Good book

Old May 16th 2009, 8:40 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good book

I love Stephen King.. Cell and Lisey's Story are fan-bloddy-tastic... tho my all time favourite of his is The Stand.. everyone should read it! Also I like Desperation and Needful Things.. I prob will stop there as I can wax lyrical about him all night!

I have recently read The Horse Whisperer.. now that is an excellent book (had seen the film, but the books is much better)...

Other recent reads have been chick-books.. read Lucy Sullivan got Married and Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keynes... very good!

Other recent reads were all the Jane Austin books (well, I had read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion and Mansfield Park before) but read Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Northhanger Abbey over here... I thoroughly recommend them... the stories have lasted so well for a reason, they are bloody good!

Am currently reading Jane Eyre (never read it, it was on my to do list for years) and am then am going to read Atonement.... will let you know what I think!

Em x
Old May 28th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by emelems
I love Stephen King.. Cell and Lisey's Story are fan-bloddy-tastic... tho my all time favourite of his is The Stand.. everyone should read it! Also I like Desperation and Needful Things.. I prob will stop there as I can wax lyrical about him all night!

I have recently read The Horse Whisperer.. now that is an excellent book (had seen the film, but the books is much better)...

Other recent reads have been chick-books.. read Lucy Sullivan got Married and Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keynes... very good!

Other recent reads were all the Jane Austin books (well, I had read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion and Mansfield Park before) but read Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Northhanger Abbey over here... I thoroughly recommend them... the stories have lasted so well for a reason, they are bloody good!

Am currently reading Jane Eyre (never read it, it was on my to do list for years) and am then am going to read Atonement.... will let you know what I think!

Em x
Hi
I have just read a fantastic book.
I was told to read Jodi Picoult My Sisters Keeper.
Wow what a book, brilliant, It is about Anna who has a sister called Kate who needs her Kidney, but Anna does not want to give it,,,,,, you have to read it now to read the brilliant ending.

Can anyone recommend another good one by Jodi.

Mrs Isle
Old May 28th 2009, 7:15 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Em x
Desperation and needful things were brilliant, as for Lisey's story - good story but the ending was a bit disappointing, still enjoyed it though.

Ever read any CLive Barker???
Old May 28th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Sparky Making will become famous soon enoughSparky Making will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by isle
Hi
I have just read a fantastic book.
I was told to read Jodi Picoult My Sisters Keeper.
Wow what a book, brilliant, It is about Anna who has a sister called Kate who needs her Kidney, but Anna does not want to give it,,,,,, you have to read it now to read the brilliant ending.

Can anyone recommend another good one by Jodi.

Mrs Isle
I loved this book, have read a couple of other books by Jodi but havn't found them as good.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:11 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Desperation and needful things were brilliant, as for Lisey's story - good story but the ending was a bit disappointing, still enjoyed it though.

The Great and Secret show, stunning book.
I am actually reading New Moon at the mo and I don't care if it is a teenage book, Twilight was really good. Must be on a run at the minute as I recently read The last confession of Vlad, which was superb.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I found an old childrens book 'Adventures of the Wishing Chair'

I had forgotten how nice it was to read a kids book, bringing alive your childhood memories.

Kids books - great for escapism.
Indeed they are/were

Originally Posted by Sparky Making
Memories! I used to love these books and The Magic Faraway Tree with Chinky the Pixie and Saucepan Man.
You wouldn't get away with Chinky now of course.

Moonface used to really irritate me. I felt like smacking him one. Must have been the testerone in a small boy.

Always remember a story where one of the boys finds a plane in one of the worlds at the top of the tree. He flew it by pressing buttons marked 'Up', 'Down' et cetera.

As an 8? year old, was I miffed - every boy knew that aeroplanes had a rudder and elevators etc linked, usually mechanically, by a gear stick and pedals/bar...

Originally Posted by carlap
Anybody know any Aussie authors worth reading.

I have been in the library and trying to find modern Aussie authors, especially those that write stories based 'locally' or in Aus.
Robbert Barratt. Story of a bogan who gets into a lot of adventures - some quite amusing - and meets a lot of women. Racy stuff. Mostly for men, and very, very, very light and trashy reading(!) I read some when I was backpacking.

