Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Not sure if this makes sense but should we have to be translating from our own native language so people can use our services. Councils have departments that translate documents for non english speaking people. Its not just about whether the person does a good job and pays taxes its the bigger picture about how they integrate to the English way of life. We are definately having to accept a new England.

I am getting a big chip on my shoulder about being a white, able bodied english speaking person!!! I am not sure I fit in anymore. England has gone PC mad.

If what I right offends please give me your view and perhaps I can change my outlook.
Does the same thing concern you about Australia, or are you worried you won't fit in there for the same reasons? Public hospitals in Oz display signs/booklets in several languages, and translation services are offered. The ATO does the same - on the website you can bring up ATO documentation in different languages (not sure how many but I know Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Italian and Japanese are all on there.....and not forgetting Polish of course )

I'm not trying to make an Oz/Uk argument, but just asking the question, is it really any different anywhere else?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny reading this forum and people complaining about things being in another language, yet where I live in Spain many Brits expect the Spanish to speak to them in English and have things written in English, yet it isn't their language either. Some signs about the place also do have them in English and German since there are a high influx of Brits there. The hospitals do have translators usually volunteers in many cases. So what is the difference.

With regard to work, many people are also going to Oz and will be taking jobs of Australians, so what is the difference with others coming into UK and doing the same? It will be employers market, where there is supply of workers, companies will drop their prices to compete for the consumers money. If you don't like other Europeans coming into the UK or foreigners, then you should re think about Australia as you are likely to live next door to loads of foreigners from different countries and you will also have Australians moaning about you taking jobs from other Australians......no difference....
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I know they are doing road works on the A49 on the Shropshire/Cheshire border area and have put up lots of diversion and road signs in Polish. Apparently tho, (so says the local council), this is for Polish lorry drivers (and not local Polish population) who don't understand the signs and keep getting into trouble.

That's right. They're doing it in other parts of the country, too.

At least they're doing it for the right reason !
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elmtree
That's right. They're doing it in other parts of the country, too.

At least they're doing it for the right reason !
Its a fair point but I think Australia / UK have a pretty good swap with jobs.Lots of Australians come here to work and earn an honest living and lots of Brit go to Oz to hopefully do the same. I hope but perhaps I am wrong Australia has a good immigration policy that works well for its country. We have basically opened up our boards to the rest of Europe and non English speaking people. We have no way of monitoring how many people are our country at the moment.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:06 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Its a fair point but I think Australia / UK have a pretty good swap with jobs.Lots of Australians come here to work and earn an honest living and lots of Brit go to Oz to hopefully do the same. I hope but perhaps I am wrong Australia has a good immigration policy that works well for its country. We have basically opened up our boards to the rest of Europe and non English speaking people. We have no way of monitoring how many people are our country at the moment.

oooo you cant go around saying stuff like that ... its the truth !!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you all think that Centrelink advertises for staff who speak different ethnic languages?

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why do you all think that Centrelink advertises for staff who speak different ethnic languages?

G
The thing is I could do with someone giving me an alternative rational intelligent view so I didn't have these views. I can't say I have huge amounts of evidence to make it all up but just a feeling I am starting to get with the UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

The thing is I could do with someone giving me an alternative rational intelligent view so I didn't have these views. I can't say I have huge amounts of evidence to make it all up but just a feeling I am starting to get with the UK.
PoppetUK nothing ever stays the same, maybe time is all that is needed.

Think of the 'Chinatowns' in cities all over the world, imagine what some locals may have been saying when those areas were at their genesis.

In Melbourne we have a very diverse population. For example, this city is said to have the third largest Greek population in the world, and our large Italian community gave us "Little Italy" in Carlton, where our cafe culture was born.

Melbourne is enriched by the diverse cultural presence of many nationalities and their contribution and impact on our culture can't be understated.

Last edited by Womat; Feb 23rd 2007 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:59 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I know what his post was about.....and where it was meant to lead.

