Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Did a bit of research today, and for the record, Queensland has never targetted public holidays for double demerit points, but yes, the twice in 12 months rule does apply, regardless of the day of the year. This only came into force in the last couple of years.

No , Queensland Police officers dont get paid double time on a public holiday , they get extra if they work overtime, but I think that applies to a lot of industries in Qld.

And lastly, our boys in blue have taken a bit of a slating in this topic, found this 'funny' on another internet site which is a bit of revenge for them

No, I dont care who you are...
No, I don't care who you know...
Yes, you do pay my salary...
Yes, you can have my job...
No, I don't have anything better to do...
Yes, I do arrest real criminals sometimes...
No, I'm not picking on you...
No, I can't let you off...
No, I don't know your mate who is a police officer...
Yes, I am sure you know the Commissioner...
No, I don't care that he will give me the sack...
Yes, you will be allowed to make a phone call...
Yes, I am sure your Lawyer will be interested...
Yes, you will probably never do it again...
No, we can't talk about it...
Yes, it does make me happy...
Yes, you will see me in Court...

It sure does pee you off but it is funny I think
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:58 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auspal
Did a bit of research today, and for the record, Queensland has never targetted public holidays for double demerit points, but yes, the twice in 12 months rule does apply, regardless of the day of the year. This only came into force in the last couple of years.
You didn't do a very good job with the research mate, take a read of this article [from the QLD Police website] It quite clearly gives the dates that "Double Bubble" were enforced, in QLD, over the Easter weekend last year. As I said in my previous post it was April last year, incidentally the same time my Dad was caught and copped double points double fine, his first and only speeding/motoring offence.
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+an...4/easter10.htm

“We are confident that prospect of double-demerit points will hang heavily over the heads of motorists who continue to flout the rules this Easter and we will be doing everything we can to change their behaviour,” said State Traffic Support Group Acting Superintendent Peter Mansfield.
.................................................. .....................
Traffic police will launch their Easter enforcement from midnight Wednesday April 12 to midnight Tuesday April 18 in line with the commencement of the national campaign.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

It is irrelevant what date the double bubble came in, okay it came in at Easter, but it applies to 365 days of the year regardless and will continue to do so.

If you speed on a public holiday in Queensland you do not automatically get double demerit points, and never have done. That has been my point all along, I think we might be talking at cross purposes here, unless you disagree with the above statement.

( I did do my research carefully, honest)

Sounds like a mistake was made with your dad, if he was in Qld.

Last edited by auspal; Jul 3rd 2007 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

“We are confident that prospect of double-demerit points will hang heavily over the heads of motorists who continue to flout the rules this Easter and we will be doing everything we can to change their behaviour,” said State Traffic Support Group Acting Superintendent Peter Mansfield.

"Continue to flout" being the operative word
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:16 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Well it has to be said that at least 80% of that is complete tosh. Obviously this is part of Jeremy's style and what makes him funny. However, people actually believe what he says (as noted at the beginning of his article) because it appeals to their sense of injustice (read victimhood).

Where would Jeremy be without the gullible
Anyone reading Jeremy knows he sets out to be funny and I'm not gullible at all I know what the law in QLD is. That doesn't say I have to agree with it. Aussies say they want to reduce emisions but slow you down at every chance there by increasing emisions, use traffic lights instead of roundabouts to ruin the flow of traffic and never connect half the roads to each other forcing people into bottle necks making everyone waste quality time in a car. Easing the flow would enable people to get everywhere faster at a reasonable speed.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:24 am

It is the only thing I can think of to slow people down,to hit them where it hurts , in the pocket I dont think that you should be watching your speedo all the time, but there is nothing to stop you glancing at it from time to time as it can run away from you, then when the unexpected occurs you can react safely. Is there any statistics on the accidents called by people suddenty braking because they have seen a speed camera? Theres plenty of statistics of fatal traffic accidents where speed is a factor, many single vehicle . If you run into the back of a car then you are responsble for the accident, no matter what, as you have to drive a safe distance behind to be able to stop safely. I think it is a part of the driving test, speed v. distance.

I dont think that we have the system in Queensland of permanent cameras, as far as I know they have speed camera vans that set up in different spots every day, usually where a lot of traffic accidents occur, they are not hidden either, though I believe they now use other vehicles other than the usual white vans.

