Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good year to head back to the UK???

Good year to head back to the UK???

Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:02 am
Just Joined

PortPhillipPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good year to head back to the UK???

I wanted to throw this out there, more for curiosity to gauge the general consensus from the BE members....all feedback (except insulting welcome).

We're 95% certain at heading back this year for various reasons; family, sort out loose ends, decide how we feel about being back up-top etc.
But of course what with the on-going situation back in Europe we cant help wondering if Europe is on the precipice and if we're flying into the storm, or as is always the case with newspapers its always the worst news makes good press.

We know its bad, but coming from & moving back to London & speaking with friends back home apart from the usual hikes in train fares, utilities (bit like here really..) there isn't mass unemployment/depression...yet!
Our decision is too either head back this year, or leave it another year until 2013.

Of course I will need to work (IT) but the urgency isn't there immediately on touch down. One positive is the good exchange rates heading back..

This current situation just seems to drag on, you do wonder how long it will last, what the eventual outcome will be & how severe..

Thoughts please.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:05 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good year to head back to the UK???

Originally Posted by PortPhillipPom
I wanted to throw this out there, more for curiosity to gauge the general consensus from the BE members....all feedback (except insulting welcome).

We're 95% certain at heading back this year for various reasons; family, sort out loose ends, decide how we feel about being back up-top etc.
But of course what with the on-going situation back in Europe we cant help wondering if Europe is on the precipice and if we're flying into the storm, or as is always the case with newspapers its always the worst news makes good press.

We know its bad, but coming from & moving back to London & speaking with friends back home apart from the usual hikes in train fares, utilities (bit like here really..) there isn't mass unemployment/depression...yet!
Our decision is too either head back this year, or leave it another year until 2013.

Of course I will need to work (IT) but the urgency isn't there immediately on touch down. One positive is the good exchange rates heading back..

This current situation just seems to drag on, you do wonder how long it will last, what the eventual outcome will be & how severe..

Thoughts please.
You want to go.

The exchange rate is good.

Why wait?

Good Luck.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:08 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts please.
The Greeks could default as early as March and the shock waves will mean a few more UK banks fail or are nationalised. This is likely to result in a greater credit crunch, a run on savings and further devaluation of sterling. The aftermath has to be a weaker UK economy, higher unemployment and drops in house prices. I know that on a microeconomic level it doesn't mean that lifestyles change but I do think I'd wait 6 months to see how Europe unravels and how things settle.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

People in London tell me the same thing...they say you only start to notice things are bad outside of London. It certainly gels with my experience of being there just a few months ago...although to be honest nowhere I went felt any different from being there in 2008 or 2009 when the GFC was just getting started.

Holidaying there of course makes the place seem very cheap at current exchange rates...life is probably different.

It seems fairly certain unemployment will continue to rise although probably not much more.

If I was to go back, and we have talked about it, the idea of waiting to see how the whole euro thing pans out seems like a good one. Right now if I search for jobs in my field in London there are plenty and salaries look good...who knows, that might change?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:14 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

...Or you could wait.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts please.
IT I'm not sure about, but I keep in contact with people still working in the rail industry and it could get pretty horrendous back in the UK. People looking to get out all over the place, many coming here but West Africa and South America also have big demand for Civil Engineers.

However, have a home you can afford and a job, even through a depression by and large you'll be OK.

I wouldn't be rushing in to buying a house though, something HAS to give with unemployment rising and wages rising far slower than the cost of every day essentials. The UK housing market is either in for a short sharp shock or a Japanese stylee long drawn out decline.

Last edited by bingobob777; Jan 5th 2012 at 4:20 am.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:19 am
Just Joined

PortPhillipPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The Greeks could default as early as March and the shock waves will mean a few more UK banks fail or are nationalised. This is likely to result in a greater credit crunch, a run on savings and further devaluation of sterling. The aftermath has to be a weaker UK economy, higher unemployment and drops in house prices. I know that on a microeconomic level it doesn't mean that lifestyles change but I do think I'd wait 6 months to see how Europe unravels and how things settle.
Thats one of our conundrums though, if we head back we want to head back for summer, not during winter hence this year or next.

On a positive note for this year, we would be back for the Queens (gawd bless 'er) Jubilee & the olympics
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:30 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one of our conundrums though, if we head back we want to head back for summer, not during winter hence this year or next.

On a positive note for this year, we would be back for the Queens (gawd bless 'er) Jubilee & the olympics
Keep your savings in Australia whilst the crisis pans out but still go then. It would be a fag to miss out on the buzz of the Olympics.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got kids, don't do it. You'd have to be mad to raise children in the UK instead of Australia, especially in London.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
If you've got kids, don't do it. You'd have to be mad to raise children in the UK instead of Australia, especially in London.
Yeah, taking kids back to the UK is akin to child abuse.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yeah, taking kids back to the UK is akin to child abuse.
Nearly as bad as taking them to a godforsaken outpost like Perth
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nearly as bad as taking them to a godforsaken outpost like Perth
I'm glad my son won't grow up as a pom.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad my son won't grow up as a pom.
I am glad none of my family is South African....or Australian.

Think of the shame
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
I am glad none of my family is South African....or Australian.

Think of the shame
I'm glad they're not too G my Tory friend
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:34 am
Bitter and twisted

I'm glad they're not too G my Tory friend
....and one less South African in Britain can only be a good thing my aspiring (but not there yet) ocker mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.