Drink Driving

Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I wonder how many people have been killed as a result of push bike accidents (not involving cars)?
Be interesting. There is a site somewhere which gives the statistics on premature deaths because of things like falling out of bed, and choking while picking your nose etc - but I can't find it.

I'm sure ABCD knows where it is <g>.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:01 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Be interesting. There is a site somewhere which gives the statistics on premature deaths because of things like falling out of bed, and choking while picking your nose etc - but I can't find it.

I'm sure ABCD knows where it is <g>.
I watched an episode of Sleek Geeks with Adam Spencer, that showed you are more likely to be killed by a vending machine than a shark!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I wonder how many people have been killed as a result of push bike accidents (not involving cars)?
There was a recent blitz on fining cyclists in the Melbourne CBD. I'm sure that it was in response to a whole TWO people being knocked over and killed by cyclists in the past decade.

OK, it's bad that 2 people needlessly died, but surely the police-power could have had more of an effect on reducing deaths by hassling people driving dangerously
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

I watched an episode of Sleek Geeks with Adam Spencer, that showed you are more likely to be killed by a vending machine than a shark!
Yeah those things can be vicious. I broke a nail on a vending maching once. Never had a scratch from a shark.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:27 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
There was a recent blitz on fining cyclists in the Melbourne CBD. I'm sure that it was in response to a whole TWO people being knocked over and killed by cyclists in the past decade.

OK, it's bad that 2 people needlessly died, but surely the police-power could have had more of an effect on reducing deaths by hassling people driving dangerously
Does seem silly. How many people have died in road accidents in the past decade?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:42 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
If for example the law was changed to say that if you are caught "dealing" no matter what, its a minimum of 15 yrs jail time, no if's, buts or maybe's. Do you think you'd see a reduction in drug use ???
I don't know the answer to that...Th bottom line is, sentences need to be harsh and brutal...lets be honest, the current system / sentences certainly ain't.
No - such a sentence would do bugger all useful for reducing drugs use and frankly your idea is terrible. It would initially involve locking large numbers of people up for almost twice as long as the average manslaughter sentence (8 years in NSW) at huge expense ($64,000 per annum per inmate), and then juries would refuse to convict, as they always do when the penalty is too harsh - go back to the 18th Century.

You're suggesting this as if it were a great idea that was working fine until namby-pamby social workers and massage therapists put a stop to it and then things started to fall apart. That's 100% backwards. Harsh and brutal sentences for theft did sod all to reduce property and other petty crime in 18th and 19th Century England. Clue: this is why Australia existed as a British colony. Never heard the expression "'might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.'"?

Harsh and brutal sentences for alcohol manufacture and distribution didn't do much to support prohibition in the US, although it did make JFK's dad very rich.

Harsh and brutal sentences for (alcohol and other) drugs distribution and consumption i.e. death don't do much to stop its use in Saudi Arabia and Iran - just ask our friends on the other boards there.

Harsh and brutal sentences for drug use and distribution in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia i.e. death don't do much to stop...do we need to continue?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:55 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I keep buying the elephant repellent!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:05 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol

Zero tolerance on any road law might make people feel good and that "something is being done", but the reduction in deaths might be very small.

Whether we like it or not, alcohol is a permanent part of our society. Responsible use of it is one thing, but making huge changes to the social scene without considering the unintended consequences is never wise.
I must admit I'm very sensitive on this one, for two reasons:

1. My brother was killed in a car crash when he was 20 years old. I don't know if alcohol was involved but I do know the pain of loss. How can you in all conscience imply there is no real justification for zero tolerance because ''reduction in deaths might be very small''? Every single life is precious. If zero tolerance on alcohol & driving saves even just one life, isn't that reason enough?

2. I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in 7 years. Sometimes (albeit very rarely nowadays) I'd very much love a cold Budweiser, but I can't have one. You folk that go nuts about zero tolerance talk such sh*t, worrying about how it will make ''huge changes to the social scene'' - you can have a drink any day you like! Would just one night off so you don't perhaps kill someone be such a hardship?

Am sure I'll be winding people up with what I just wrote but like I said, this topic is a very sensitive one for me and am just being very honest in order to try and drive home the point. Imo, zero tolerance on alcohol and driving makes perfect sense.

(Incidentally I have no problem with folks drinking alcohol in general at all - my husband drinks, so do all my friends, and I am more than happy down the pub, so please don't anyone start bashing the killjoy tee-totaller! )
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PamE

1. My brother was killed in a car crash when he was 20 years old. I don't know if alcohol was involved but I do know the pain of loss. How can you in all conscience imply there is no real justification for zero tolerance because ''reduction in deaths might be very small''? Every single life is precious. If zero tolerance on alcohol & driving saves even just one life, isn't that reason enough?

2. I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in 7 years. Sometimes (albeit very rarely nowadays) I'd very much love a cold Budweiser, but I can't have one. You folk that go nuts about zero tolerance talk such sh*t, worrying about how it will make ''huge changes to the social scene'' - you can have a drink any day you like! Would just one night off so you don't perhaps kill someone be such a hardship?

Am sure I'll be winding people up with what I just wrote but like I said, this topic is a very sensitive one for me and am just being very honest in order to try and drive home the point. Imo, zero tolerance on alcohol and driving makes perfect sense.

(Incidentally I have no problem with folks drinking alcohol in general at all - my husband drinks, so do all my friends, and I am more than happy down the pub, so please don't anyone start bashing the killjoy tee-totaller! )
I doubt anyone would or should start bashing you, full stop.. I think that your honesty and your strength is a credit to you..

