Good book

Old May 28th 2009, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good book

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I confess to doing film adaption - book - in that order with some of these. Best chance of succeeding(!)

I'm not one for bleating about the accuracies of adaptions - I'm happy to judge both on their merits.

Speaking of which, would like to read 'The Reader'. Seen the movie, enjoyed it.
I often feel obliged to read them.. not sure what that says about me.. like reading ought to be some sort of work as opposed to play..

Has anyone read any self-help books?? (I call them the Bridget Jones books! LOL!).. when we were travelling I read some Robert Kiyosaki books "rich dad poor dad" "how to be an investor"... plus I have also read 7 habits of highly effective people.. and "don't sweat the small stuff"...

HAve to say that "don't sweat the small stuff" is pretty awesome.. it makes me feel quite calm when I read a chapter or 2, its the sort of book you dip in and dip out of ... not sure (again) what that says about me

Also listened to the audio book of "inside a millionaires mind" or something like that... that was pretty good.. and quite interesting.. made me really think about how we all think its all about being rich and buying expensive cars and armani suits when actually the rich usually go around clipping coupons! (obviously there is more to it than that, but you get my drift!)

OH bought "48 laws of power"... he started to let our son read it... my lad thought it was excellent! hmmmm... not sure if that was such a good idea in retrospect! We may end up regretting it!

Em x
Old May 28th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I still love the John Marsden books and they are for teenagers.........I like to think I am still one though!

Originally Posted by kporte
The Great and Secret show, stunning book.
I am actually reading New Moon at the mo and I don't care if it is a teenage book, Twilight was really good. Must be on a run at the minute as I recently read The last confession of Vlad, which was superb.
Old May 28th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Tim Winton an Aussie author is pretty good...

I am halway through Breath and I hear Dirt Music is good as well

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/tim-winton/
Old May 28th 2009, 11:01 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Dean Koontz is brilliant too - Lightening was excellent, as was Tick Tock.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I read this great fiction book a few months back, which for the life of me I cannot remember the name. I only came across it because some friendly fellow knocked on my door and proceeded to tell me about "the good book". He sold it so well that I thought I must read this.
I would describe it as Stanley Kubrickesque but set in the Roman times. If you ask me it was a bit of a rip off of The Life Of Brian.

It all started with this loose woman who was trying to persuade her husband that he must have slipped her a sneaky one when they were drunk one night. But he said this was impossible as he'd never done it before. So she got out of a potential divorce by convincing the gullible tw@t that it must have been god.
Anyway, talk about a snowball effect. Soon this lie/rumour starts spreading around town and this woman can't believe how many people have bought her story and the kid grows up believing he's some sort of messiah. To cut a long story short the poor victim in all this ends up snuffing it because of his mother's loose ways.
Sorry if I have spoiled it for any of you. Highly recommend it though!
Old May 29th 2009, 12:14 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie is excellent - thriller with great dark humour in it...

Making History by Stephen Fry is also a nice idea involving messing around with history and stopping Hitler being born..

Jeffery Deaver books are also very good, especially The Vanished Man and The Bone Collector..

James Patterson books, although not always original, are wonderful attention grabbers and fast paced - difficult to put down...

Most Stephen Kings are excellent with my personal favourites including IT, Geralds Game and the Green Mile.

Plenty more, but hey that'll do for a bit
Old May 29th 2009, 12:26 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie is excellent - thriller with great dark humour in it...

Making History by Stephen Fry is also a nice idea involving messing around with history and stopping Hitler being born..

Jeffery Deaver books are also very good, especially The Vanished Man and The Bone Collector..

James Patterson books, although not always original, are wonderful attention grabbers and fast paced - difficult to put down...

Most Stephen Kings are excellent with my personal favourites including IT, Geralds Game and the Green Mile.

Plenty more, but hey that'll do for a bit
I forgot about Gerald's Game - wow what a brilliant story, creepy though!
Old May 29th 2009, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I often feel obliged to read them.. not sure what that says about me.. like reading ought to be some sort of work as opposed to play..

Has anyone read any self-help books?? (I call them the Bridget Jones books! LOL!).. when we were travelling I read some Robert Kiyosaki books "rich dad poor dad" "how to be an investor"... plus I have also read 7 habits of highly effective people.. and "don't sweat the small stuff"...

Em x
The only issue with self-help *business* books is that they tend to be Americans who can't wait to share their stories with you. The stories always make you think : 'well good on you - you lucky bastard - if I did that in my world, everyone would laugh'. Or it is so obvious you know it already. You get the distinct impression that the story's outcome was all based on luck, and that it only came Rule/Example #23 once the author needed to fill his book.

The other thing that happens, is that armed with your new rule - you try it out - for example - on the airline. They brush you off, it just isn't the right day...

The orginal 'What they don't teach you at Harvard' which I enjoyed is now a book full of stories that everyone of the internet generation now knows.
Old May 29th 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The stories always make you think : 'well good on you - you lucky bastard - if I did that in my world, everyone would laugh'. Or it is so obvious you know it already.
Now ! I don't need that sort of spiritual negativity in my life.. your cynical attitude means that I now how to look up chapter 8 of "what men want" in order to think of how to cope ... pass the josh stick and the valium.......

Seriously, I hear what you are saying and yes, I have to agree with you.. although the Rich Dad Poor Dad book was an eye opener.. was more like a life story than advice.. and it certainly made me think twice about money and peoples attitudes towards it..

Em x

Last edited by emelems; May 29th 2009 at 4:42 am. Reason: missed out a word
Old May 29th 2009, 11:11 am

The Talisman by Stephen King/Peter Straub is another fab book!
Old May 29th 2009, 11:12 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
The Talisman by Stephen King/Peter Straub is another fab book!
Spot the dog goes to the market. It's a bit predictable in places but keeps you gripped

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; May 29th 2009 at 11:15 am.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Spot the dogs goes to the market. It's a bit predictable in places but keeps you gripped

I like Brum myself
Old May 29th 2009, 11:14 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isle
Hi
I have just read a fantastic book.
I was told to read Jodi Picoult My Sisters Keeper.
Wow what a book, brilliant, It is about Anna who has a sister called Kate who needs her Kidney, but Anna does not want to give it,,,,,, you have to read it now to read the brilliant ending.

Can anyone recommend another good one by Jodi.

Mrs Isle
Hi M,

Nineteen Minutes was quite good too. Read Change of Heart too but only so-so.

Just read a true story, Not Without You, absolutely brilliant!!!!!! X
Old May 29th 2009, 11:15 am

James Herbert, Rats, Lair and Domain trilogy, sick but brilliant
Old May 29th 2009, 11:23 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody know of any good true stories to read? X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.