Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

House selling in the UK and silly offers

House selling in the UK and silly offers

Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House selling in the UK and silly offers

Me drop the price to meet the market......
Interest what interest, that is offset from the fire sales on things I wouldnt normally purchase.

The marble table I bought from a weekend millionaire looks hell cool in my dining area, at 30% the cost, and only 2 months old.....

Inflated house prices are not sustainable, there is alot of pain to come, especially now as banks are tightening up there criteria on lending.....

I should know, they have knocked me back, and we have two reasonable incomes and no debts...... figure that one out..
Old Jun 27th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
What I have just read, the above is the continuation of people over-inflating their home prices, a old tradition but a fraudulant one.....

GLAD I AM KEEPING MY CASH IN BANK IN THIS OVERPRICED FRADULANT MARKET AT THE MOMENT.

Shame on you and I have no sympathy if you lose thousands, bad karma to you all.... greedy baby boomer generation...
Not everyone that is selling is a baby boomer. Ok i am but we don't have the luxury of employer paid super (dh self employed),never once since starting work at age 15 have either of us claimed a penny from either goverments and anyway we won't get any pension from australia if we go back to live in the UK.Paid into Australian tax system for last 18 years for what.If a client doesn't pay us for weeks on end we have to do without.(no sick pay,annual leave,etc) anyway if baby boomers have assets in property and pensions this would make them self funded retirees and no pension or next to none GIVEN BY THE GOVERMENT(SAVING THE COUNTRY MONEY).

Baby boomers are shutting up shop now to their kids ,no longer the bomd (Bank of mum and dad).
Do you mind me asking what age group you are?
You sound very bitter about things.
Luck that you have money in the bank many people are asset rich but cash poor.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 27th 2009 at 7:05 pm. Reason: Deleted inflamatory language...
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:04 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Me drop the price to meet the market......
Interest what interest, that is offset from the fire sales on things I wouldnt normally purchase.

The marble table I bought from a weekend millionaire looks hell cool in my dining area, at 30% the cost, and only 2 months old.....

Inflated house prices are not sustainable, there is alot of pain to come, especially now as banks are tightening up there criteria on lending.....

I should know, they have knocked me back, and we have two reasonable incomes and no debts...... figure that one out..
The idea IS to meet the market but the market ALWAYS makes an offer below the asking price regardless of what it is. Remember that the value of a house is what people are prepared to pay for it.

And it's not the baby boomers that you should be blaming, but the banks that are paying YOU measley interest on your money. They were the ones lending 125% of the value of homes and making it possible for people to pay eye watering amounts. So hey Mr "Clever", what you are are suggesting is that I sell my house cheaply to benefit people like you so that I can then go on to pay top dollar for my next home... I don't think so!

This is definately one herd that I intend to go along with.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 27th 2009 at 7:06 pm. Reason: Deleted inflamatory language.......
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Not nice at all.

I'm thirty something, with a mortgage on a property of 130% of the value of the house, hows that.......negative gearing all the way....

No doubt you both work and given your self employed may have killed the pig over the last few years in the BOOM so hopefully you saved the $$$'s.

Not bitter at all.....trying to get an honest answer of why everything is so fking expensive.....and where is all the money going these days.....where has it gone in the past, we are a greedy race, new cars, holidays, homes, furnishing, boats, and when the shit hits the fan we expect to raise the price of property to cover it, what a load of bollocks..............

The bank of mum and dad, thats your own stupid fault if thats whats happened to you, never recieved a cent of my parents, and never expected it, if kids cant stand on their own two feet, its tough shit, put up, shut up and fk off....

My money is in the bank.... not much there but Im capatilising slowly, waiting for banks to loosen their criteria.
BTW there is this absolutely amazing unit around the corner, a couple moving back to the UK, I have offered an amazingly low offer, but slowly they are coming back to test me, I think someone if not me will snap it up, 40% of the current market value due to their haste.

