Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Foreign Students won't go home.

Foreign Students won't go home.

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:27 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Foreign Students won't go home.

Tens of thousands of foreign students may stay in Australia illegally when they finish their studies saying they are angry they paid thousands of dollars for their courses and not given Permanent Residency. l thought they paid their money for their degrees which they got or was PR their only motivation.
Many plan to put in claims as being refuguees, students one day refuguess the next.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1225928627942

http://www.news.com.au/business/reje...-1225928660845

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 23rd 2010 at 8:16 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Students won't go home.

I don't really see that getting PR as their only motivation is that wrong. I would do it on that basis. However, I would accept that I would be taking the risk that the immigrations requirements would not change till I had finished my degree.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:59 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Tens of thousands of foreign students may stay in Australia illegally when they finish their studies saying they are angry they paid thousands of dollars for their courses and not given Permanent Residency. l thought they paid their money for their degrees which they got or was PR their only motivation.
Many plan to put in claims as being refuguees, students one day refuguess the next.
I think it was crap of the government to close the route in the manner they have. Most people could have found substantively cheaper education elsewhere around the globe. They came to Australia, quite correctly, encouraged to apply for PR and fill skill shortages on graduation.

To change that suddenly, purely as an election pandering stunt, not only is quite shameful as a policy but serves to undermine one of Australia's leading industries as education service providers to overseas students.

I'm not sure why any student would actually bother to study here otherwise. It's very expensive both in terms of fees and living costs.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:10 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RenShen
I don't really see that getting PR as their only motivation is that wrong. I would do it on that basis. However, I would accept that I would be taking the risk that the immigrations requirements would not change till I had finished my degree.
Yes but now many students plan to claim refuguee status, do you think they are real refuguees?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:43 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but now many students plan to claim refuguee status, do you think they are real refuguees?
Are you?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know this? Have you asked them or is it a scare monger report?

And, while I am in the mood for asking questions..... I notice that a lot of your threads are around "foreign" people and set in quite a negative light. I am foreign (to Australia) so don't really feel that I am in a position to point the finger at other people who want to move here too. Whats your background? I would be interested to know what informs your views and standpoint.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:00 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1225928627942

http://www.news.com.au/business/reje...-1225928660845
From the article :
n February, then immigration minister Chris Evans announced new rules to make it much harder for would-be migrants to parlay low-value Australian diplomas and degrees into permanent residency.

The busiest fields, in what became a multi-billion-dollar trade, have been hairdressing, commercial cookery and business.

There were a *lot* of threads on here 2-3yrs ago about people coming over to Australia from uk after getting haidressing qualifications just to get over here with the express intention of getting a visa.

I dont blame these students - its a bloody rort by the colleges making money leveraging the fact people want residency and selling crappy education like hairdressing. Who the hell would travel to australia to get Hairdressing training otherwise, no country in the world has the propensity for mullets and rat-tails that Australia is so proud to display.

This is very wrong indeed both of the universities involved, (although Icall them that loosely) and the govt for doing it like this - they should have put a 5 year cycle on it phasing it out so that people can be aware its closing down.

These people are not refugees - they want to come here, they paid money legally on a pathway that should have in their eyes improved their worthiness to the country that would lead to an improved chance for citizenship, and are at least trained in something. Even if it is hte noble art of mullet making. Its no different to a pom taking hairdressing in UK just to get a visa.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
How do you know this? Have you asked them or is it a scare monger report?

And, while I am in the mood for asking questions..... I notice that a lot of your threads are around "foreign" people and set in quite a negative light. I am foreign (to Australia) so don't really feel that I am in a position to point the finger at other people who want to move here too. Whats your background? I would be interested to know what informs your views and standpoint.
I've got a theory about ol' Mohogony...

I reckon he's had a few holidays in Oz, fell in love with the place, wants to move over but doesn't qualify for a visa... now he's spending his days bitter and twisted about anyone who can be in Australia, whether it's legally or illegally...
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:18 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR

I reckon he's had a few holidays in Oz, fell in love with the place, wants to move over but doesn't qualify for a visa... now he's spending his days bitter and twisted about anyone who can be in Australia, whether it's legally or illegally...
I reckon he's a 12 year old kid
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:19 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I have a theory that Mohogony has in fact never been outside of Australia - certainly doesn't seem to know much about most of the foreign lands they seem to comment on, the UK included.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I have a theory that Mohogony has in fact never been outside of Australia - certainly doesn't seem to know much about most of the foreign lands they seem to comment on, the UK included.
I still reckon he is Indian
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:24 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
12 yr old indian
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I reckon he's a 12 year old kid
Do 12 year olds read the Daily Mail? How depressing for them. When I was 12 I read Sugar and Just 17!

Originally Posted by bcworld
Perhaps. Maybe he lives a very insulur life with no concept of the big wide world and certainly doesn't come into contact with any of those nasty Muslims and Asians
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I used to think he was Indian... but I don't know why...
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:37 pm
ah-beng

I used to think he was Indian... but I don't know why...
I think the english used is clearly native speaker, but slightly wrong in places, not enough to suggest a foreign language. Im sticking with the 12yr old hypothesis - perhaps 14 .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.