Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:36 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
That's quite funny. I didn't mean French people don't drink or get drunk! But they don't seem to get into fights and puke their guts up in the street in the same way some Brits/Aussies like to.
What about the Yank "schoolies"?
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/g...007115,00.html
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
That's quite funny. I didn't mean French people don't drink or get drunk! But they don't seem to get into fights and puke their guts up in the street in the same way some Brits/Aussies like to.
The French are nice gentle people...

Some French newspaper reports...

Civil Unrest in the French Suburbs
The French police arrested close to 2900 rioters; 126 police and firefighters were injured, and there was one fatality – a bystander who died after being ...
http://riotsfrance.ssrc.org
Or a nice quiet football match in France...

Hundreds of football fans took to the streets of Paris and Marseille. Police arrested around 150 people
http://www.france24.com/en/node/4928981

Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And the newspaper are NEVER wrong ..
Much more accurate than anyone's first hand experience..
This is a local country newspaper not a national one!I hardly think they'd be making it up when the residents could easily deny it?Give me a break!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:36 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

The French are nice gentle people...

Some French newspaper reports...

Or a nice quiet football match in France...
http://www.france24.com/en/files/ima...861061-1-0.jpg
Hundreds of football fans took to the streets of Paris and Marseille. Police arrested around 150 people
http://www.france24.com/en/node/4928981
But we were talking about binge drinking not civil unrest.

There are big differences in my opinion between the two.

The articles you posted cannot really been compared to drunken teenagers at schoolies. They are more on par with riots in Bradford, Cronulla, the G20 riots in London or even football hooliganism in the UK in the 1980s. They have much wider poitical and social issues/implications than just people misbehaving because they have had too much grog.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
I must be one of those horror mums - I let my son attend schoolies from Sydney up at Surfers, he bought and paid for his ticket and accommodation with his mates. I was worried and we had some serious chats but he came back tired but happy at the end of the week.

There is a large number of kids who do behave and have a party do not label them all because of media hype.

You also need to look at the American traditions of spring break and bucks nights and hens night to know it is a usual occurance. Idiots will be idiots without the excuse of schoolies.
I'm gonna be a horror Mum too...its just another right of passage thing. If they get arrested for being drunk and disorderly well Its no gonna be my proudest perental moment, but I shouldn't think it would be the worse either. I would feel much worse if my kid got arrested for stealing actually....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Grown ups go to footie matchies, get pissed and get arrested and other things

'Schoolies' go to gold coast get pissed and get arrested and other things.

Hmmm, see the similarity there. Guess whos kids go to schoolies.

JTL
Far out! So every grown up who goes to the footie gets pissed, arrested and eerm, other things. I must come in the "other things" bit cos I go most weeks and haven't been pissed OR arrested? So my 18 year old ( NOT a kid, an adult) who goes to schoolies has unprotected sex, gets the clap, has an abortion and tops it off by getting arrested....?

I'm so glad you think you know about my red necked life so well Jack
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Far out! So every grown up who goes to the footie gets pissed, arrested and eerm, other things. I must come in the "other things" bit cos I go most weeks and haven't been pissed OR arrested? So my 18 year old ( NOT a kid, an adult) who goes to schoolies has unprotected sex, gets the clap, has an abortion and tops it off by getting arrested....?

I've spoken to a few who stayed up at Surfers all last week. Yes they had a drink or two but no, none of them know of anyone having unprotected sex, the clap, an abortion or being arrested. Yes people were arrested, yes people got drunk and yes probably some did have unprotected sex but in all honesty they are probably the ones who would anyway. The vast majority had fun and have good memories. True facts don't sell papers or give the moralists anything to moan about though, do they?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:14 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've spoken to a few who stayed up at Surfers all last week. Yes they had a drink or two but no, none of them know of anyone having unprotected sex, the clap, an abortion or being arrested. Yes people were arrested, yes people got drunk and yes probably some did have unprotected sex but in all honesty they are probably the ones who would anyway. The vast majority had fun and have good memories. True facts don't sell papers or give the moralists anything to moan about though, do they?
Exactly!!

My daughter would chose schoolies over a holiday with us any time. She's choose pins in her eyes rather than be out with us Its great to read the views of those with kids still young and sweet...and compliant!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:19 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm finding that on this particular issue my thoughts are see-sawing between and

I think you need to make an informed decision based on the person that your child grows up to be, not who you may percieve them to be? Remember they will be an adult by then. Hopefully you will know their friends and friends parents and be able to make an informed decision, rather than possibly a knee jerk reaction, one based on tabloid reports
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying they'll all do it, and not all the 'extras' you threw in (did I ever mention clap?I doubt it, its not a word I use, I prefer 'applause'). But as another poster says, the ones who are likely to do those things would do them anyway.

