetarian in the past, but see no contradiction. My objection to fox hunting is that is a class-based form of entertainment hiding behind the veil of animal control that could be done much more efficiently with trapping and shooting.
But this is it - the class thing again - why are people so against it if it based on class? I mean are they annoyed that they have not been invited? And there are middle class and working class people associated with hunts.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But this is it - the class thing again - why are people so against it if it based on class? I mean are they annoyed that they have not been invited? And there are middle class and working class people associated with hunts.
I can't endorse a blood sport involving the needless suffering of an animal for the amusement of the idle rich. That's all I mean. Like I said, I have met these people and they have an amazing sense of entitlement. We can break that down by stopping things like fox hunting.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't endorse a blood sport involving the needless suffering of an animal for the amusement of the idle rich. That's all I mean. Like I said, I have met these people and they have an amazing sense of entitlement. We can break that down by stopping things like fox hunting.
Fair enough. (This sense of not liking entitlement interests me though. Maybe the sense of entitlement comes from years of tradition and history - which is one of the things that makes the UK what it is. I only say that because on one hand, people bemoan the lack of history in Australia but the 'idle rich', or not so idle rich in other quarters made the UK what it is!).

To be honest, I can look the other way when it comes to fox-hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.