I've seen a few 'advisory signs' here on the motorway, they tell you your speed and the required speed, they are a great idea.
I do brake when I see a speed camera as I'd rather slow down and check I'm under than take a hit in the pocket and have noticed others doing the same it's human nature. Others can speak for themselves. Most Aussies can't figure out the 2 second rule never mind use it. QLD have numerous red light cameras some are dual use and there's one at Brendale definitley.

Why don't they print the speed frequently on the road instead of an odd sign here and there if they really want you to slow down???
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:10 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
Anyone reading Jeremy knows he sets out to be funny and I'm not gullible at all I know what the law in QLD is. That doesn't say I have to agree with it. Aussies say they want to reduce emisions but slow you down at every chance there by increasing emisions, use traffic lights instead of roundabouts to ruin the flow of traffic and never connect half the roads to each other forcing people into bottle necks making everyone waste quality time in a car. Easing the flow would enable people to get everywhere faster at a reasonable speed.
As you never actually stated you agreed with it, it is hard to judge your gulibility. However there were other posters who thought it was spot on. They truely are gulible.

Where I live we have loads of roundabouts and hardly any lights what conclusion about Aussies should I draw from that?

Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
You didn't do a very good job with the research mate, take a read of this article [from the QLD Police website] It quite clearly gives the dates that "Double Bubble" were enforced, in QLD, over the Easter weekend last year. As I said in my previous post it was April last year, incidentally the same time my Dad was caught and copped double points double fine, his first and only speeding/motoring offence.
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+an...4/easter10.htm

.................................................. .....................
Traffic police will launch their Easter enforcement from midnight Wednesday April 12 to midnight Tuesday April 18 in line with the commencement of the national campaign.

Yeah I definitely remember this, the double points over a public holiday thing, it was mentioned either on the news or trusty Courier Mail (or maybe even radio?). They implemented it due to the heavier traffic/worse road death toll over public holidays. I'm with you on this one!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

The revenue raised from fines goes to the Dept of Transport, not the Queensland Police Service, bet the cops would love it if they got a bonus from the tickets. A lot more would be issued I'm sure

Apparently then the revenue is supposed to pay for new roads or fixing up danger zones and other transport related issues.
Yeah, but whether they get a bonus or not, don't they have a quota they have to fill, a bit like traffic wardens. Or is that an urban myth?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:23 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

As an outside observer on things Queenslandish I'm not clear whether the rules were brought in just for Easter and then brought in permanently at a later date or whether they were brought in permanently at the beginning of Easter?

Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:04 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

What a rude lady you are, and ill informed too, but I will get to that

You might want to rethink the words above your avatar too.
Well if you had read the previous threads then you wouldnt have had to repeat what some other BE'ers had said. As for ill informed, I actually have an aussie friend who is a traffic cop and he agreed with Cresta, about the fines/points being double on bank holidays, so I think you'll find I'm not ill informed, I think perhaps its you who is.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
As you never actually stated you agreed with it, it is hard to judge your gulibility. However there were other posters who thought it was spot on. They truely are gulible.

Where I live we have loads of roundabouts and hardly any lights what conclusion about Aussies should I draw from that?

That you are dead and live in heaven...
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by meelie
Well if you had read the previous threads then you wouldnt have had to repeat what some other BE'ers had said. As for ill informed, I actually have an aussie friend who is a traffic cop and he agreed with Cresta, about the fines/points being double on bank holidays, so I think you'll find I'm not ill informed, I think perhaps its you who is.
Confirmed by the police themselves what finer source could we ask for... .

It's advertised every public holiday weekend along with increased rbt's on the radio and next time you see your Aussie mate ask him if the Aussie cops have the power of descresion as they never seem to use it like the UK cops did.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:14 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

It's advertised every public holiday weekend along with increased rbt's on the radio and next time you see your Aussie mate ask him if the Aussie cops have the power of descresion as they never seem to use it like the UK cops did.
Nah they won't use discretion! They enjoy the power trip too much I think and Stewie ( traffic cop) found it hilarious when I told him about my ticket! He speeds but when he's been pulled over he whips out his id and gets nothing!
:curse:
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps its not the source, but where the source is coming from, you are wrong matey

Just reminded me of the name of a band in Houston Texas , my mates son is the lead singer, " Consider the Source", is a great name. LOL

Last edited by auspal; Jul 4th 2007 at 10:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.