Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good year to head back to the UK???

Good year to head back to the UK???

Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:46 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good year to head back to the UK???

Originally Posted by MABHULL
I am Serious thinking about moving the family out to australia or canada and currently collating as much info as possible before we go for it. my reasons for the move are we do no longer live in a country were in my opinion crime is not addressed and nipped in the bud early enough and if you have a problem with the authorities (police/schools/councils) you are brushed aside and treated as though you are the criminal.
if you work hard and do your best and need a helping hand from the state when you are ill no benefit or help is available. the only time you benefit is when you do not work or intend to work.
no prospects for the uk for the ordinary working person. get crippled on owning a car (road tax,insurance, fuel prices etc)
small businesses are hounded for tax monies owed and put out of business resulting in small family businesses going under and families struggling.however big companies get away scott free owning millions.
one rule for the working man and one rule for people with plenty of money.
health relies on the postcode lottery if you do not live in the area which will allow certain drugs you are done for.and as mentioned previously europe when this bubble bursts what then ?.

why the whinge an whining ? you may ask , i have been self employed for some timenow and I owe no-one , I have constantly strived to make a good life for my wife and family and I believe the time as come to do the same as others and do not give a hoot for my fellow man and think only of myself and I will not lie and cheat to get what I want so I will find somewhere else to live with like minded people like myelf who believe all people should have the same rights and are friendly and caring towards each other.ideal world I know but I feel that this is what I have to do.

I would leave the uk tomorrow, I know I have family and friends here who we love and I can only see things getting worse and harder to make a living and keep your head just above water.
moan over

If I was you I would think of quality of life you have at the moment and why did you first leave the uk because things will be probaly a lot worse now then they were when you first left.

sorry for the bad image I make the uk look but it is true in my area and find respectable people suffer and a careless attitude is persistant and growing.
I
on a good note happy new year everyone ..

best wishes

mark
May I recommend Queensland? I think you'll love it.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

MABHULL is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for the recommendation whats house prices like ?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

we do no longer live in a country were in my opinion crime is not addressed and nipped in the bud early enough
Surely that's a good thing?

But anyway, you'll hear Aussies all whinging about the way crime is dealt with and the sentences courts hand down.

if you work hard and do your best and need a helping hand from the state when you are ill no benefit or help is available.
I know for a fact that's untrue.

get crippled on owning a car (road tax,insurance, fuel prices etc)
I pay much less for fuel in Australia. I pay much more for tax (rego).

small businesses are hounded for tax monies owed and put out of business resulting in small family businesses going under and families struggling.however big companies get away scott free owning millions.
one rule for the working man and one rule for people with plenty of money.
Yes, we pay tax here too...around about the same amount by all accounts.

health relies on the postcode lottery
Same in Australia. Good hospitals, bad hospitals.

house prices
Are you sitting down?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has personal reasons for loving/hating the UK/Australia. For us, the UK had become a place where everyone was out for themselves and always in too much of a rush to get everything done. OH hated the long commute into an office that looked out onto a concrete wall, and DD was bullied for being different from the pack of tarted up boy mad girls in her class. (At PRIMARY school!)

For us the move has been well worthwhile- DD is blossoming and has a nice lot of friends, OH has a shorter commute (longer hours though) and looks out onto the harbour by Circular Quay - he has just been offered a choice of where he would like to take a job, but said he realised that he is where he wants to be. I certainly don't miss the dark, cold, long drawn out winters that left me gloomy.

Yes things are not uniformly cheap here, but having said that, we have a 4 bed house with pool and send DD to a private school, which we could not have afforded in the UK.

For my sister in the UK who is an emergency planner, life is very tough -she has not had a pay rise for 5 years, and her department has been cut so she is doing more work. She is now in danger of losing her job too - and this is in the central southwest of the UK. My brother owns his own firm and has had to let people go as orders dry up. So life isn't all peachy in the south either.

If you have strong personal reasons for going, then go. Don't be swayed by what people say on here, as opinions vary wildly. Weigh up your own pros and cons and then see how you feel.

Oh, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:47 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the recommendation whats house prices like ?
I think she was kidding

Mate all the problems you identify in UK exist in Aus and house prices here are just CRAZY with higher interest rates than UK

Look, the whole world is feeling the pain of recession so nowhere is having it easy at this time. I've read a few of your posts and you seem to be really unhappy and this is making you look elsewhere for utopia. It doesn't exist mate and moving for the wrong reasons and unrealistic expectations is a receipe for failure. Besides, you need to check out if you can get your visa yet

I hope things start to look up for you mate. Aus is a great place to live but it's not without it's problems. Housing, utility and food prices are crazy...and despite what crap is spouted in the newspapers there aiint loads of top dollar jobs in mining going begging. Life here is no bed of roses either.

Good luck with things mate
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
May I recommend Queensland? I think you'll love it.

New Year, same rose tinted specs
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

4 pages of waffle.

let's be honest the only difference between the UK and Australia is that Australia is warmer and has a shit load of coal and gas. That is offset by the fact it's thousands of miles from anywhere interesting.

Been here 10 months and I actually believe that to be true.

At some point the coal and gas will run out, but not for a while so if you work in the right industry why not come and milk it for a while.

