Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is the grass greener?

Is the grass greener?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

bella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nice
Default Is the grass greener?

Just wondered if the grass is actually greener on the other side?

Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life.

I`ve read lots of mixed messages on these boards. Our reasons for thinking we would like to leave the UK and emigrate are as follows:

1/ The UK is going downhill, I work for the civil service and it is clearly tumbling!

2/ The population! Houses being built 3 stories high in every small space around cities and towns. And right behind our house that used to be a clear open space full of trees.

3/ The amount of immigrants both legal and illegal that are getting into the UK

4/ The fact that there are knives and drugs in most schools

5/ The fact that I cant allow my children to walk to the corner shop alone as a convicted child rapist has been re housed just up the road.

6/ The fact that we went on holiday to Florida for 2 weeks and by the time we returned there had been 3 murders in our town

I am not stupid and know that day to day life is mundane where-ever you live but surely we should give it a go for the sake of our children and the next generations!

I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live.

I will be leaving a lot of close friends behind, my Mum and Dad will be the biggest wrench from the kids but its our life, not theirs and surely we should do with it as we see fit.

Any advice or comments appreciated.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by bella-71

I`ve read lots of mixed messages on these boards. Our reasons for thinking we would like to leave the UK and emigrate are as follows:

1/ The UK is going downhill, I work for the civil service and it is clearly tumbling!

2/ The population! Houses being built 3 stories high in every small space around cities and towns. And right behind our house that used to be a clear open space full of trees.

5/ The fact that I cant allow my children to walk to the corner shop alone as a convicted child rapist has been re housed just up the road.

6/ The fact that we went on holiday to Florida for 2 weeks and by the time we returned there had been 3 murders in our town

I am not stupid and know that day to day life is mundane where-ever you live but surely we should give it a go for the sake of our children and the next generations!

I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live.

I will be leaving a lot of close friends behind, my Mum and Dad will be the biggest wrench from the kids but its our life, not theirs and surely we should do with it as we see fit.

Think you'll find in most areas in Aus the grass tends to be half dead and brown!!!

Personally wouldn't go to Perth, but just my outlook on the place. Far too remote.
Will give the whole Aus experience as same sh1te in shinier bucket Can't escape issues that are found in any other place in the world and just make sure it's what you all really want!

Oh and final point, why mention immigrants when you intend on becoming one? Seems a bit bizarre....
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:35 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

well where to start ?

it really is up to yourselves guys we all have different reasons for moving and only you can decide if its right or not

in my own case having been over here for only 15 months at the moment i would say definatly yes, dont get me wrong we were doing very well in the uk, i had my own company and deb ( mr mrs ) worked for the local social services

however we now have a standard of living that i dont think we would ever of attained in the uk, certainly not in west machester ( trafford ) where we were
living

personally i`m a hell of alot more laid back and relaxed, but then thats the way of life out here, generally more laid back, this can be frustrating at first
as things get done at a very slow speed, but you quickly adampt

crime is most definatly less where we now live in fact ive noticed that almost non of the houses locally have burlgar alarms ( every single house in our old street was alarmed and had security lights and we lived in a supposedly good area ) and when we vist fiends neighbours / houses its amazing ( coming from manchester ) how many properties are left open / unlocked.
that surly has to be a sign of confidence that your hard earned is safe

you can see where we are up to by checking out his link but be warned there are alot of pages now

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400962

best of luck and regards

steve
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:59 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has its own issues, both social and otherwise. To every point you have made about the UK there is a negative about Australia.

Move for the reasons you can control, rather than the reasons you cant.

The grass isnt greener. Its different is all. That said, I off course love it
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

bella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nice

OK Australia bound, when I mention immigrants I mean in general the illegal ones that seem to egt in and then be allowed to stay even though they bring nothing to the country, also the ones that bring their whole families into the UK and the rest who cant even speak English. I have had massive experience of these people in my job face to face on their doorsteps and they are just downright rude! I will certainly not be that in Australia!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:28 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Belle-71, i totally agree with your last statement, being a ex-civil servant myself and dealing front line for the most of my life, i can totally understand where you are coming from.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

OK Australia bound, when I mention immigrants I mean in general the illegal ones that seem to egt in and then be allowed to stay even though they bring nothing to the country, also the ones that bring their whole families into the UK and the rest who cant even speak English. I have had massive experience of these people in my job face to face on their doorsteps and they are just downright rude! I will certainly not be that in Australia!!
AGREED - I was speaking to a guy who is Oz for 6 weeks holiday and he was telling me that its getting worse by the day - and he lives in rural Norfolk. Speaking to some friends back home, they were telling me that our local Tesco's now has a whole isle of Polish food. Main problem is I guess is that the UK is too soft in getting translators, etc.

