British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How long till schoolies is stopped ????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-long-till-schoolies-stopped-642198/)

4500 Times Nov 25th 2009 11:41 pm

How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

I for one cannot believe this goes ahead every year......every year you see the same stuff all over the tv news, and hear shocking reports from the residents of Surfers....

I fear nothing will happen though until someone dies....and then it will be someone else's fault (ie Coppers) for not policing properly.

All you parents that have kids down there at the moment, i hope they come home safe.......

All you parents that have supplied booze for your kids...Shame on you..:thumbdown:

Vash the Stampede Nov 26th 2009 12:09 am

Re: How long till schoolies is stopped ?????

I hate it with a passion, but how would you stop them? There's no law against driving to another state and having a party.

4500 Times Nov 26th 2009 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8125750)
I hate it with a passion, but how would you stop them? There's no law against driving to another state and having a party.

Yeah your right.

I heard on the radio this morning that only a third of all schoolies attending the event actually stay there, the rest travel in and out.
This was a guy who is on the schoolies commitee talking, he also said that only a handful of businesses actually make any money out of the event.

I dread to imagine how much money most of the businesses have lost during this period, even with people like us who may pop down the coast on a whim, and have dinner down there, we stay well away as most people do...

moneypenny20 Nov 26th 2009 12:18 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 8125704)
I for one cannot believe this goes ahead every year......every year you see the same stuff all over the tv news, and hear shocking reports from the residents of Surfers....

I fear nothing will happen though until someone dies....and then it will be someone else's fault (ie Coppers) for not policing properly.

All you parents that have kids down there at the moment, i hope they come home safe.......

All you parents that have supplied booze for your kids...Shame on you..:thumbdown:

More than one child up there at the moment have been approached by TV companies who are camped out up at Surfers and being asked if they would pretend to have a bit of a barney for the cameras. They are catching them towards the end of the evening when they have partied and maybe had a drink and they perform. The reporters then edit and it looks far worse than it actually it. From the kids I've spoken to who are visiting every other evening or so, this year is quite quiet compared to what they've heard in the past.

Don't believe everything you see and hear in the media. Yes there's some trouble but where is there not when you get more than 50 people having a party? The hotels and tourist industry like schoolies. The residents of Surfers don't so will happily complain bitterly about it. Why anyone would live in Surfers at any time of the year is beyond me.

Cheetah7 Nov 26th 2009 12:20 am

I heard some got thrown of Rotto Island for bad behaviour.

What horrified me is on the facebook group for Rottnest was something about not kicking the quokka's, and reference to 'quokka soccer' - what kind of thick dipshit thinks its funny to do that to an animal?

If I had kids and I found out they had done something like that then I would return the favour and kick their arses around the garden until they cried.

I am hoping it isnt true but something tells me that there are some subnormal teens out there that really do it.

Lord_Farquar Nov 26th 2009 12:25 am

Reason 86754932 to never go to Surfers Paradise ever again.

Dorothy Nov 26th 2009 12:31 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 8125704)

Why do parents allow their children to go? I've made it clear to my children that they will not be attending schoolies week when they graduate and being I'm the adult I make the decisions around our house.

moneypenny20 Nov 26th 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8125793)
Why do parents allow their children to go? I've made it clear to my children that they will not be attending schoolies week when they graduate and being I'm the adult I make the decisions around our house.

My eldest will be 18 when she graduates next year but she and her friends have already decided they would rather go on a holiday somewhere else. Because of where we live, most kids here just go up for the odd evening and to be honest, I don't have a problem with that. I wouldn't be happy if either of them wanted to get an apartment and stay the week though.

Dorothy Nov 26th 2009 12:41 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8125802)
My eldest will be 18 when she graduates next year but she and her friends have already decided they would rather go on a holiday somewhere else. Because of where we live, most kids here just go up for the odd evening and to be honest, I don't have a problem with that. I wouldn't be happy if either of them wanted to get an apartment and stay the week though.

From our place they have to travel to get there. Rottnest is at least a ferry ride away and Dunsborough is a good couple of hours' drive.

Amazulu Nov 26th 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8125750)

I think a lot of people on here have forgotten what it's like to be young. To be 17 or 18, full of beans and just starting out on your life.

sassie Nov 26th 2009 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8125893)
I think a lot of people on here have forgotten what it's like to be young. To be 17 or 18, full of beans and just starting out on your life.

Having a good time is one thing, but being arrested is inexcusable

Amazulu Nov 26th 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 8125974)
Having a good time is one thing, but being arrested is inexcusable

I was arrested once - I was having a good time when it happened.

Swerv-o Nov 26th 2009 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8125978)
I was arrested once - I was having a good time when it happened.

That's inexcusable :sneaky:

S

Petals Nov 26th 2009 4:33 am

I cannot see it stopping if anything it will get bigger. Whilst parents give their children every little thing why would this fete if that is what it is now not continue.

I am sure most just enjoy it and stay out of trouble, if compared the amount of trouble to the amount of people there, think it must be quite small.

moneypenny20 Nov 26th 2009 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Petals (Post 8126163)
I cannot see it stopping if anything it will get bigger. Whilst parents give their children every little thing why would this fete if that is what it is now not continue.

I am sure most just enjoy it and stay out of trouble, if compared the amount of trouble to the amount of people there, think it must be quite small.

Generally (very generally) speaking, it's not the schoolies causing the trouble, it's outsiders either trying to get in or picking trouble as the kids are going back to accommodation. Surfers even had a 16 year old (grade 11) kid gate crashing and trying to sell his mother's gyny meds as Es :eek:

When they are organised and monitored, I think Schoolies is fine. The kids have finished school and like all of us want to let off steam. They will go away and do whatever anyway, doing it in a relatively organised manner is by and large a better way of doing it imo anyway.