Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hunting... why does anyone?

Hunting... why does anyone?

Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hunting... why does anyone?

Where I do voluntary work at the cockatoo rescue, they had problems with foxes getting into the roo enclosure killing tiny Joeys. Someone suggested they got a deer in as they are good at protecting their surroundings so they bought in this female deer called Barbara (I kid you not) and Barbara became quite an expert at kicking the crap out of those foxes if they went near the Joeys and even killed a few foxes that tried.

They dont appear to lose many Joeys now with Barbara in the paddock. I hear in some parts of Australia they hunt/shoot/poison feral cats as well, my neighbour down the road - his father lives on a farm and they hunt the feral cats and apparently they are huge as well.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:11 am
Banned

Whats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Where I do voluntary work at the cockatoo rescue, they had problems with foxes getting into the roo enclosure killing tiny Joeys. Someone suggested they got a deer in as they are good at protecting their surroundings so they bought in this female deer called Barbara (I kid you not) and Barbara became quite an expert at kicking the crap out of those foxes if they went near the Joeys and even killed a few foxes that tried.

They dont appear to lose many Joeys now with Barbara in the paddock. I hear in some parts of Australia they hunt/shoot/poison feral cats as well, my neighbour down the road - his father lives on a farm and they hunt the feral cats and apparently they are huge as well.
Your love of wildlife doesnt stretch as far as feral cats then. What a surprise.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:28 am
Banned

Whats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Were you born a twat or did your Mother teach you?

Think you need to wash your arse - I can smell you from here.
All of the above.

Obviously the neighbour down the road has a big cock otherwise you'd be all over him like tinea about his trapping practices.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:35 am
Banned

What is it with all these deleted posts?

Soft as shite!

Gaylord? Impressive rhetoric.

Last edited by Whats that smell...; Dec 28th 2011 at 8:54 am.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:08 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever hunted humans,interesting game,humans can be very wily.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:34 am
Banned

You dont have to hide princess, its only racism thats offensive.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I have trapped and sometimes killed mice, rats, moles and plenty of insects. I've seen animals slaughtered for food - lamb, chicken, fish - and eaten the result. That most 'gentle' of sports, angling, is just hunting for fish. I would not think twice about killing a dog attacking sheep or calves, or a cat or fox attacking chickens. Paying someone else to do the killing out of sight isn't really any different from doing it yourself in the open, at least from the animal's point of view. Animals kill each other, we are animals.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:59 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip

I just wonder what the difference is between this and buying meat in the supermarket - which has also been killed in some manner. Is everyone against fox hunting also a vegetarian?
I don't see the link here. I don't eat meat but 90% of people who do are still disgusted by fox hunting. Eating meat would only correlate to hunting should someone book a seat down an abbatoir to enjoy the slaughter.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:15 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
I have trapped and sometimes killed mice, rats, moles and plenty of insects. I've seen animals slaughtered for food - lamb, chicken, fish - and eaten the result. That most 'gentle' of sports, angling, is just hunting for fish. I would not think twice about killing a dog attacking sheep or calves, or a cat or fox attacking chickens. Paying someone else to do the killing out of sight isn't really any different from doing it yourself in the open, at least from the animal's point of view. Animals kill each other, we are animals.
Tell you what then - next time you are in a bar and an attractive female walks in, get down on your hands and knees and have a good old sniff and lick of her minge. When you wake up in casualty and the police ask for a statement, just give them the 'we are animals' routine.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Tell you what then - next time you are in a bar and an attractive female walks in, get down on your hands and knees and have a good old sniff and lick of her minge. When you wake up in casualty and the police ask for a statement, just give them the 'we are animals' routine.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance that people can stop the personal abuse and get back to a straight debate? Slagging each other off is not a cogent argument, and just makes people look petty/rude.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:47 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Any chance that people can stop the personal abuse and get back to a straight debate? Slagging each other off is not a cogent argument, and just makes people look petty/rude.
Don't worry, overnight there was a change in air quality, the smell it appears has now gone
Now back on topic; I'm going out hunting for our lunch. Fish could be on the menu
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:20 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Don't worry, overnight there was a change in air quality, the smell it appears has now gone
Now back on topic; I'm going out hunting for our lunch. Fish could be on the menu
Took yer tine.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... My pennys worth...

Grew up with fox hunting as part of my way of life, we kept chickens... That we ate and had as layers too....it may be "old hat" the fox in a coop arguement.. But until you've lost the ENTIRE contents of your henhouse, some hens you've known for years and raised from chicks, and rely on the egg money for your weekly beano comic then dont judge me...

We kept pigs that we slaughtered and ate, we had lambs etc... I fish, I used to shoot... We grew up killing rabbits and pheasants, with shotguns...

I'm not vegetarian.. Have no intention of becoming so and am more than happy to kill, gut and cook my kill....

When you take your chicken breast portion or neatly wrapped kilo of minced beef off the shelf at woolies think about how it lived and died... Would you do it? No?

I would, and a lot more "humanely" than the battery farmed produce that ends up on the shelves in supermarkets.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:48 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ok... My pennys worth...

Grew up with fox hunting as part of my way of life, we kept chickens... That we ate and had as layers too....it may be "old hat" the fox in a coop arguement.. But until you've lost the ENTIRE contents of your henhouse, some hens you've known for years and raised from chicks, and rely on the egg money for your weekly beano comic then dont judge me...

We kept pigs that we slaughtered and ate, we had lambs etc... I fish, I used to shoot... We grew up killing rabbits and pheasants, with shotguns...

I'm not vegetarian.. Have no intention of becoming so and am more than happy to kill, gut and cook my kill....

When you take your chicken breast portion or neatly wrapped kilo of minced beef off the shelf at woolies think about how it lived and died... Would you do it? No?

I would, and a lot more "humanely" than the battery farmed produce that ends up on the shelves in supermarkets.
As I posted previously, I don't condone killing animals for sport... but for food and protection of stock... I agree there's a place for it.

That said, I have never had the guts to kill an animal for fear of messing it up. So, what is the kindest way to bump off a chicken Eddie?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.