Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do women cope with false nails

How do women cope with false nails

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: How do women cope with false nails

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I used to have mine done but never again, they completed ruined my natural nails, which were like pieces of flimsy jelly for ages after!!
I had mine done once and my nails underneath were damaged so badly, it took months for them to get back to normal. Never again, never.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:40 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

A good treatment for weak natural nails is silk wrapping. Unfortunately, very few places offer it now.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:03 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
A good treatment for weak natural nails is silk wrapping. Unfortunately, very few places offer it now.
You can get your own silk wrapping kits... I used to do it.

I also used to chew my nails but I stopped and I get nice compliments about my nails all the time now.

For those who say they can't stop biting their nails... yes, you can, if you really want to. It's just a habit, not an addiction.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:52 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
You can get your own silk wrapping kits... I used to do it.

I also used to chew my nails but I stopped and I get nice compliments about my nails all the time now.

For those who say they can't stop biting their nails... yes, you can, if you really want to. It's just a habit, not an addiction.
Absolutely. I was a confirmed nail biter but they are lovely now.
What is silk wrapping TP?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:11 am

Silk wrapping is where a layer of laquer is put on and then a very fine layer of silk overlay. Then another one is put over in another direction, and then more varnish on the top. The silk strengthens the nail.

The only problem with having nails like rocks is that if you snag them, they don't bend and really, you want them to bend and break.... because otherwise you lift your nail from the nailbed... which hurts and can result in permanent damage.
So strengthening nails isn't a good thing.

To make them stronger naturally, use almond oil to massage into them and get a good quality buffer made of hide/leather, and buff gently for a few seconds every day... dont' get those buffers which have the grey, pink and white side... they only thin your nails...
Stop putting them in water and detergent, never file them after a bath or shower and avoid nail varnishes and remover.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Apr 3rd 2008 at 10:14 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:13 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

OW!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
OW!!!
Indeed! This happens with gel and acrylic nails too...
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:19 am

Indeed! This happens with gel and acrylic nails too...
I know all too well what it feels like. The toenail has been ripped off 3 times now, usually when people stand on my feet and dont think to LIFT their foot before moving it.

Really, really, really painful.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:39 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch yes I had it happen with acrylics.

As TP says the most important thing is to keep them out of the washing up bowl I haven't replaced my marigolds and my nails are really suffering
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Kapri
Ouch yes I had it happen with acrylics.

As TP says the most important thing is to keep them out of the washing up bowl I haven't replaced my marigolds and my nails are really suffering
I put hand cream on before I put the gloves on.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:49 am

I put hand cream on before I put the gloves on.
best way to moisturise your hands.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by northernbird
Was talked into having my nails done. I hate them. They hurt, feel weird and quite honestly are horrid. Having them soaked off tomorrow, what a waste of money.

Sorry had to get that off my chest!

Sorry you have had a bad experience with Nail Enhancements Northernbird,
BUT, as a Nail Tech who has done lots of training i just had to jump on this thread and be on the defense of 'extensions' - when they keep getting a bad press which isn't always deserved!! and that makes me so mad:curse:

Providing your nail tech is fully qualified( with decent training ) and does nails daily so has lots of experience...
Providing they do a proper consultation with the client so they can prescribe the system best suited to that persons lifestyle eg. Acrylic/Gel/silk wraps....
Providing they are applied properly....
They are removed properly.....a hell of a lot of damage can be done this way ....
Providing Aftercare is explained to client thoroughly, inc Maintenance.....
Then you should end up with a lovely set of 'nails'.

Unfortunately in the Uk and many other countries there are No Regulations and pretty much anyone can do a 1 day nail course and declare themselves trained
The Industry is trying hard to bring in legislation to stop Sub standard salons and techs from working without proper training and using products which are unsafe/banned - think cheap nail bars who use drills, can't mention names.
Until that happens there will always be 'cowboys' in the beauty industry and they do alot of damage to people's natural nails, sometimes permanent

The Natural Nail Care of the client is TOP priority for a good tech.
Enhancements DO NOT damage your natural nails
And for anyone thinking of having enhancements done - It should NEVER hurt, burn, make you bleed , be sore etc. etc.
It amazes me the number of people who expect it to hurt, because of a previous bad experience but who have also happily paid and accepted poor service!!