So you think there is no such thing as peer pressure then apparently. Its the ones who wouldn't normally do those things, who are put in an environment where its seen to be 'ok' to do it, and all the KIDS around them are doing it(you know, the ones who would be doing it anyway). You don't think they get a bit swayed by peer pressure into doing things they shouldn't and know they shouldn't do?

JTL
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

School may be out for the tens of thousands of schoolies who have descended on the Gold Coast, but they have still managed to earn a host of bad report cards.

A senior Queensland police officer has labelled the schoolies class of 2009 the worst behaved yet in terms of intoxication. The Gold Coast Mayor, Ron Clarke, has branded them a "blight" on the city and the Gold Coast North Chamber of Commerce wants the event banned.

Tens of thousands of schoolies descend on the Gold Coast every year and the president of the Gold Coast North Chamber of Commerce, Tony White, thinks the event is hurting the region.

"I think they should get rid of the schoolies," he said. "We don't need them at all. It is costing us too much in different ways. It is giving the Gold Coast a terrible image around the country."

And Mr Clarke's main concern is that schoolies are worse this year than other years.

"It has got worse year by year. Even when we tried to do as much as we possibly can - give them free dancing, free everything - the schoolies gradually get worse, unfortunately," he said. "I think a greater percentage have been assaulting. There has been more fights, less respect for the police and the authority and so on. That is the general behaviour. They seem to be more defiant."
(Source).
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

I'm not saying they'll all do it, and not all the 'extras' you threw in (did I ever mention clap?I doubt it, its not a word I use, I prefer 'applause'). But as another poster says, the ones who are likely to do those things would do them anyway.

So you think there is no such thing as peer pressure then apparently. Its the ones who wouldn't normally do those things, who are put in an environment where its seen to be 'ok' to do it, and all the KIDS around them are doing it(you know, the ones who would be doing it anyway). You don't think they get a bit swayed by peer pressure into doing things they shouldn't and know they shouldn't do?

JTL
Don't "apparently"" me Of course there is peer pressure, theres peer pressure on a Friday night down the pub. Theres peer pressure to drive and do burn outs, theres peer pressure to "lose it" (thats still the term they use I believe) Theres peer pressure to smoke, take drugs, have another one for the road, same as there was in our day, same as there is everywhere today. Doesn't mean that they will turn bad because they are away from Mum and Dad for a week. Actually my friends and I ( a big group of us) went to the Costa Del Sol for ten days at 18. We spent most of it asleep, drunk or hungover, but it was bloody great, and I didn't do any of the things that you mentioned. At 18 I think a lot of people have gotten past the peer pressure thing. 15 is more the age of concern...with girls anyway
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't "apparently"" me Of course there is peer pressure, theres peer pressure on a Friday night down the pub. Theres peer pressure to drive and do burn outs, theres peer pressure to "lose it" (thats still the term they use I believe) Theres peer pressure to smoke, take drugs, have another one for the road, same as there was in our day, same as there is everywhere today. Doesn't mean that they will turn bad because they are away from Mum and Dad for a week. Actually my friends and I ( a big group of us) went to the Costa Del Sol for ten days at 18. We spent most of it asleep, drunk or hungover, but it was bloody great, and I didn't do any of the things that you mentioned. At 18 I think a lot of people have gotten past the peer pressure thing. 15 is more the age of concern...with girls anyway
Peer pressure happens all your life.

Apparently
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:30 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Peer pressure happens all your life.

Apparently
I am under a considerable amount of peer pressure to go out with the lads from work next Tuesday. The pressure to go to the pub with them and drink with them is awful. I must resist, really I must.

(Sam marks date in her diary to meet worklads in Perth CBD)
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:39 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till schoolies moves up to Hamilton Island in a few years....

That's where some of the 13 year olds are talking about wanting to go when they reach it. Somewhere quieter and not as stupid.... Problem is, what will it be like then ?

My daughter wants her schoolies to be in The Bahamas with a couple of friends when she reaches that age....
My eldest two boys have just finished High School - fortunately we moved right as Schoolies was starting so it wouldn't have been an option even if they wanted to go. Not that they would have done because they still do as they're told (mostly) and there's no way that even the 18 year old was going.

Their peer group had talked about going to Redcliffe for a week. Then, when they realised they couldn't afford a week in Redcliffe, they were going to have a week in a tent in some poor sucker's back garden.

Actually I've just realised we've left our old back garden unattended..