Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

hmmm....before I left Qld back in '95 they had street signs in Japanese for the tourists....that didn't sit well with Aussies at the time.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
well amazulu ,as said earlier,they are real grafters,they are very polite and trust worthy,i have had a couple on for me,i did not pay them cheap labour though i paid them the same as everyone else.they were better workers than my lads and never moaned.
i packed in taking on big jobs because i could not stand the moaning from my blokes,its not surprising why employers want to employ polish...
I've worked with Poles in the past, aand this is absolutely true. I work with one in my current company, and he really does do the work of two people. He's always on the go.

Also, I have taught polish kids in schools, and the same attitude is reflected there - work always up to date, homework always completed on time, books always kept neat and tidy, never late to lessons. It's just a shame that the lunatic English kids don't take a leaf from their book...

S
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

My paternal grandmother was a Pole. They're great people, for all the reasons listed so far - and more. I'd be happy to have more of them in Australia.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Originally Posted by Centurion

UK is now the worlds biggest laugh of a multicultural experiment.
I'm never quite sure what "multiculturism" means.

Does it just mean its literal sense - i.e. many cultures in one country?

Or is about integration?
Both of the above.

Many cultures in one nation, integrated but not assimilated.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 23rd 2007 at 6:41 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Your comments are echoed by employers in Perth.

Many unions here have bitten the hands that feed them and employers are starting to bring in foreign labour because they are, as you have said, real grafters and don't down tools at the slightest opportunity.

Is this an example?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...8-1245,00.html

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:44 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

History of the Polish Community in Birmingham.

Poles have been in Brum since the 40s.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nope. That's an example of a company shafting migrant workers.

A subtle difference - of which I know you are aware.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. That's an example of a company shafting migrant workers.

A subtle difference - of which I know you are aware.

Just pointing out that there is another side to all this. It is not just migrant workers who like mobility of labour.....many employers also cash in on it.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
History of the Polish Community in Birmingham.

Poles have been in Brum since the 40s.
there is quite a large community in Peterborough close to where I used to live before I moved to Perth. My Mum used to go there to get these lovely biscuits when I was a kid, they were soft and a bit spicy (as in cinnamon type spice) and covered in dark chocolate. They were yummy.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:05 am
Bitter and twisted

There is also a Polish community in Perth.

There are also several different ethnic communities

http://www.multicultural.online.wa.g...embership.html

I sometimes wonder if people who start this sort of discussion really understand the multicultural makeup of Australia.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:07 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I was told by my mother that Bradford was going to be re-named, due to the high occupancy of Muslims there. It is going to be the first city with a muslim name.
I thought they had Bradistan?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes wonder if people who start this sort of discussion really understand the multicultural makeup of Australia.

G
does that mean I might be able to get the biccys I remember in Perth then.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

G

I agree.

(There, I've gone from prosecutor to advocate in two posts...)
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by northernbird
does that mean I might be able to get the biccys I remember in Perth then.

I bet you can....if you know where to look.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

G
You didn't seem to read Aston's first post. He was asking if his current experience was being repeated in other parts of the country - ie UK. Pull your neck in G.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.