Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How snobbish are you?

How snobbish are you?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:24 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How snobbish are you?

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
They can read and drive at the same time

Some of us can't read
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
See posts 61 & 68
Please don't judge me on the bile I spout here Dorothy ... this place is just a plaything for me these days ... a bit of light relief when I get bored.

Me a snob? I drive a bottle Green 2001 Corolla for ****s sake!

Keep on smiling ...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Three Legs

Keep on smiling ...
...but I bet you claim its British Racing Green.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't judge me on the bile I spout here Dorothy ... this place is just a plaything for me these days ... a bit of light relief when I get bored.

Keep on smiling ...
I know; I've seen it. Kind of hard to miss the number plate.

Don't take everything I say seriously either, 3.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Keep on smiling ...
Three legs
You drive a green corolla and i wonder if you play poker at the boat?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Isn't there a law against this sort of thing ... ?

Originally Posted by jsvk
Three legs
You drive a green corolla and i wonder if you play poker at the boat?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:37 am
Account Closed

... *rubs chin, taps nose & nods head knowingly* ...

I know; I've seen it. Kind of hard to miss the number plate.

Don't take everything I say seriously either, 3.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

... *rubs chin, taps nose & nods head knowingly* ...
Not that I'm a stalker or anything, but I know where you work, too. I followed you there one day...Not that I was following you, but you just happened to be in front of me. (All the way from home to your work)
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:46 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm a stalker or anything, but I know where you work, too. I followed you there one day...Not that I was following you, but you just happened to be in front of me. (All the way from home to your work)
bunny boiler
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:47 am
Account Closed

You'll have to tail me Monday ... there will be a new route

Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
bunny boiler
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:52 am
Account Closed

'Lotus Green' actually ...

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...but I bet you claim its British Racing Green.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jsvk
I don't know why you're laughing...it's YOU next
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

I remember in a lecture at ECU ,they were talking about us being upper class as we could afford to be at uniMost of the young kids had to work to pay for their fees,food,accommodation and utilities.I was lucky my oh was earning enough to enable me to go to uni.They were also discussing the use of dummies (pacifiers) and the lecturer stated that mainly working class used these!!! wtf. 1 of my kids had one the other 2 didn't.I said probably the upper classes don't spend the same amount of time with their kids as a nanny is usually on hand to deal with the kids hence not the same need for a dummy.I recon i am working class, although i was in a profession and completed my degree.I worked for a living, not just for the social interaction but to pay the bills.

My mum saw someone she went to primary school with while we were having lunch in a department store in Dundee (Scotland). the woman was putting on airs and graces and being very loud and demanding.My mum (god help me) turned to me and said "fur coat and nay knickers" She remembered how this woman had to share her sunday coat with 2 other sisters.Apparently she married into money. Mum stated "if they are born into it,they are mostly unpretentious and don't go on about what they have'. I was so embarrassed at my mother.She also puts her posh voice on when answering the phone!!!!.(think she may be deemed a snob)
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How snobbish are you?

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
Mum stated "if they are born into it,they are mostly unpretentious and don't go on about what they have'.
Your mother is entirely correct. The upper classes and aristocracy are not obssessed with money and possessions; they don't need to be. They already have a very clear understanding of who they are and what they're worth, so there is nothing to prove and no need for ostentation.

It is only the working and middle classes who feel a need to display their wealth as a way of asserting their identity and (relative) importance. "Keeping up with the Jonses" is a classic example of class-based insecurity, and it is significant that we do not find this in the upper echelons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.