Originally Posted by quercus
Ha ha I like the sound of the bed with wings!

I recently started reading a series of children's books called The Lone Pine, set in Shropshire. Another good Shropshire set is the Cadfael series, about a sailor who retires to a monastery as gardener, and becomes a detective.

I grew up on William, Biggles, and the Swallows and Amazons series.
Swallows and Amazons. When I started reading on the train last year, I sneaked a 1970s HB edition of Winter Holiday out of my bag with the dust jacket removed.

The series also came in handy ages ago, crossing the Atlantic, and more recently, down at Philip Island last year when myself and a mate of mine sailed his dinghy and almost capsized off the beach

"If not druffers, won't drown. If duffers, better off drowned."
Old May 28th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Don't you find that the way with most of Stephen King books? The end never seems to live up to the rest.. I thought the end of Needful things was pretty naff.. even The Stand was a bit of a letdown compared to the rest of the book.. I remember my first Stephen King (I am getting a bit nostalgic! LOL!) which was Christine.. I re-read it loads of times but still remember hating the end! The only one I really thought was excellent was Carrie.. the creepiness of that book has always stayed with me!

No.. havent read any Clive Barker.. am going to google it now.. have you any recommendations? My parents are always asking for birthday present ideas etc, so that would be good! Collecting books is a bit of a habit of mine! LOL!

Em x
Old May 28th 2009, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you find that the way with most of Stephen King books? The end never seems to live up to the rest.. I thought the end of Needful things was pretty naff.. even The Stand was a bit of a letdown compared to the rest of the book.. I remember my first Stephen King (I am getting a bit nostalgic! LOL!) which was Christine.. I re-read it loads of times but still remember hating the end! The only one I really thought was excellent was Carrie.. the creepiness of that book has always stayed with me!

No.. havent read any Clive Barker.. am going to google it now.. have you any recommendations? My parents are always asking for birthday present ideas etc, so that would be good! Collecting books is a bit of a habit of mine! LOL!

Em x
I find that King was a bit of a phase, I read quite a few when I was in my teens and now I find they are all rather creepy and a bit sad. If that makes sense!
Old May 28th 2009, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Just thought I would mention that another book that I have discovered and bought about 3 times so far (!) is "Wombat Stew" by Marci K Vaughan and Pamela Lofts! Keep buying it and sending it to my neices and nephews! Have just bought the Limited Edition one (hardback this time, smaller size) to send to my best friends son for his 2nd birthday..

Em x
Old May 28th 2009, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I find that King was a bit of a phase, I read quite a few when I was in my teens and now I find they are all rather creepy and a bit sad. If that makes sense!
oh yes, Mr S King is definately a bit screwed up in the head! LOL!

Em x
Old May 28th 2009, 11:58 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes, Mr S King is definately a bit screwed up in the head! LOL!

Em x
Not as screwed up as Clive Barker

Try the Great and Secret Show, Weaveworld & Coldheart Canyon

All excellent.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by kporte
The Great and Secret show, stunning book.
I am actually reading New Moon at the mo and I don't care if it is a teenage book, Twilight was really good. Must be on a run at the minute as I recently read The last confession of Vlad, which was superb.
What about those LIX though
Old May 28th 2009, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Not as screwed up as Clive Barker

Try the Great and Secret Show, Weaveworld & Coldheart Canyon

All excellent.
Going to the library on Saturday and going to try and get one of the books out on loan.. the Jane Eyre I am reading is coming on too slow.. probably because I know the story too well, keep speed reading it and trying to get to the bit where the mad wife sets fire to Mr Rochester.. not doing too well with it.. perhaps it is just one of the books that should remain in its place on the bookshelf whilst I watch TV adapations.. therefore allowing me to digest the story in about an hour and a half!

Em x
Old May 28th 2009, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

What about those LIX though
Old May 28th 2009, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

perhaps it is just one of the books that should remain in its place on the bookshelf whilst I watch TV adapations.. therefore allowing me to digest the story in about an hour and a half!

Em x
I confess to doing film adaption - book - in that order with some of these. Best chance of succeeding(!)

I'm not one for bleating about the accuracies of adaptions - I'm happy to judge both on their merits.

Speaking of which, would like to read 'The Reader'. Seen the movie, enjoyed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.