Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How often do you have your aircon on?

How often do you have your aircon on?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you have your aircon on?

Originally Posted by Wendy
I bought a portable evaporative cooler from Bunnings for something like $80 last year. I use that in the bedroom overnight, it cools the room down and I find I don't get as dehydrated when it's on (it's very dry here in SA in the summer) Might be worth a try for you

Just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to Wendy for this tip - bought an $80 Sunair cooler in Bunnings last evening after having a few nights of waking up drowning in sweat (I really must learn to swim ) and it's F-A-B. Not quiet, but then we're used to going to sleep with a fan and sometimes aircon on as well so it didn't bother us at all. Just had it on a few hours in the night when I woke up warm - comes with a remote control thingy. Much easier than installing a ceiling fan and cheaper too.

Now just need to get counselling for one of my cats, who is totally traumatised after my mean husband kept switching it on remotely whilst said cat was investigating it. Ah, boys and their toys.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

We've got ducted aircon in our house, but not sure it's working properly. Does anyone know if they should be serviced?. In our main family room, the ducts never seem to work.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by flodsfive
We've got ducted aircon in our house, but not sure it's working properly. Does anyone know if they should be serviced?. In our main family room, the ducts never seem to work.

Thanks for any help in advance.
YES ! Ducted air needs regular servicing...

The ducts can get clogged with material that may contain bacteria, and this can then be transmitted back into the house, causing various illnesses etc.

Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Thanks ABC, Can you recommend anyone, we are northern Gold Coast.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, absolutely. In Singapore it's in most Tenancy Agreements that you must get it serviced at least once a quarter. Apart from the risk of illness, if it's not working efficiently it will cost you more to run.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by flodsfive
Thanks ABC, Can you recommend anyone, we are northern Gold Coast.
Sorry, can't help with that, but I did find a page on cleaning the filters at: http://www.designair.com.au/news.aspx

Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, I will organise a service.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Well it's bloody hot here today, 35 degrees at one point. I hate putting the aircon on but I just couldn't help myself.

My husband would have it on as soon as he comes home from work until we go to bed in in this heat (but he does have a manual job so he loves to cool down).

Why do I feel guilty about using it? Is it because I'm a tight arse and just think about how much it's costing me
Hi
Well I have the aircon on when im in the house lol, bit not over night, not looking forward to the bill though....

sharon
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:14 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwilldoit
Hi
Well I have the aircon on when im in the house lol, bit not over night, not looking forward to the bill though....

sharon
Well, we've got a multi-phase Daikin ducted system in our house and it's been on a lot in the evenings and during the day but our latest electricity bill showed a marginal increase on the last bill.

Also, whilst observing the digital display of our electricity meter I put our air-conditioning system on high and on all zones and the last digit took a respectively long-time to change.

I think it proves that air-conditioning systems can be efficient depending on which one you choose?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Well, we've got a multi-phase Daikin ducted system in our house and it's been on a lot in the evenings and during the day but our latest electricity bill showed a marginal increase on the last bill.

Also, whilst observing the digital display of our electricity meter I put our air-conditioning system on high and on all zones and the last digit took a respectively long-time to change.

I think it proves that air-conditioning systems can be efficient depending on which one you choose?
Ditto. I have Daikin ducted system as well. I had it installed a couple of years ago and when its just cooling I don't think its too expensive to run at all... now heating is another matter !
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:28 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Ditto. I have Daikin ducted system as well. I had it installed a couple of years ago and when its just cooling I don't think its too expensive to run at all... now heating is another matter !
Our external unit (with the very thin metallic cooling elements on the outside) were damaged by the hail-storms of yesteryear. That's the only downside to our Daikin. It would be so simple to provide a guard for the cooling elements?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Our external unit (with the very thin metallic cooling elements on the outside) were damaged by the hail-storms of yesteryear. That's the only downside to our Daikin. It would be so simple to provide a guard for the cooling elements?
I hadn't thought of that. Mine are, hopefully, on a reasonably sheltered side of the house but I might give some thought to protecting them. Not sure how at first thought though. Keeping the hail out while still allowing air in is the obvious problem.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We do not use ours a lot at all in Melbourne, we live on top of a hill between the two bays so get a breeze every evening. We have verandas all around the house so the bricks never get hot a steel roof which cools down quickly and we never open the windows or doors when its going to be hot. Keep drapes and blinds drawn in the early part of the day. That way the house stays cool most of the day and we only use the aircon if we are going to have a hot night or its humid which is not often here.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:30 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I hadn't thought of that. Mine are, hopefully, on a reasonably sheltered side of the house but I might give some thought to protecting them. Not sure how at first thought though. Keeping the hail out while still allowing air in is the obvious problem.
I think a thin metal-mesh screen, with significantly large enough holes, should do the trick.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:12 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
YES ! Ducted air needs regular servicing...

The ducts can get clogged with material that may contain bacteria, and this can then be transmitted back into the house, causing various illnesses etc.
Out of interest how regular is regular? I hadn't thought to ask the letting agents when ours was last serviced - I'm sure there's no mention of it in the tenancy agreement so no doubt it will be at our expense. Does anyone have any idea how much this costs a pop?

Oh, for what it's worth ours is on for a few hours every day during the summer. In the morning to clear the air, late morning and late afternoon and then early evening to cool down the bedrooms. We usually have it set at about 26c. The rest of the time the windows are open. We haven't been here long enough to see how much this much use will cost us!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.