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
Sorry your a f&&&&&g twat. Not everyone that is selling is a baby boomer. Ok i am but we don't have the luxury of employer paid super (dh self employed),never once since starting work at age 15 have either of us claimed a penny from either goverments and anyway we won't get any pension from australia if we go back to live in the UK.Paid into Australian tax system for last 18 years for what.If a client doesn't pay us for weeks on end we have to do without.(no sick pay,annual leave,etc) anyway if baby boomers have assets in property and pensions this would make them self funded retirees and no pension or next to none GIVEN BY THE GOVERMENT(SAVING THE COUNTRY MONEY).

Baby boomers are shutting up shop now to their kids ,no longer the bomd (Bank of mum and dad).
Do you mind me asking what age group you are?
You sound very bitter about things.
Luck that you have money in the bank many people are asset rich but cash poor.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Thankyou, this time.

Hey but remember what you lose on this one, you can knock of the next everyone is feeling the pain, just a greedy baby boomer generation that has spent well and obviously not educated the generations below too well....

Originally Posted by paulry
What a pillock! The idea IS to meet the market but the market ALWAYS makes an offer below the asking price regardless of what it is. Remember that the value of a house is what people are prepared to pay for it.

And it's not the baby boomers that you should be blaming, but the banks that are paying YOU measley interest on your money. They were the ones lending 125% of the value of homes and making it possible for people to pay eye watering amounts. So hey Mr "Clever", what you are are suggesting is that I sell my house cheaply to benefit twats like you so that I can then go on to pay top dollar for my next home... I don't think so!

This is definately one herd that I intend to go along with.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 27th 2009 at 7:07 pm. Reason: Deleted inlamatory language....
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:02 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Guys & galls I know this is a highly sensitive subject - can we keep things calm please and mind the inflamatory language.

It's a great discussion - we don't want the thread closing

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 27th 2009 at 7:09 pm. Reason: changed the wording...it's not the language it's the fact it's upsetting people that's the problem ;-)
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Not nice at all.

I'm thirty something, with a mortgage on a property of 130% of the value of the house, hows that.......negative gearing all the way....

No doubt you both work and given your self employed may have killed the pig over the last few years in the BOOM so hopefully you saved the $$$'s.

Not bitter at all.....trying to get an honest answer of why everything is so fking expensive.....and where is all the money going these days.....where has it gone in the past, we are a greedy race, new cars, holidays, homes, furnishing, boats, and when the shit hits the fan we expect to raise the price of property to cover it, what a load of bollocks..............

The bank of mum and dad, thats your own stupid fault if thats whats happened to you, never recieved a cent of my parents, and never expected it, if kids cant stand on their own two feet, its tough shit, put up, shut up and fk off....

My money is in the bank.... not much there but Im capatilising slowly, waiting for banks to loosen their criteria.
BTW there is this absolutely amazing unit around the corner, a couple moving back to the UK, I have offered an amazingly low offer, but slowly they are coming back to test me, I think someone if not me will snap it up, 40% of the current market value due to their haste.
We have a very small morgage on our home and would never consider getting a big one due to the fact dh is self employed and if something happened to him workwise what i earned (previously) would not pay morgage,feed us and pay utilities,also paying tax and gst upfront quarterly (based on year before).So in effect we would be screwed.Actually i had to retire ((nurse) through health problems and no we didn't kill the pig as we were still raising our family.
We don't have own fancy cars (10 year old toyota landcruiser,dodgy old work van that was hit by an emu one week and the next a kangaroo jumped out).Our boat is an 18ft runaround bought in 1998. AS to the bank of mum and dad i didnt say that's what we did, i made a statement of fact that is what is happening,although i bet my bottom dollar if your parents were to die (hope they go on for many years to come) and leave a wad of cash you wouldn't forgo it would you??? Think about when you retire if you are over 30 born after (1977) that is the cut off point. As stated gov don't want to pay a state pension,they want you to be self funded.I also think you are one of the greedy, hoping to squeeze what you can out of someone elses misfortune.You are no better when it comes to talk of greed,having to own properties etc.YOU are one of the generation that thinks the baby boomers are the root of all evil,its bankers etc in your generation that allowed foolish people to borrow so much .We had not been taught accounting etc at school unless going to work in office etc,my schooling was in sciences and how i was brought up to value money,stocking shelves in supermarkets at 13 and working on a saturday in clothing shop for my money (parents stopped spending money by that age).