If it's a change in lifestyle you want you'd be better moving to France or Spain.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
4 pages of waffle.

let's be honest the only difference between the UK and Australia is that Australia is warmer and has a shit load of coal and gas. That is offset by the fact it's thousands of miles from anywhere interesting.

Been here 10 months and I actually believe that to be true.

At some point the coal and gas will run out, but not for a while so if you work in the right industry why not come and milk it for a while.

If it's a change in lifestyle you want you'd be better moving to France or Spain.
Weather/Coal/Gas isn't the only difference.

I'll cite the amount of living space you get for your money as one blindingly obvious addition to what would be a long list.

Thanks for the additional waffle though
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

PortPhillipPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you have strong personal reasons for going, then go. Don't be swayed by what people say on here, as opinions vary wildly. Weigh up your own pros and cons and then see how you feel.

Oh, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks Caroline,

That pretty much sums it up. We both realise (more for me) that I would like to go back for a couple of years & see how we feel before committing either here or there.

We're all for coming back if after being in Oz 5 years we find the UK not to our taste anymore....but unless you try!

I'm glad theres a mix of views here, even more positives than I thought there would be, so that goes to reconfirm our intention.

Always interesting to get strangers opinions on these heavy/life changing decisions
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I've never understood this belief that this country magically offers a better life for kids. Our kids friends spend hours indoors on computers and playing 'video' games as it is usually too hot to play outside or just recently too wet. Maybe it makes people feel better to believe it ?
I think so much of this depends on where you are in aus and where you were in the uk.

Certainly for us the access to swimming lessons is hugely better in Australia. Winter sports programs are extremely popular, well organized and well run. Availability and access are much better than where we were in the uk (and choice). We are 10 minutes drive from beaches that compare with the best I've seen anywhere and so in the summer holidays we snorkel ing looking at various sea life for at least 2 or3 days each week.

I often think our kids have done better here than they would have in the uk, but I also know that without a control this is purely hypothetical.

Coupled with that, because there is so much activity available I think it makes for kids who are less focused on being teenagers (dressing up for the mall) and more focused on being kids.

However, our kids will still sit and play on computers and iPods for endless hours if we let them.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Weather/Coal/Gas isn't the only difference.

I'll cite the amount of living space you get for your money as one blindingly obvious addition to what would be a long list.

lol.

All depends I suppose, on what you had and what you have.

It certainly isn't blindingly obvious to me because I don't despite paying significantly more for my house here, a similar amount in dollars a week to what I could have got in pounds a month in the UK if I'd rented my house out.

That's for a wooden house with poky windows and tin roof versus a 110 year old sandstone house with 15ft ceilings and much bigger bedrooms.

In fact I'd hazard a guess that at the current exchange rate you would only get significantly more living space by living in the sticks like you.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the same thing when reading that post, I hope the OP doesn't think it's any different here. Small business suffers while big business gets away with everything.
Yes we pay less for petrol but most pay more for our equivalent of road tax.
Hospitals here are a lottery, some good some bad. Last month my wife was told she would have to wait a minimum of 2 years for a operation on her neck to relieve pain, this was after a 6 month wait to see the surgeon.
Unfortunately Utopia doesn't exist, when you find this place where everyone is friendly and caring don't keep it to yourself.
If getting out of the UK is important please do it but try to keep your expectations reasonable.

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Mate all the problems you identify in UK exist in Aus and house prices here are just CRAZY with higher interest rates than UK

Look, the whole world is feeling the pain of recession so nowhere is having it easy at this time. I've read a few of your posts and you seem to be really unhappy and this is making you look elsewhere for utopia. It doesn't exist mate and moving for the wrong reasons and unrealistic expectations is a receipe for failure. Besides, you need to check out if you can get your visa yet

I hope things start to look up for you mate. Aus is a great place to live but it's not without it's problems. Housing, utility and food prices are crazy...and despite what crap is spouted in the newspapers there aiint loads of top dollar jobs in mining going begging. Life here is no bed of roses either.

Good luck with things mate
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that is any longer the case,when we bought 10 years ago then yes definitely but from what we have seen on our search for suitable property in the UK we can get a big house on a big block for roughly the same as here and of course it is house that will last any 100's of years.

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:50 am
Banned

Of course, that rule applies to literally everything. That is why it is ridiculous to say kids are better off in Australia, it depends on lots of factors. If you live on the coast and your kids love the beach then that is better for them. If you live in the bush and your kids love the beach well that's a different story.

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I think so much of this depends on where you are in aus and where you were in the uk.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:18 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh good old BE. Those who love the UK (but live here) bitching against those who love Australia (and live here).

I 110% agree with TE (again, this is a real worry).

I think there is no doubt now that the Greeks WILL default, its just a case of timing. Even the 50% haircut leaves them unable to service the debts, and when they default all hell will break loose.

UK banks and business are exposed to the problem, and there WILL be a repeat of the GFC - only far worse. Basically many will be left without a pot to pee in.

I would wait it out until mid 2012 before making a call. The situation may look very different by then.

There are those on BE who will tell you the UK will muddle through, the world will keep turning, it won't happen etc. I pray to God that they are right, because all of my family are there. But the rational economist in me says that the shot is about to hit the outhouse door. When it does I would advise you not to be sitting inside it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.