Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you live the dream.......

How do you live the dream.......

Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How do you live the dream.......

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I love the fact that so many Brits act all nonchalant about "the dream" now!

99.9% fell for for the sales pitch but have only just realised that its all a front for "sameness in the sun".
99.9 % eh ? hmm...

Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
99.9 % eh ? hmm...
Yes & 82% of stats are made up on the spot!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:13 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I think we were realistic about the move & I believe many others are too.
I think people refer to 'the dream' not because they think it will all be fantastic but because they have thought about & planned for it for a long time.
If people come expecting all their problems to be solved by moving country, be it Aus, back to UK or anywhere else, they are destined for dissapointment.
Very true. We expected to earn less and set our sights accordingly. Realistic house purchase, cheap second hand car etc. We both earn more than we did in the UK but have stuck with the plan and feel genuinely comfortable here.
I am pretty chilled now and content.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

99.9 % eh ? hmm...

Trust you to pick up on that.

Trust me, you Aussies have the stats on your side. Most Brits wont admit to being whingers until every other avenue has been explored!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Very true. We expected to earn less and set our sights accordingly. Realistic house purchase, cheap second hand car etc. We both earn more than we did in the UK but have stuck with the plan and feel genuinely comfortable here.
I am pretty chilled now and content.

But thats what I mean, you find that out once youve lived here but if you try and tell the newbies what may lay instore, then youre being negative
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:20 am
Account Closed

But thats what I mean, you find that out once youve lived here but if you try and tell the newbies what may lay instore, then youre being negative
You can't just change your location. You have to change too. If you do, you are laughing.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:22 am
ABCDiamond

Trust you to pick up on that.

Trust me, you Aussies have the stats on your side. Most Brits wont admit to being whingers until every other avenue has been explored!
I'm not an Aussie !!!

Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:23 am
Account Closed

I'm not an Aussie !!!
In spirit?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kporte
In spirit?
I am not actually sure that I ever will become Australian.
I'm still British, always give my "Australian' daughter something from the freezer when she asks for lollies, and constantly explain that footballs are ROUND, and if she wants some chips, we can always nip down the fish and chip shop.

But I do like it here

Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:54 am
Account Closed

I am not actually sure that I ever will become Australian.
I'm still British, always give my "Australian' daughter something from the freezer when she asks for lollies, and constantly explain that footballs are ROUND, and if she wants some chips, we can always nip down the fish and chip shop.

But I do like it here
Me too ABC, but still a Scot!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not an Aussie !!!

Let me guess, you came here when you were one!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:12 am
ABCDiamond

Let me guess, you came here when you were one!
No, I was over 30

Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I think people refer to 'the dream' not because they think it will all be fantastic but because they have thought about & planned for it for a long time.
Perhaps I've missed something, but would that not better be described as 'living the plan' . . . ?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:20 am
ABCDiamond

How many people coming here actually referred to it as "living the dream" or is this phrase something dreamt up by just a few ?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Perhaps I've missed something, but would that not better be described as 'living the plan' . . . ?
God I really hate having to try to type my thoughts, saying them is so much easier!
What I mean is that you aim for it for so long, just getting to Aus, becomes a dream!
Oh look, I know what I mean!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.