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 27th 2009 at 7:44 pm. Reason: Deleted inflamatory language...
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou, this time.

Hey but remember what you lose on this one, you can knock of the next everyone is feeling the pain, just a greedy baby boomer generation that has spent well and obviously not educated the generations below too well....
If I understood correctly what you meant, I've not overspent ...'have always been very careful with money. Same here with no bank of Mum and Dad but they did their best to get me started by providing incentives such as supplementing my efforts which I'm now doing for my own kids.

The fact is some people are desparate to sell (such as the people that you were referring to who are returning to the UK) so may sell at a discount to the market. You choose to target and feed off such people, I guess in much the same way as you did with the marble table. When I buy I'll be looking at the whole of the market with my main aim being to get a good family home. The plans keep on changing for when we arrive in Australia though... Decided to rent first so that we can learn about the local market and determine which are the best suburbs. That way we'll also retain a strong financial position until we are settled... Would hate to jump in feet first and risk suffering the same fate as those poor people that you are currently targetting.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
We have a very small morgage on our home and would never consider getting a big one due to the fact dh is self employed and if something happened to him workwise what i earned (previously) would not pay morgage,feed us and pay utilities,also paying tax and gst upfront quarterly (based on year before).So in effect we would be screwed.Actually i had to retire ((nurse) through health problems and no we didn't kill the pig as we were still raising our family.
We don't have own fancy cars (10 year old toyota landcruiser,dodgy old work van that was hit by an emu one week and the next a kangaroo jumped out).Our boat is an 18ft runaround bought in 1998. AS to the bank of mum and dad i didnt say that's what we did, i made a statement of fact that is what is happening,although i bet my bottom dollar if your parents were to die (hope they go on for many years to come) and leave a wad of cash you wouldn't forgo it would you??? Think about when you retire if you are over 30 born after (1977) that is the cut off point. As stated gov don't want to pay a state pension,they want you to be self funded.I also think you are one of the greedy, hoping to squeeze what you can out of someone elses misfortune.You are no better when it comes to talk of greed,having to own properties etc.YOU are one of the generation that thinks the baby boomers are the root of all evil,its bankers etc in your generation that allowed foolish people to borrow so much .We had not been taught accounting etc at school unless going to work in office etc,my schooling was in sciences and how i was brought up to value money,stocking shelves in supermarkets at 13 and working on a saturday in clothing shop for my money (parents stopped spending money by that age).

Much the same as me in regard to stocking shelves at 13, etc. And you are right about the 30s generation. They are the ones who lost touch with reality and allowed the prices to spiral the way that they have. Now those in their 20s are in dire straights and have hardly a hope in hell of getting onto the property ladder. I wonder what's in store for those who are currently aged between 10 and 20?
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Nobody should make an excuse for having money.

Whether you worked for it, inherited it, or were just plain lucky - provided you didn't steal it then no problem. Greed is a relative statement generally espoused by those who have less.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou, this time.

Christ Almighty... how do you manage to get about with a chip that size on both shoulders?.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

What is a Baby Boomer?
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:55 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonlec
What is a Baby Boomer?
Here is the definition mate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Here is the definition mate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer
Thanks, counts me out then.

Back to the house thing, I reckon its worth whatever somebody will pay for it.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jasonlec
.......I reckon its worth whatever somebody will pay for it.
Exactly, and whatever price someone is prepared to let it go for.

Supply and demand & vice versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.