Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you live the dream.......

How do you live the dream.......

Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you live the dream.......

I think the word "dream"seems strange to use when people are referring to their life!People are'nt living the dream,they're living in reality!Whether their lives are good or bad!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I think the word "dream"seems strange to use when people are referring to their life!People are'nt living the dream,they're living in reality!Whether their lives are good or bad!
They are living out a dream, or trying to. Not living a dream as its being dreamt. Plus, I think the word dream is really meant in a metaphorical sense.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
They are living out a dream, or trying to. Not living a dream as its being dreamt. Plus, I think the word dream is really meant in a metaphorical sense.
Yes I understand that,but why call it a dream when its reality!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I understand that,but why call it a dream when its reality!
Its only reality when you experience it in real life. But its still correct to say you are living the dream you had. If you have a dream tonight about winning the lotto and then actually win the lotto, are you living the dream?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I think, if you want to know what the dream is then you should ask the person thats selling it. I dunno who that is.

Only an opinion, if somebody has a spouse and a couple of kids and aspires to a mortgage and the daily school run and perhaps a dried egg sandwich on the beach once a month then that aint no dream.

Personally the closest I came to living a dream in Australia, was about 7 years ago when I was jobless and living on savings in a granny flat eating beans out of the can. I threw my mobile phone into a bin and I didnt have to be anywhere and nobody knew where to contact me. I drove to Melbourne on a whim and spent 2 weeks living in a tent at Airlie beach mushrooming the days away with German tourists and going to see crap bands. It was complete insanity and I loved it, was every inch the dream but only lasted a few months. I went to pay for my KFC by eftpos and it was declined. The dream was over!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I guess its the same as saying your life is a nightmare, its the extremes, and reality is usually somwhere in the middle.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I think, if you want to know what the dream is then you should ask the person thats selling it. I dunno who that is.

Only an opinion, if somebody has a spouse and a couple of kids and aspires to a mortgage and the daily school run and perhaps a dried egg sandwich on the beach once a month then that aint no dream.

Personally the closest I came to living a dream in Australia, was about 7 years ago when I was jobless and living on savings in a granny flat eating beans out of the can. I threw my mobile phone into a bin and I didnt have to be anywhere and nobody knew where to contact me. I drove to Melbourne on a whim and spent 2 weeks living in a tent at Airlie beach mushrooming the days away with German tourists and going to see crap bands. It was complete insanity and I loved it, was every inch the dream but only lasted a few months. I went to pay for my KFC by eftpos and it was declined. The dream was over!
Like all dreams,it had to come to an end!Sounded fun at the time though!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't come for a dream. Came to a real place. Have been to many real places before. This place has lots of reality to offer and we get bored with this reality we will find another.

I am sure there is lots of theory about reality being a social construction which I can't be bothered to look up but I am sure it can be interpreted to mean that we all filter reality through our dreams to create an internal reality and if this doesn't match our ideas about what reality should be, we are disappointed.

Last edited by Fly Away; Aug 5th 2009 at 8:58 am.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact that so many Brits act all nonchalant about "the dream" now!

99.9% fell for for the sales pitch but have only just realised that its all a front for "sameness in the sun".
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

99.9% fell for for the sales pitch but have only just realised that its all a front for "sameness in the sun".
Always best to keep expectations realistic I think!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

ellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant future

Dictionary definition:

an aspiration; goal; aim

I don't think it's a bad thing for us to have any of those things
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on the dream. My dream was to have better weather, not worry about money and not work so hard. Make better use of my downtime and get a bit golf in. All achieved and with a bit of luck that will continue. You need a bit of luck imo!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kporte
Depends on the dream. My dream was to have better weather, not worry about money and not work so hard. Make better use of my downtime and get a bit golf in. All achieved and with a bit of luck that will continue. You need a bit of luck imo!

I agree! Ive had fun but then, I had fun in the old home town as well.

Seriously a mystery to me why Australia holds the 'dream'.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:01 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree! Ive had fun but then, I had fun in the old home town as well.

Seriously a mystery to me why Australia holds the 'dream'.
You still have to work and pay bills, and lets face it, that is not much fun.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I think we were realistic about the move & I believe many others are too.
I think people refer to 'the dream' not because they think it will all be fantastic but because they have thought about & planned for it for a long time.
If people come expecting all their problems to be solved by moving country, be it Aus, back to UK or anywhere else, they are destined for dissapointment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.