Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is the grass greener?

Is the grass greener?

Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by KLF
Define ill-equipped in the context of emigrating to Australia.
Lack of initiative, skills, attitude, life experience. People who have lived away from their home town or overseas on business for example have experience of living in another place. People who are fairly enlightened can see that the way another country does something is different, not necessarily wrong, or work out how to overcome issues.

Living in one place perhaps with limited horizons in England and then trying to replicate it exactly in another may not work.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:52 am
Just Joined

cavacharva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Personally I think you do give toss about how many legal/illegal migrants are moving to UK, otherwise you wouldnt mention it, & look for website to tell us about it.
You would get it in Germany, I use to live in Germany 14 years ago, & they had organization which use to help immigrants of non speaking Germans countries, I use to work for them on voluntary basis, they use to get them translators, then they use to help them to learn the langauge.
You seem to hate legal/illegal migrant in UK so much, why not go & get job with those organizations who works with some of these illegal migrant, & find out for yourself why they had to leave their country in the first place than you might just have a little more sympathy towards them.
Just remember when you come here, you are just as equal to all Aisan/African/Chinese & loads other nationality, because you are migrating like them, & would get treated the same.
I love Australia.
You seem like a nice caring person to give up your time to do this and good for you for doing it.

However you seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying. Some immigration is OK but the scale we have had in the UK in the past few years is over and above what we can cope with. After all we are already a small overcrowed island.

Since the new EU countries have joined we've has something like a million poles in the country. Nobody really knows because the government has stopped counting who enters and leaves the country.

But don't believe me do some research for yourself. It's very easy for those in Australia to critisise people for giving this reason for leaving the UK when they have no clue about what's going on here anymore.

For your information I don't expect to be treated any differently in Australia for the colour of my skin or background which you naively assumed was non of those you mentioned.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:23 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavacharva
You seem like a nice caring person to give up your time to do this and good for you for doing it.

However you seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying. Some immigration is OK but the scale we have had in the UK in the past few years is over and above what we can cope with. After all we are already a small overcrowed island.

Since the new EU countries have joined we've has something like a million poles in the country. Nobody really knows because the government has stopped counting who enters and leaves the country.

But don't believe me do some research for yourself. It's very easy for those in Australia to critisise people for giving this reason for leaving the UK when they have no clue about what's going on here anymore.

For your information I don't expect to be treated any differently in Australia for the colour of my skin or background which you naively assumed was non of those you mentioned.

Looks like a couple of posters have blown your theory out of the water about it happening in other european countries. I'm still in the UK, I have a clue about what is going on and the perception of the media about what is going on.

Besides, I guarentee you this, if the Govt are indeed wasting millions/billions on immigrants (illegal/legal) and they stopped spending this money, do you really believe that they would then spend it on something that would benefit you????? I think we can both agree that the answer is probably not.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=manc1;5741424]
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Have you heard the old saying they use in England. The further north you go the friendlier the people.
In my personal experience - I think you're right.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant future

Some immigration is OK but the scale we have had in the UK in the past few years is over and above what we can cope with. After all we are already a small overcrowed island..

Got to agree, you need to be living here to appreciate the scale of it. It's easy to knock people for speaking their minds when you are living in a big country with a small population.

Dizzy
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

del k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura about

I have been living in Perth with husband and two little girls for over 18 months now. We came for a change and told everyone back home in Scotland that it was for 2 years and we'd go home. After the intial homesickness that did last for about 9 months I now love it here and don't want to leave. The kids have a wonderful life in the sunshine, even in winter most days they are out playing with minimal clothes at some point.
Perth is a great city. Tagged Dullsville by some I agree that the suburbs lack character but you have to get yourself motivated to visit some of the more happening areas. There's lots on if you look for it and it's easy to relax and enjoy yourself when the sun is shining.
Don't get me wrong, I've done my share of moaning but now I see the positives here far outweigh any desire to go home. Unfortunately the decision for us is looming and starting to feel the pressure from family and friends to come up with a plan. Beginning dread phone calls from home.
I agree with all the points you made in the first post and we came from a really nice quiet town but the future is what we have to consider especially for the kid's sake.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.

I fully intend intergrating into Australian society. Speaking the langauge etc... I have to otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in the country.

That can not be said for the millions of people who have arrived on our island the past few years.

If people all want to create a little bit of home right down to the language they speak then the UK will cease to exist.

As if you would actually like immigrants in the UK if they did attempt to integrate. The Polish tend to integrate, does it mean you like em-and seriously so what if tesco's sells Polish food it's not like it detracts from the other food there . Pity the british didnt integrate with the locals 200 years ago in Oz!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

problem with what you are saying is that a recent well-publicised survey stated that one-in-two Australians had a parent born overseas-only fourteen percent of that number born in NZ or the British Isles-in Sydney Anglo-Australians are already a minority-so perhaps its about choosing the right country to go to. Your viewpoint is just full of errors, in percentage points more migrants come to Australia per year-really.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:40 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

on the whole,,,

yes
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bella-71
Just wondered if the grass is actually greener on the other side?

Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life.

I`ve read lots of mixed messages on these boards. Our reasons for thinking we would like to leave the UK and emigrate are as follows:

1/ The UK is going downhill, I work for the civil service and it is clearly tumbling!

2/ The population! Houses being built 3 stories high in every small space around cities and towns. And right behind our house that used to be a clear open space full of trees.

3/ The amount of immigrants both legal and illegal that are getting into the UK

4/ The fact that there are knives and drugs in most schools

5/ The fact that I cant allow my children to walk to the corner shop alone as a convicted child rapist has been re housed just up the road.

6/ The fact that we went on holiday to Florida for 2 weeks and by the time we returned there had been 3 murders in our town

I am not stupid and know that day to day life is mundane where-ever you live but surely we should give it a go for the sake of our children and the next generations!

I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live.

I will be leaving a lot of close friends behind, my Mum and Dad will be the biggest wrench from the kids but its our life, not theirs and surely we should do with it as we see fit.

Any advice or comments appreciated.
I you don't mind me asking ! What town do you live in?