Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do women cope with false nails

How do women cope with false nails

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:04 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do women cope with false nails

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

To make them stronger naturally, use almond oil to massage into them and get a good quality buffer made of hide/leather, and buff gently for a few seconds every day... dont' get those buffers which have the grey, pink and white side... they only thin your nails...
Stop putting them in water and detergent, never file them after a bath or shower and avoid nail varnishes and remover.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I used a product called T.I.P.S. to restore my nails after the nasty false nails experience. It's not available in the stores...I bought it from a shopping channel on TV. It is an oil that you rub into your nails and cuticles. It really helped restore my nails. It makes your nails flexible...unlike most nail strengthening products with make the nails hard and brittle. I bent one of my nails right over...I actually had to bend it back in place but it didn't break. There was a white line where it had bent but after a few days of using the oil the line disappeared.
Oil is definitely the way to go then.
I think The body shop sells almond oil - I'll have a look over the weekend.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Oil is definitely the way to go then.
I think The body shop sells almond oil - I'll have a look over the weekend.
If you can find a salon that sell Nailtiques products they do a lovely oil that works wonders on nails and the surrounding skin (I am a skin biter!)
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by northernbird
There was nothing wrong with the nails to look at, they werent very long and they looked fairly natural. They just hurt like hell. I have today been to have them soaked off and had gel overlays and I am over the moon. They look like my natural nail and will give my flakey nails underneath a chance to grow a little.
Pleased you have been back to the salon glad you are pleased with your gel overlays, hope you get on ok with them

Originally Posted by Kapri
I think you raise a very valid point Swanny. There are some "cowgirls" out there who don't know how to do the job properly. The same can be said throughout the industry.
My friend is a beauty therapist and had to do 2 years of training to qualify plus on-going updates.
As you say - some people just start up with very limited knowledge.

In my case though my nails grew so quickly I would have had to have infills every 4 days to keep them looking nice
I love to have a professional manicure on my own nails now but unfortunately it's a rare treat.
Thanks...like any industry there are always good and bad experiences... firm believer in 'you only get what you pay for' and the cheapest nails aren't ness the best... A good therapist/tech will always take the time to explain all the options available and what to expect - if they don't, i wouldn't give them my money
Hopefully the legislation in the Nail industry will change, from what i've seen Australia has little regulation in this area , just like UK! So that should make things interesting for me when i finally get there
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:36 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you can find a salon that sell Nailtiques products they do a lovely oil that works wonders on nails and the surrounding skin (I am a skin biter!)
Me too NB

Although I'm much better than I used to be