Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:50 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Generally (very generally) speaking, it's not the schoolies causing the trouble, it's outsiders either trying to get in ...

I have a late 20's colleague who lives on GC who *hates* schoolies. His wise words:

"For 11 months of the year I can go out and try and sleep with drunken 18 year olds and nobody batts an eyelid. BUT for 1 month of the year I'm either incarcerated for being a 'TOOLY' or doomed to 4 weeks of home confinement until normal service resumes"

(As far as we know he has no history of being arrested at Schoolies - or sleeping with drunkn 18yrs olds particularly regularly!!)
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:01 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

More than one child up there at the moment have been approached by TV companies who are camped out up at Surfers and being asked if they would pretend to have a bit of a barney for the cameras. They are catching them towards the end of the evening when they have partied and maybe had a drink and they perform. The reporters then edit and it looks far worse than it actually it. From the kids I've spoken to who are visiting every other evening or so, this year is quite quiet compared to what they've heard in the past.

Don't believe everything you see and hear in the media. Yes there's some trouble but where is there not when you get more than 50 people having a party? The hotels and tourist industry like schoolies. The residents of Surfers don't so will happily complain bitterly about it. Why anyone would live in Surfers at any time of the year is beyond me.
must agree that theres alot of media hype ( thats wahts sells stories isnt it ),
i do alot of work in and around sufers and apart from the esplanade been closed from 6 onwards its business as usual
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:10 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I must be one of those horror mums - I let my son attend schoolies from Sydney up at Surfers, he bought and paid for his ticket and accommodation with his mates. I was worried and we had some serious chats but he came back tired but happy at the end of the week.

There is a large number of kids who do behave and have a party do not label them all because of media hype.

You also need to look at the American traditions of spring break and bucks nights and hens night to know it is a usual occurance. Idiots will be idiots without the excuse of schoolies.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

More than one child up there at the moment have been approached by TV companies who are camped out up at Surfers and being asked if they would pretend to have a bit of a barney for the cameras. They are catching them towards the end of the evening when they have partied and maybe had a drink and they perform. The reporters then edit and it looks far worse than it actually it. From the kids I've spoken to who are visiting every other evening or so, this year is quite quiet compared to what they've heard in the past.

Don't believe everything you see and hear in the media.

So how come this never applies to media reports about UK teenagers?

Or is this the usual barbie gloss?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

This isn't an Oz vs. UK thread so why turn it into one. Nobody has even mentioned UK teenagers, bloody typical that you do.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It may do, I have no idea. This I have confirmation of so I mentioned it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

My oldest will be 17 when he finishes Year 12 next year, so I wouldn't be that happy if he decided to go to Surfers for schoolies. At this stage I think he and his mates have other ideas, so I've got my fingers crossed.

On the other hand, what goes on at schoolies isn't so different from the equivalent rites of passage in the UK, which in my son's case would have been Newquay.

The media hype is much the same too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...derage-newquay
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I've the got the impression lately from a few things I've read that people think "Schoolies" is a new thing. It has been going for decades....
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
This isn't an Oz vs. UK thread so why turn it into one. Nobody has even mentioned UK teenagers, bloody typical that you do.
Why do we always get the bullshit about Australian youngsters being squeaky clean and , when it is obvious that they are not, we get the bullshit about it being a media hype?

If this had been about UK kids it would be accepted as a fact.

Talk about double standards
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve`o
must agree that theres alot of media hype ( thats wahts sells stories isnt it ),
i do alot of work in and around sufers and apart from the esplanade been closed from 6 onwards its business as usual
If there had been some major news events, schoolies may have rated just a short mention. Quiet news week.
If the event didnt happen at Surfers, it would happen somewhere else. And that would probably be some small seaside village without the infrastructure to support such an event.

Maybe there should be an official Toolies so we can see how a few years of experiance can make a real idiot.

WW
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we always get the bullshit about Australian youngsters being squeaky clean and , when it is obvious that they are not, we get the bullshit about it being a media hype?

If this had been about UK kids it would be accepted as a fact.

Talk about double standards
Jeez you can be such a pillock sometimes. Who the hell said they were squeaky clean? I mentioned that the TV companies had asked some partied out teens to have a barney. That's a fact. I also said that obviously there was trouble. There would be in a huge group like that whatever the age and whatever the country.

No one except you has brought up UK kids other than famous 5 mentioning Newquay. You're imagining things and attempting (not very well) to stir a harmless thread about Australian Schoolies into a Aus vs UK thread. Not everything has to have that slant, honest. Some of us are capable of discussing something without mentioning another country.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

No one except you has brought up UK kids other than famous 5 mentioning Newquay. You're imagining things and attempting (not very well) to stir a harmless thread about Australian Schoolies into a Aus vs UK thread. Not everything has to have that slant, honest. Some of us are capable of discussing something without mentioning another country.

But you can't stand to see something, which might paint some aspect of Australian life as less than pefect, without having to try to dilute it by suggesting it might be media hype.

Australian kids are no different to UK kids...like it or not.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

But you can't stand to see something, which might paint some aspect of Australian life as less than pefect, without having to try to dilute it by suggesting it might be media hype.

When I came here I was stunned that they actually arranged for a couple of tens of thousand school-leavers to get together and get pissed and party.

I'm not joking, that would not happen in the UK. In fact, it would be banned.

Here, its supported.

"Yeaaaahhhh!!! let the kids get pissed, have fights, have sex, have abortions, get arrested etc"

Sorry but WTF is any parent thinking is going to happen

JTL
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
When I came here I was stunned that they actually arranged for a couple of tens of thousand school-leavers to get together and get pissed and party.

I'm not joking, that would not happen in the UK. In fact, it would be banned.

Here, its supported.

"Yeaaaahhhh!!! let the kids get pissed, have fights, have sex, have abortions, get arrested etc"

Sorry but WTF is any parent thinking is going to happen

JTL
They didn't organise it....it was organised by the school leavers...the govt had two choices.....get the water cannon out and try to stop them coming....or put some structures in place so that when the school leavers arrived things ran more smoothly....apparently this idea which has only been done in recent years has been a great success.....but then they didn't try the fire hose idea I guess
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:57 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

sorry maybe i`m missing something here but the thread was about schoolies in au, it is being being blown out of all preportions by the media because that sells stories so where did the uk V au bit come in ???????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.