Sorry for getting on my soap box over this... I'll get down again now
As you can tell, feel passionately about this - it's my job and i'm sorry if i've come across as 'full of it'
Just wanted all you ladies out there to hear the positives, no offense meant to those who have had a bad experience.
Yes, i agree , there are some shocking 'nails' out there - ugly, too long and don't get me started on the footballers wives french!
Actually had a client specifically ask for those ( about 1.5 in long ), and no i didn't give her exactly what she asked for, explained they look ugly and out of proportion- french can look beautiful - aside from the fact they were impractical and she couldn't even undo her jeans to go to the loo
Best of luck, keep hunting for the good salons
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swanny
Sorry you have had a bad experience with Nail Enhancements Northernbird,
BUT, as a Nail Tech who has done lots of training i just had to jump on this thread and be on the defense of 'extensions' - when they keep getting a bad press which isn't always deserved!! and that makes me so mad:curse:

Providing your nail tech is fully qualified( with decent training ) and does nails daily so has lots of experience...
Providing they do a proper consultation with the client so they can prescribe the system best suited to that persons lifestyle eg. Acrylic/Gel/silk wraps....
Providing they are applied properly....
They are removed properly.....a hell of a lot of damage can be done this way ....
Providing Aftercare is explained to client thoroughly, inc Maintenance.....
Then you should end up with a lovely set of 'nails'.

Unfortunately in the Uk and many other countries there are No Regulations and pretty much anyone can do a 1 day nail course and declare themselves trained
The Industry is trying hard to bring in legislation to stop Sub standard salons and techs from working without proper training and using products which are unsafe/banned - think cheap nail bars who use drills, can't mention names.
Until that happens there will always be 'cowboys' in the beauty industry and they do alot of damage to people's natural nails, sometimes permanent

The Natural Nail Care of the client is TOP priority for a good tech.
Enhancements DO NOT damage your natural nails
And for anyone thinking of having enhancements done - It should NEVER hurt, burn, make you bleed , be sore etc. etc.
It amazes me the number of people who expect it to hurt, because of a previous bad experience but who have also happily paid and accepted poor service!!

Sorry for getting on my soap box over this... I'll get down again now
As you can tell, feel passionately about this - it's my job and i'm sorry if i've come across as 'full of it'
Just wanted all you ladies out there to hear the positives, no offense meant to those who have had a bad experience.
Yes, i agree , there are some shocking 'nails' out there - ugly, too long and don't get me started on the footballers wives french!
Actually had a client specifically ask for those ( about 1.5 in long ), and no i didn't give her exactly what she asked for, explained they look ugly and out of proportion- french can look beautiful - aside from the fact they were impractical and she couldn't even undo her jeans to go to the loo
Best of luck, keep hunting for the good salons
There was nothing wrong with the nails to look at, they werent very long and they looked fairly natural. They just hurt like hell. I have today been to have them soaked off and had gel overlays and I am over the moon. They look like my natural nail and will give my flakey nails underneath a chance to grow a little.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used a product called T.I.P.S. to restore my nails after the nasty false nails experience. It's not available in the stores...I bought it from a shopping channel on TV. It is an oil that you rub into your nails and cuticles. It really helped restore my nails. It makes your nails flexible...unlike most nail strengthening products with make the nails hard and brittle. I bent one of my nails right over...I actually had to bend it back in place but it didn't break. There was a white line where it had bent but after a few days of using the oil the line disappeared.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:02 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by swanny
I think you raise a very valid point Swanny. There are some "cowgirls" out there who don't know how to do the job properly. The same can be said throughout the industry.
My friend is a beauty therapist and had to do 2 years of training to qualify plus on-going updates.
As you say - some people just start up with very limited knowledge.

In my case though my nails grew so quickly I would have had to have infills every 4 days to keep them looking nice
I love to have a professional manicure on my own nails now but unfortunately it's a rare treat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.