Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you live the dream.......

How do you live the dream.......

Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you live the dream.......

When all you have is reality!I've been doing some thinking lately (no snide comment please!)and maybe just maybe the people who emigrate to live their "dream"are disappointed with the reality!Why do people call it a dream,why not say for example "Its my "hope"that my new life in Oz (or where-ever)works out?Personally I think "dream"makes it seem like some fantasy people expect,and when reality kicks in,its like waking up!I'm thinking (maybe wrongly)that if people have more realistic expectations then they're the ones who tend to stay put and not head for home!What do you think?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:48 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you live the dream.......

Originally Posted by livinginreality
When all you have is reality!I've been doing some thinking lately (no snide comment please!)and maybe just maybe the people who emigrate to live their "dream"are disappointed with the reality!Why do people call it a dream,why not say for example "Its my "hope"that my new life in Oz (or where-ever)works out?Personally I think "dream"makes it seem like some fantasy people expect,and when reality kicks in,its like waking up!I'm thinking (maybe wrongly)that if people have more realistic expectations then they're the ones who tend to stay put and not head for home!What do you think?
For us it was more time together as a family. We have succeeded. We have a far superior quality of life here. Better housing, better school, for us every part of our life is better. We couldn't have done that in the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:05 am
ABCDiamond

"dream" It's an interesting word in this context.

I wonder 'how' most people use the word though ?

I know that some categorise it as a "Dream lifestyle", all play and no work, then find it isn't and get very bitter about the country.

But I think many just "dream" of a change; they expect to still work, but also dream of being able to do things that they could not do before, live closer to a world famous beach for example, and be able to nip down every weekend 'if they wish'.

In reality they never do, at least not every weekend, as life goes on in other normal ways, shopping, decorating, gardening, visiting friends etc.

When we moved to QLD, I dreamt of a house near the beach, got it, but now rarely go to the beach, as it is so easy to go, that I tend to put it off till another time.

I am actually living my dream, but it isn't a fairy tale dream, it is just something different to what I was doing in my last reality.

And one day, I may have another dream, and move on somewhere else.
Cairns is a bit warmer this time of year...

Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:25 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

We may not be living the"Dream" we still have to work and do all the normal boring everyday stuff, but for us the reality is pretty good too.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think there really are people who see it as a dream and think it will be just like all their fantasies come true. I worked with one, she thought Australia would be the answer to all her prayers -it wasn't. She had to work long hours, they couldn't afford the "dream" house, he didn't like his job, the kid kept skipping school.
They packed up and went home after 5 months muttering about "where did the dream go......"
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think there really are people who see it as a dream and think it will be just like all their fantasies come true. I worked with one, she thought Australia would be the answer to all her prayers -it wasn't. She had to work long hours, they couldn't afford the "dream" house, he didn't like his job, the kid kept skipping school.
They packed up and went home after 5 months muttering about "where did the dream go......"

Maybe in 20 or 25 years I'll be 'living the dream' - not having to work, perhaps relaxing in my nice little sunshine coast house not too far from the sea, doing a bit of surfing some mornings, perhaps some golf or fishing, lots of time with the family and friends, and of course, plenty of beer/wine/other alcoholic drinks. But I certainly wasn't living like that in London so didn't expect to suddenly get it all on a plate with a move here.

Having said that - I moved from renting a room in a dodgy part of london, to living in a stunning apartment overlooking the river and cbd, swimming in the lap pool, going to the gym etc... and it was all costing less than my old room back home !! On top of that I was walking to work and earning more money that I used to... so for a little while it certainly felt like I was living the dream !!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Sydney. That wasnt always a dream for me but became one just over 2 years ago. The reason it was a dream was because of my wish to move away from Ireland and start again. Thats exactly what happened. I've been here 10 months on Monday and have a good job which I like, nice friends, a car which I love, plenty to do all through the week and a fantastic back drop. Most of those things are acheiveable at home and I had them. But, I got fed up with Ireland and I think I always knew I didnt want to spend my entire life living there. Australia seemed like as good a place as any to start again. The beaches, weather and beautiful women are a bonus.

It was a dream for about 2 years and then, everything within that dream became reality. Doesnt happen for many but does happen for some lucky punters like me.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:47 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a dream about buying some land,give up the booze and the one night stands,try to settle down in a quiet little town and forget about everything,but hey Baker st is calling me back
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The expression "Living the Dream" makes my flesh crawl . . . .
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I had a dream about buying some land,give up the booze and the one night stands,try to settle down in a quiet little town and forget about everything,but hey Baker st is calling me back
I also have a dream . . . about a song to sing . . . that helps me cope with anything . . . .
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I also have a dream . . . about a song to sing . . . that helps me cope with anything . . . .
Nobody in their right mind though believes in angels!!!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
Nobody in their right mind though believes in angels!!!!
I BELIEVE IN ANGELS!!!! . . . . something good in everything I see

(singalong now)

I BELIEVE IN ANGELS!!!! . . . . when I know the time is right for me (???)

(that's right!)
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:11 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

We came out here on the premise, if we don't give it a go, we'll never know. Seems to have worked for us, we're not packing in loads of attractions every weekend, we're just living our life. in my experience if you build your expectations up too high, you will inevitably be disappointed.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:32 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

To live the dream you need a whole lot of money it does'nt matter what country you live in if you don't have much money your life is no dream.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
The expression "Living the Dream" makes my flesh crawl . . . .
How can you "Live the dream"?(I also dislike that expression)Does that mean people are sleeping through life?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.