G
sorry grayling but my post was not suppose to lead anywhere,how refreshing that for the last eight hours you have all had a healthy discussion and it has not ended up in a bust up..

sorry but if you think that is what i tried to start you are wrong..i read some intersting news in the paper and passed it on.others obviously found it intersting or else they would not of bothered posting...

i really dont want to start a row with anyone including you ,i am moving to australia as an immigrant myself to make a better life for me and my family,just as others are here in the u.k.i hope that i meet someone who treats me as good as an immigrant as i treated those polish chaps that worked for me.when i had finished with their services they all clubbed together to buy me and my family a present.i must of done something right,...

i am sorry that you seem to have the wrong impression of me..

aston

Last edited by aston man; Feb 23rd 2007 at 4:38 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:02 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
To your everyday Pole, £100 for a shift is a kings ransom. that's enough to pay for the rent, some food and beer and to send some back home. They also work very hard for their money, concientious and skilled too.

Market forces will dictate that employers will generally employ cheaper workers who do a better job...

S
Noticed a polish builder on my rounds today. Had a board outside the house he was working on - 'Blah Blah Construction, Polish owned, Polish ran, Polish staffed - Professionalism like never seen at highly competitive prices.'!!!

FFS, they are that confident in their work, they are even touting for business based on the fact that they are Polish!!!!

Edited to say (before some do-gooder jumps on me) that I have np problem with the above and am in favour! Good for them I say! The fact of the matter is, they work harder, for less.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
It's funny reading this forum and people complaining about things being in another language, yet where I live in Spain many Brits expect the Spanish to speak to them in English and have things written in English, yet it isn't their language either. Some signs about the place also do have them in English and German since there are a high influx of Brits there. The hospitals do have translators usually volunteers in many cases. So what is the difference.
Difference ? None - its just a bunch of completely arrogant British people who refused to intergrate into another country. They should be forced to learn Spanish - and I mean that sincerely. Why not - we enforce people being able to speak English.

Perhaps Spain wouldnt be full of "a certain attitude" of British person if that happened.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Why not - we enforce people being able to speak English.

If you mean "we" as in Australia, then no, you don't enforce people to speak English. Certain immigration regulations require some prospective migrants to have English-language ability, but not all. For example, spouses/children/parents of economic migrants are not always required to pass an English language test. Political migrants do not need to pass an English language test either.

It's not always as simple as "refusal to integrate" - learning a language takes time and you need to cater for new/recent arrivals. (Mind you, I know people who migrated to Oz in the '50s who barely speak a word of English - but these are women who never went out to work and had little dealings with life outside the family home.)

Surely by providing translation services/language assistance you are helping people to integrate, rather than alienating them?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man

i am sorry that you seem to have the wrong impression of me..
I don't particularly have any impression of you Aston.

It is just that this subject has been 'done to death' on here....and ,as you well know, it usually ends in a row whether you intended it or not.

The reality is that we live in a global world and people are more mobile than ever and more prepared to move to seek a better situation....as you will find when you see all the Asian people in Australia.....many of whom can not speak English either.

The UK is not the only country experiencing changes due to greater mobility.....there are just as many East Europeans going to countries such as Spain....and Australia has always had migrants from all over the world...and will continue to do so.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
If you mean "we" as in Australia, then no, you don't enforce people to speak English. Certain immigration regulations require some prospective migrants to have English-language ability, but not all. For example, spouses/children/parents of economic migrants are not always required to pass an English language test. Political migrants do not need to pass an English language test either.

It's not always as simple as "refusal to integrate" - learning a language takes time and you need to cater for new/recent arrivals. (Mind you, I know people who migrated to Oz in the '50s who barely speak a word of English - but these are women who never went out to work and had little dealings with life outside the family home.)

Surely by providing translation services/language assistance you are helping people to integrate, rather than alienating them?
As the OP's said this thread wasnt supposed to be serious and not another daily mail "only the UK has problems" thread. The following points then.

Masses of trade migrants are coming to OZ, do people think that does not affect wages here?? These problems not specific to the UK.

Perth, housing market is now slowing, immigrant migrants arrive daily how long does that go on for before it affects the rates? Theres already been tens of thousands of of migrants brought in from asia as cheap labour, media made much of them working for $12 an hour. Now without discussing race you get plenty of tradie migrants here offering cheap labour as they cant get jobs.

As for signs in foreign langage, Whats new? in OZ many places have signs in japanese, and some in several languages, holidayed here in the 90's they had the japanese ones way back then.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

shelia & brucie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I was told by my mother that Bradford was going to be re-named, due to the high occupancy of Muslims there. It is going to be the first city with a muslim name.
WHAT IS IT GOING TO BE CALLED THEN?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.