Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:54 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default how things are changing in the u.k..!!

i was reading in my local news paper last night how polish is now the second language in my home town.
my wife told me last week that they had started to put up street signs in polish ,i thought she was pulling my leg until i saw them for myself.

not that it bothers me in the slightest they are all hard working people and i'm off.

i dont think my partner would have the same opinion as me though ,hes just doubled his mortgage and the rug has been pulled from under us in the building trade..we have had to watch our wages halve in the last two years.this year is bordering on recession.bricklayers were earning £200 a day finishing at 3 and doing half a shift on a friday.not anymore there is talk now of £100 a shift..

i dont know if other parts of the country are the same?

aston..

Last edited by aston man; Feb 23rd 2007 at 3:59 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Polish signs ???

If thats true then honestly the UK is now the worlds biggest laugh of a multicultural experiment. Or was it already - I forget...
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told by my mother that Bradford was going to be re-named, due to the high occupancy of Muslims there. It is going to be the first city with a muslim name.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I was told by my mother that Bradford was going to be re-named, due to the high occupancy of Muslims there. It is going to be the first city with a muslim name.

That really does NOT suprise me!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:20 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

my brother in law has not worked ,from before christmas.he was with the same company for about two years as a self employed partitioner,he just cannot compete with cheap labour..guess where he is on about going..jeez
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
my brother in law has not worked ,from before christmas.he was with the same company for about two years as a self employed partitioner,he just cannot compete with cheap labour..guess where he is on about going..jeez
Poland?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bridie
Poland?
i was going to put that myself..nice one .

aston
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

i was reading in my local news paper last night how polish is now the second language in my home town.
my wife told me last week that they had started to put up street signs in polish ,i thought she was pulling my leg until i saw them for myself.

not that it bothers me in the slightest they are all hard working people and i'm off.

i dont think my partner would have the same opinion as me though ,hes just doubled his mortgage and the rug has been pulled from under us in the building trade..we have had to watch our wages halve in the last two years.this year is bordering on recession.bricklayers were earning £200 a day finishing at 3 and doing half a shift on a friday.not anymore there is talk now of £100 a shift..

i dont know if other parts of the country are the same?

aston..
To your everyday Pole, £100 for a shift is a kings ransom. that's enough to pay for the rent, some food and beer and to send some back home. They also work very hard for their money, concientious and skilled too.

Market forces will dictate that employers will generally employ cheaper workers who do a better job...

S
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Centurion;4444595]

UK is now the worlds biggest laugh of a multicultural experiment. QUOTE]

I'm never quite sure what "multiculturism" means.

Does it just mean its literal sense - i.e. many cultures in one country?

Or is about integration?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
To your everyday Pole, £100 for a shift is a kings ransom. that's enough to pay for the rent, some food and beer and to send some back home. They also work very hard for their money, concientious and skilled too.

Market forces will dictate that employers will generally employ cheaper workers who do a better job...

S
GBP100 is roughly GBP25k or AUD62k per year. I think that is about the average salary in both Countries? Plenty of British and Australian people would be over the moon with GBP100 or AUD250 per day.
I like the Polish. They have more in common with the west that Muslim communities and they don't hate us.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
GBP100 is roughly GBP25k or AUD62k per year. I think that is about the average salary in both Countries? Plenty of British and Australian people would be over the moon with GBP100 or AUD250 per day.
I like the Polish. They have more in common with the west that Muslim communities and they don't hate us.

well amazulu ,as said earlier,they are real grafters,they are very polite and trust worthy,i have had a couple on for me,i did not pay them cheap labour though i paid them the same as everyone else.they were better workers than my lads and never moaned.
i packed in taking on big jobs because i could not stand the moaning from my blokes,its not surprising why employers want to employ polish...

Last edited by aston man; Feb 23rd 2007 at 5:03 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=NKSK version 2;4444735]
Originally Posted by Centurion

UK is now the worlds biggest laugh of a multicultural experiment. QUOTE]

I'm never quite sure what "multiculturism" means.

Does it just mean its literal sense - i.e. many cultures in one country?

Or is about integration?
When I worked for the police, the essence of multiculturalism meant people of different cultural/religious/ethnic backgrounds living in any defined community, be it a street, district, suburb, town or city. It can pretty much be bent/twisted to incorporate any kind of situation where you have two or more different groups in close proximity
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

well amazulu ,as said earlier,they are real grafters,they are very polite and trust worthy,i have had a couple on for me,i did not pay them cheap labour though i paid them the same as everyone else.they were better workers than my lads and never moaned.
Your comments are echoed by employers in Perth.

Many unions here have bitten the hands that feed them and employers are starting to bring in foreign labour because they are, as you have said, real grafters and don't down tools at the slightest opportunity.

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Feb 23rd 2007 at 5:01 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Swerv-o;4444756]
Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

When I worked for the police, the essence of multiculturalism meant people of different cultural/religious/ethnic backgrounds living in any defined community, be it a street, district, suburb, town or city. It can pretty much be bent/twisted to incorporate any kind of situation where you have two or more different groups in close proximity
Yes - that definition sits most at ease with me.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:26 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They have more in common with the west that Muslim communities and they don't hate us.
that's a fair comment - I think the Poles do have more of a shared sense of culture than most if not all of the islamic peoples.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.