Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How snobbish are you?

How snobbish are you?

Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: How snobbish are you?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Do you judge people by the area that they live in? I have read on here a few times 'Oh I wouldnt live NOR/SOR' kind of thing almost as though it is a crime to live in a certain area.

Or 'I hate Ute/Commordore drivers' etc.

Personally, IMO it doesnt matter where you live, what you drive its the person that counts and not everyone can afford the big car/big house in the 'perfect area'.

So come on, who has judged someone because of where they live or what they drive, does it really matter?

I live SOR and have had the odd comments 'Oh the bogans live there and Secret Harbour is much better'.

Does it matter?
Hi PP, this probably is a totally dumb question - but what is NOR/SOR?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:12 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags
Hi PP, this probably is a totally dumb question - but what is NOR/SOR?
Sounds like two new types of flu
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Sounds like two new types of flu

I think I have figured it out BB - having read the rest of the thread I think it means North of the River and South of the River.

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys if somebody lives on a houseboat slap bang in the middle of the river! It's the person that counts.

I have met a few astoundingly wealthy but even more astoundingly crass and arrogant snobs NOR but most people I have encountered are friendly and down to earth either way (we have stayed in both).
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't judge someone by the area they live in but yes I would want to and do live in a good area.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:26 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im no snob but i def would not want to live next door to a BE MOD
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:28 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Aye ye wid ye big liar !
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:30 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Aye ye wid ye big liar !
that's wee liar to you
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:41 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

that's wee liar to you
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oi!!! Watch it or I'll withdraw my offer of buying you that pint later.....nothing wrong with living next door to a Mod, if its me just leave room for me to park the broom
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you judge people by the area that they live in? I have read on here a few times 'Oh I wouldnt live NOR/SOR' kind of thing almost as though it is a crime to live in a certain area.

Or 'I hate Ute/Commordore drivers' etc.

Personally, IMO it doesnt matter where you live, what you drive its the person that counts and not everyone can afford the big car/big house in the 'perfect area'.

So come on, who has judged someone because of where they live or what they drive, does it really matter?

I live SOR and have had the odd comments 'Oh the bogans live there and Secret Harbour is much better'.

Does it matter?
I think it depends on the motivation of the post. I think you have to try and strike a balance between letting new immigrants know the background of various area's so they can make up their own mind about what suits them - without insulting all and sundry who already live here with gross generalisations.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr PP picked up a cheap Commordore and someone said to him in utter disgust, 'oh they are bogan cars, can you not afford a decent 4wd?'

And yes, it was a POM that said it.

And I am afraid to say it hasnt been the first time such shallow judgement has been made.

I mean, does it really matter what kind of car you drive providing you drive sensibly and the car is road safe?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:24 am

Mr PP picked up a cheap Commordore and someone said to him in utter disgust, 'oh they are bogan cars, can you not afford a decent 4wd?'

And yes, it was a POM that said it.

And I am afraid to say it hasnt been the first time such shallow judgement has been made.

I mean, does it really matter what kind of car you drive providing you drive sensibly and the car is road safe?
Erm no....cue Nissan Micra drivers
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Erm no....cue Nissan Micra drivers
Cue - drink drivers - now they are the type of people that I cant abide, so I guess that could make me a snob.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:47 am

Cue - drink drivers - now they are the type of people that I cant abide, so I guess that could make me a snob.
Yeah drink drivers too!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a receptionist at work once what a Bogan is - (Hadn't been here long - I really wasn't sure???).
She seemed embarrassed, laughed and said she was a bogan or would deemed to be a bogan because of the area she lived in and the type of house she could afford to rent. Oh and because she favoured wearing jeans and checked shirts
She was immaculate at work, well spoken - as in not using loads of slang/swearing or whatever being well spoken means, being very efficient and courteous to the public and I couldn't imagine her not being immaculate at home/leisure (checked shirt and hair down or not).
No I don't judge people by where they live.
I will say I have been really irritated by people judging me by taste in music though (and I have avast taste from classical to punk). Like you're a moron and low life if you listen to anything that they deem crap and if you don't like their choice. Really, it's only personal taste - does it matter in the grand scheme of things. If my marriage was based on music taste we would never have got past the first date!!!
I had a long standing ''friend'' who I hadn't seen in a while, we had music on at home and I had such a tirade of insults based on my preferences (they also got to play their preferences) that I gave a piece of my mind that is not how I conduct a friendship and friendly night in listening to music. That was 8 years ago and I have never heard from that ''friend'' since .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.