Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:20 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

Originally Posted by paulry
I've never been to Kenya, only the Southern African countries. I find that even though I haven't lived there for years I can't quite shake the sub-continent out of my system ...It gets into your blood
I am actually thinking about applying for a job in Nairobi at the mo.

Australia is great and I have really enjoyed my time here, but I am 29 have no plans for kids (ever) and no desire to buy a house, get a mortgage etc. I feel like I am at a stage in my life where I want to do something different.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:30 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I am actually thinking about applying for a job in Nairobi at the mo.

Australia is great and I have really enjoyed my time here, but I am 29 have no plans for kids (ever) and no desire to buy a house, get a mortgage etc. I feel like I am at a stage in my life where I want to do something different.
At around your age I thought the same
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:38 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

At around your age I thought the same
Cool. I just don't want to get to 40 or 50 and think "I wish I had done that". I have Australian PR I can always come back afterwards.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I just don't want to get to 40 or 50 and think "I wish I had done that". I have Australian PR I can always come back afterwards.
Good luck to you. Right now you are single and free, go for it while you still can . What work do you do?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:54 am
Banned

Good luck to you. Right now you are single and free, go for it while you still can . What work do you do?
I am actually married, but my wife is in the same frame of mind as me.

I am town planner and I am thinking of working for an NGO.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:08 am
Banned

I am actually married, but my wife is in the same frame of mind as me.

I am town planner and I am thinking of working for an NGO.
It'll certainly be a great experience and even better with your wife by your side. Have you been to any other countries in Africa?

I sometimes think that my OH and I should have waited before starting our family and travelled a bit first. But I was 30 and my OH several years older so we thought it best to just allow nature to run it's course in case it took some time. Ten months after we were married our first son arrived on the scene .
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:25 am
Banned

It'll certainly be a great experience and even better with your wife by your side. Have you been to any other countries in Africa?

I sometimes think that my OH and I should have waited before starting our family and travelled a bit first. But I was 30 and my OH several years older so we thought it best to just allow nature to run it's course in case it took some time. Ten months after we were married our first son arrived on the scene .

Have been to a few (mainly north and east Africa), but Kenya seems plausible given the number of NGOs there.

I suppose I am lucky in a way that my wife doesn't want kids either.

P.s. we seemed to have changed a thread about schoolies into one about Africa!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:30 am
Banned

Have been to a few (mainly north and east Africa), but Kenya seems plausible given the number of NGOs there.

I suppose I am lucky in a way that my wife doesn't want kids either.

P.s. we seemed to have changed a thread about schoolies into one about Africa!
Oops.

I just read up more about schoolies and it doesn't look so bad.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Peer pressure?
No, the 3 B's.

Beer
Buddies
Bitches
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:50 am
ABCDiamond

Wait till schoolies moves up to Hamilton Island in a few years....

That's where some of the 13 year olds are talking about wanting to go when they reach it. Somewhere quieter and not as stupid.... Problem is, what will it be like then ?

My daughter wants her schoolies to be in The Bahamas with a couple of friends when she reaches that age....

Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No, the 3 B's.

Beer
Buddies
Bitches
Aha
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

That's where some of the 13 year olds are talking about wanting to go when they reach it. Somewhere quieter and not as stupid.... Problem is, what will it be like then ?

My daughter wants her schoolies to be in The Bahamas with a couple of friends when she reaches that age....
With regard QLD, apparently the Airlie Beach schoolies is much quieter, I guess it's not quite to easy to get to. A friend's daughter was up there the other year, not for schoolies, just planned her holiday for that week by mistake. Reckoned it was nothing like Surfers. Trouble is, if people decide to go up there to avoid Surfers, it will become like Surfers Can't see them being allowed to use Hamilton but then I was quite surprised they were allowed to use Rottnest in WA.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I just wish they'd drop the term 'schoolies'.

I mean: well done you've finished school, go to a formal. Or a Prom.

Schoolies just reeks of pissed up school kids.

By the way, a prom or a formal lasts for one evening. Not a week long pissup. Why do Australian kids feel the right to have a week long pissup?

I finished my A-levels on a Thursday 5pm, I started working as a part-time postie on Saturday at 4am.

JTL

(yes I am Victor Meldrew in disguise)

Last edited by JackTheLad; Nov 27th 2009 at 8:28 am.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
Why would you want to stop kids having fun. I notice they dont try and stop the celebrations after a major sports team wins a game or championship. These kids have the rest of their lives to take things seriously. Just remember when you where a young teenager. Did you go home for cocco and biscuits and get ready for bed (all before it got dark)

Leave them be and let them have a good time

Barney
Does your idea of "fun"include kids throwing bottles at cars and properties,vomiting,peeing/defacating in peoples gardens,graffiti,drunken kids being found p***** as newts on ovals,the list goes on.I was no angel when I was growing up,but I would'nt of done any of the above!Yes by all means let the kids have a good time,but not at the expense of creating a nuisance and causing damage.Maybe a bush camp might be a better idea?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Does your idea of "fun"include kids throwing bottles at cars and properties,vomiting,peeing/defacating in peoples gardens,graffiti,drunken kids being found p***** as newts on ovals,the list goes on.I was no angel when I was growing up,but I would'nt of done any of the above!Yes by all means let the kids have a good time,but not at the expense of creating a nuisance and causing damage.Maybe a bush camp might be a better idea?
They don't have schoolies in the UK but on a lot of weekends there is a small minority of feral girls doing the same thing. One benefit I can see with Schoolies is that at least it is one week (or two in Surfers). All that stuff you mention doesn't happen because of Schoolies, it's happened since some adult discovered alcohol.

Obviously if you live in a place like Surfers, it isn't just during Schoolies week, but every week of the year but then, as I asked before, why would anyone want to live in Surfers? It's a holiday town, much like Blackpool but busy 52 weeks of the year rather than three months.

Let's not forget, it is only a small minority who cause the trouble and do the damage and giving the vast majority a bad name. As usual with everything, it's the few who ruin things for the many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.