Em x
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I doubt anyone would or should start bashing you, full stop.. I think that your honesty and your strength is a credit to you..

Em x
Here Here.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DadAgain
How about this as a long term proposal:

All new cars/bikes to be fitted with breathalyser dependent keys.

This has (ultimately) a greater effect than any modification of the limit.

As far as I can see most drink drive offences are caused by peoples inability to judge the lnegth of time to sober-up. The reality is that at 0.05 there is virtually no ill-effects due to alcohol. Its far to easy to have a night out and be over the limit WITHOUT KNOWING in the morning.

By giving everyone breathalysier keys you remove the unknowing drunk driver, you reduce the need to run expensive RBT operations, you completely remove the social defence of "I had no idea" - and make it very hard to drunk drive by accident.

Furthermore the 'determined' drunk driver might find a way of bypassing this technology. In which case they dont even need to be drunk to fall foul of the law since any speeding infringement might result in an inpromptu vehicle inspection and a non-compliance notice for their illegally modified vehicle.

The downside of this plan? In QLD it'd take about 30 years before all the old clapped out bangers have been replaced by newer vehicles with the technology.

Cost of such a key? Surely it cant be much - a breathalyser keyring can be purchased for around $100 so getting a more accurate device and intergrating it into the ignitiion system shouldnt be too hard compared with the cost of a vehicle.
That is all well and good but who would do the "calibration" of the breathalysier keys. All breath analysis machines used by the Police are calibrated every 6 months. These machines are very expensive. The machine to do the calibration is very costly also. Calibration takes time. The person conducting the calibration has to be a technician (not mechanic). Money Money Money. The end user will always pay.
Not only that, it is not an offence to drive a vehicle on private property whilst under the influence just as it is not illegal to speed or drive an unroadworthy vehicle.

Barney

Last edited by POW148; Oct 15th 2009 at 5:44 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:36 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE

A very well written and thought provoking post.

It annoys me when some people think that they have the right to adapt the laws of the road to suit themselves.

They may freely admit to speeding, saying that speed is ok if you can control it and even comparing it to Formula One car racing - (they are not even driving on a race track but hey ho!)

They dont agree with the drink and driving policies and use their 'own limit' as a guideline, perhaps thinking that 3 or 4 glasses of wine and they are still in control, despite the limit being there for a reason, they know better or at least think they do.

Basically they adapt the laws to suit their own lifestyle, heaven forbid they go out and stick well within the limit or not even drink at all.

Its like justifying smoking in front of your children because they breathe in car fumes anyway so what is a bit of fag smoke?

As you say Pam, one life lost through a drink/drive incident is one too many and I think that anyone that tries to justify their drink/driving would sing a different tune if it was their child/wife/husband/parent who was that one person killed.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Oct 16th 2009 at 2:30 am.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:51 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

i always get confused between the amount before you drive and the amount you can bring through customs,endless chats with the old bill.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:33 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by POW148
That is all well and good but who would do the "calibration" of the breathalysier keys. All breath analysis machines used by the Police are calibrated every 6 months. These machines are very expensive. The machine to do the calibration is very costly also. Calibration takes time. The person conducting the calibration has to be a technician (not mechanic). Money Money Money. The end user will always pay.
Not only that, it is not an offence to drive a vehicle on private property whilst under the influence just as it is not illegal to speed or drive an unroadworthy vehicle.

Barney
So dont re-calibrate them.... Police untis HAVE to be re-calibrated and certified so their readings are valid legal tools. I bet police speed radars are recalibrated frequently too - but how often do you re-calibrate your cars speedo? A population-wide 'breathalyser key' wouldnt need to be so accurate. The responsibility for remaining sober still lies with the individual - if their key falsely allows them to drive then they are still accountable. If the key prevents them from driving when they should be permitted then let it be down to the individual to pay for a re-calibration. (Much like re-gassing air-con in an old car if you feel its not getting you cold enough).

I dont know how accurate consumer level devices are - but US$10 gets you a breathaliser from eBay... US$60 gets a better one... I'd bet that kind of cost added to car-keys wouldnt break the bank. (ok integrating it into an ignition system requires a bit of enginerring - but its totaly possible)
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DadAgain
So dont re-calibrate them.... Police untis HAVE to be re-calibrated and certified so their readings are valid legal tools. I bet police speed radars are recalibrated frequently too - but how often do you re-calibrate your cars speedo? A population-wide 'breathalyser key' wouldnt need to be so accurate. The responsibility for remaining sober still lies with the individual - if their key falsely allows them to drive then they are still accountable. If the key prevents them from driving when they should be permitted then let it be down to the individual to pay for a re-calibration. (Much like re-gassing air-con in an old car if you feel its not getting you cold enough).

I dont know how accurate consumer level devices are - but US$10 gets you a breathaliser from eBay... US$60 gets a better one... I'd bet that kind of cost added to car-keys wouldnt break the bank. (ok integrating it into an ignition system requires a bit of enginerring - but its totaly possible)
I don't think they need to be intregrated, i think the regular one's that you talk about need to be advertised better. I never knew about them. If you had one you would only use it a few times anyway because most people would get to know how many drinks they could have. I'm seriously thinking of getting one, not so that i can drive as close to the limit as possible but to see how high i can go on it when i'm safely at home. i'm sure lots of people will be trying that....could be a great game for christmas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.