Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How often do you have your aircon on?

How often do you have your aircon on?

Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: How often do you have your aircon on?

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I find the ceiling fans great - its just over 30 deg in the shade on my patio now and I have the ceiling fans on and most blinds 1/2 closed and its bearable (worst in my office with 2 computers etc running but doing my last timesheets for the year!).

I hate aircon - makes me too cold but will occasionally put it on in the bedrooms for 1/2 an hour before bed.
We have ceiling fans in the childrens bedrooms and they are more than sufficient to keep the rooms bearable. Problem is, is that there are no fans in the rest of the house or in our bedroom, so we do feel disgustingly hot. The house is also not insulated at all - typical rental.

We are currently renovating a house and have had all the walls and ceilings insulated with ceiling fans installed. We have just had one split level a/c installed in the living room for the truly unbearable days (anything over 35).

I am hoping that the insulation will make a bit of a difference.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Our aircon does tend to go on just once a year:

on at the end of October and off at the end of March!!!

...ok - not really , but it does get a thorough working over when its warm and runs 24hrs a day. We try and put it into just 'fan' mode overnight so we can open some windows, but once our roof cavity has warmed up for the summer thats it as soon as the air-con is off the house starts heating up QUICKLY - insulation can only do so much when the air temp in the cavity is around 80C!!!! (Perhaps its time we installed some whilrybird vents? )

Cost wise it doesnt seem to be too bad - our fully ducted house elecy bills are perhaps 30% more in summer months than winter? (We never use the heating)
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
(Perhaps its time we installed some whilrybird vents? )
You don't have whirly birds ?

I would get one or two installed, they do make a difference.

You can also get the powered one's, which I would be tempted to get next time, as they really move the hot air out, especially when it is not windy.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:19 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You don't have whirly birds ?

I would get one or two installed, they do make a difference.

You can also get the powered one's, which I would be tempted to get next time, as they really move the hot air out, especially when it is not windy.
our air con goes on goes off numerous times a day especially when the bloody kids keep forgetting to keep the doors closed we are going to have some ceiling fans put in none in this house when we bought it but air con units in every room, in the rental we had before we bought they had reverse cycle air con and fans it was absolutely lovely hmmmm
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:25 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Has anyone managed with just ceiling fans? I've heard people saying how noisy and environmentally unfriendly it is and in the old days they just had fans.
We have just ceiling fans, they're quite nice but they don't cut it on the really hot days. I've never been a fan of air con.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

We have evap but tis on its last legs. Whats the best to have. Ive heard evap is great cuz its to dry and leaves fresh air circulating the house. When it comes time to replace I imagine reverse cycle would be more practical ?
Also on ceiling fans we want to buy new one and rip out the old one and put new one in a different ceiling light. Is this easy job for a sparky ? And does anyone know anyone who will do it for fifty bucks and a couple of beers

Last edited by twhurl; Dec 20th 2008 at 9:57 am.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:46 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I have hardly ever used the air con up until this summer we only have the one unit in one bedroom and has been on the last few weeks through the night set at 27, its been 39 in the house at 10pm most nights with windows and doors open and fans on!, during the day i find the ceiling fans work great but there too noisy at night. not had a duvet on the bed since end of august!

we just got a whirly bird fitted and that has made a big difference so were going to get another one fitted soon, either that or we might have to migrate south for the summer
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by twhurl
Also on ceiling fans we want to buy new one and rip out the old one and put new one in a different ceiling light. Is this easy job for a sparky ? And does anyone know anyone who will do it for fifty bucks and a couple of beers
Most electricians charge us about $65 for a ceiling fan installation, that should cover it, if the wiring is already there from the old one.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Most electricians charge us about $65 for a ceiling fan installation, that should cover it, if the wiring is already there from the old one.
ABC... you are just a mindfield of information!

Em x
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:43 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Steve'O are you out there? Or any other sparkies?

How easy is it to fix a ceiling fan/light combo in place of an existing light fitting? The current light switch is a pullcord so the fan itself would have to have controls.

(Note I am not asking if it's illegal to fit them yourself )

Ta x
Apparently, info from our resident electrician is that most lights will swop to a fan if you get a remote control one as they don't need the extra wire some fans need.

But then which is the best fan to get is the problem as there are so many that look tacky and crap and you can't tell if they are heavy duty enough.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:58 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We had a couple of pedestal fans in our rental - waste of time - we used to wake up it puddles of our own sweat! Nasty!

We have evaporative now and it runs most of the time during summer when there is anyone in the house, but mainly just on fan rather than AC. With the doors and windows open it creates plenty of breeze. The AC is not hugely effective but on the hottest days (40C+) the house is about 30C in the arvo without it and the AC brings it down to a bearable 25C. I believe it is bad for you to keep the house at 20C and go from 40C to 20C all the time.

Based on our bills, it probably costs about $1/day to run - the price of half a stubby.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:03 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Has anyone managed with just ceiling fans? I've heard people saying how noisy and environmentally unfriendly it is and in the old days they just had fans.
Still the "old days" up here. I'm not a fan of aircon, neither is Deb. Aircon just takes you from one extreme to the other. Better IMO to stay the same temp & use fans to create a breeze.
Originally Posted by fraser
We have just ceiling fans, they're quite nice but they don't cut it on the really hot days. I've never been a fan of air con.
We have ceiling fans in every room 'cept the little one They work well for us on all but the hottest days.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:43 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Not really changing the subject, but can you get the little fan silencers here?

We have fans in most rooms: two of them are Bunnings cheapos and they make a mains-frequency hum when they turn.

In the States you can get a little thing which you fit into the electrics of the fan and it cuts out the hum.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

................. All the bloody time! The little children have all had temps of 39-40degrees the last few months! They are ok now, but feels like i never have the godamn thing off in our bedroom, its freezing! might as well live in the UK! LOL.....

we just use fans usually though, for the breeze. dont use aircon in car either, just makes it worse... we live on sunny coast. x S-j
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Once last year . . . switched it on around November and off about March.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.