About 6 months before I left the UK, I visited a food factory in Bradford owend and run by Pakistanis. Nothing wrong with that, but the factory manager that had lived in the UK for 20 years could not speak a word to me in English (his boss had to translate everything). How's that for intergration.

Get out while you can
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience those who come to Australia to "get away from the UK" rather than to experience life in Australia, are the first ones to be whinging about how crap things are in Australia, and often live in Oz the shortest time before running off back to good old familiar England/Scotland wherever.

You don't mention a single thing about Australia, positive or negative in your post, its all negative UK stuff.

So in answer to your question "Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life." I would say in your case probably not as you don't seem to want to come to Australia at all, you just seem to want to leave the UK.

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:11 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents....yep,grass is greener.....still needs mowing tho'...
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In my experience those who come to Australia to "get away from the UK" rather than to experience life in Australia, are the first ones to be whinging about how crap things are in Australia, and often live in Oz the shortest time before running off back to good old familiar England/Scotland wherever.

You don't mention a single thing about Australia, positive or negative in your post, its all negative UK stuff.

So in answer to your question "Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life." I would say in your case probably not as you don't seem to want to come to Australia at all, you just seem to want to leave the UK.

Buzzy
Excellent points and very good post
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:41 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sdunx
Excellent points and very good post
What was excellent about the post! I thought it was ignorant. Who is BUZZY B To say ( Iwould say in your case probably not as you dont seem to want to come to australia at all.You just seem to want to leave the u.k.
Well i guess it is quite obvious the poster wishes to leave the u.k. as do most of the posters on here. And give the guy a break (You dont mention a single thing about Australiia positive or negative in your post its all negative u.k. stuff! Well maybe the poster cant make comments on any aspect of Australian life, that is why they are on here to find out. The whole process as we all know is extremely stressfull and know one can tell how anyone else might get on in a new country because until one makes the move one never knows unless your name is BUZZY B Then you can tell from a SINGLE post whether someone might be suitable.
Buzz off! i say.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, do lots of thinking into what you want from life - job, house, school, area, lifestyle etc. Then check out if you can get what you want in Aus. The cost of living is similar to the UK and house prices have risen dramatically.

I would also consider if there is anywhere in the UK or elsewhere you can move to which is better than where you are now? I have no idea where you live, but the crime sounds terrible and I live in a UK city.

Having said that, we have done our research and think we have found what we want in Aus - although we enjoy living in the UK. For us the 'pull' is stronger than the push.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fly Away
To the OP, do lots of thinking into what you want from life - job, house, school, area, lifestyle etc. Then check out if you can get what you want in Aus. The cost of living is similar to the UK and house prices have risen dramatically.

I would also consider if there is anywhere in the UK or elsewhere you can move to which is better than where you are now? I have no idea where you live, but the crime sounds terrible and I live in a UK city.

Having said that, we have done our research and think we have found what we want in Aus - although we enjoy living in the UK. For us the 'pull' is stronger than the push.
Good advice excellent points
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:14 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the history of migration over the last few hundred years and you'll see the same thing coming up over and over again - people moving to another country looking for a better quality of life.

Problem is that they can be disappointed to find that the new country often has similar problems to the one they've just left, plus some. As an immigrant you may be discriminated against. Add to that the loss of your support network - family and friends, having to adapt to new working practices, schools etc. and it's not exactly a walk in the park and nothing like the migration TV shows which are so staged they are unreal.

If you are really serious about getting out of the UK I strongly recommend that you come to Australia, take a look around and line up some job interviews if you can. Don't just focus on Perth either, there is a whole continent to choose from and you are looking for something that is better than you're leaving behind.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Well said Buzzy, as with most home truths you will get flak for this (as you will have been aware when you posted it) but what you say is generally true.

Cheers,
Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.