Drink Driving

Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drink Driving

I don't actually think that it has anything to do with your employer.. however, I have no problem with work places enforcing that policy because there is no room for drunken drivers in our society, end of...

Saying that, wouldnt you know when you took the job? IE its your choice to work for someone who has that policy... ? and of course, be it on your own head (rather than someone elses life) if you choose to drive home pissed and therefore lose your job..

Em x
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:58 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of times I have heard the same sob story 'Oh but transport is crap, I have no choice but to drink drive' and even the little gem 'It is OK if you can control it'

Mr PP saw a car on the opposite side of the road with 4 girls in it, they were obviously intoxicated, the car was swerving all over the road and nearly mounted the grass verge with the driver waving a can of beer out of the window.

The penalties here are not harsh enough for D/D.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
The amount of times I have heard the same sob story 'Oh but transport is crap, I have no choice but to drink drive' and even the little gem 'It is OK if you can control it'

Mr PP saw a car on the opposite side of the road with 4 girls in it, they were obviously intoxicated, the car was swerving all over the road and nearly mounted the grass verge with the driver waving a can of beer out of the window.

The penalties here are not harsh enough for D/D.
I saw 4 young guys (including the driver) drinking beer in the car parked at the shopping centre parking lot, middle of the afternoon. I've never seen that back in Canada...guess I've been living a sheltered life or all our drunks wait until nightfall to swill beer in the car in public.

As for the drunk driving/sacked issue...I don't see what the big debate is. If you know that 1) you NEED a licence to be able to work and that it is a requirement of your job/insurance/conditions of employment and 2) you CHOOSE to drink and drive anyway (no one pouring the beer down your throat, no one holding a weapon to your head to tell you to drive), then 3) you have to live with the consequences of your actions as we all do. Why be crying about the repercussions if they were your choices that led to them? The drunk driving here is just shocking. What, people have never heard of designated drivers? Taxis?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of drink driving....the Herald Sun ran a story at the weekend regarding lowering the limit to 0.02...which effectively means you might as well make it 0.00.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/cal...-1225785344271

That would be less than half the current limit...and 4 times the UK limit.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:22 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Talking of drink driving....the Herald Sun ran a story at the weekend regarding lowering the limit to 0.02...which effectively means you might as well make it 0.00.

See that's a little piontless as I think that would mean replacing ever single breathalsyer in the states arsenal.

The figure quoted
New figures reveal 39 Victorians have been killed in accidents involving drivers with blood alcohol levels under .05 in the past five years.

Those drivers could have all been wearing shades, it does not mean a lowering of the limit is needed. The figure does not have any correlation unless its states that those drivers all made errors of judgement caused by decreased responses.

Besides if you are below .05 chances are the radio in the car is affecting you as much.

However if you are ever in any doubt the best advice is still to not drink at all when you are driving or intending to.

Does anyone know how long after 4 strandard beers on a standard size male drunk between 21.00 and 23.00 would get them to 00.02. So at what time under this proposal could they drive legally?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

I meant to say 1/4 of the UK limit.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:42 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

How about this as a long term proposal:

All new cars/bikes to be fitted with breathalyser dependent keys.

This has (ultimately) a greater effect than any modification of the limit.

As far as I can see most drink drive offences are caused by peoples inability to judge the lnegth of time to sober-up. The reality is that at 0.05 there is virtually no ill-effects due to alcohol. Its far to easy to have a night out and be over the limit WITHOUT KNOWING in the morning.

By giving everyone breathalysier keys you remove the unknowing drunk driver, you reduce the need to run expensive RBT operations, you completely remove the social defence of "I had no idea" - and make it very hard to drunk drive by accident.

Furthermore the 'determined' drunk driver might find a way of bypassing this technology. In which case they dont even need to be drunk to fall foul of the law since any speeding infringement might result in an inpromptu vehicle inspection and a non-compliance notice for their illegally modified vehicle.

The downside of this plan? In QLD it'd take about 30 years before all the old clapped out bangers have been replaced by newer vehicles with the technology.

Cost of such a key? Surely it cant be much - a breathalyser keyring can be purchased for around $100 so getting a more accurate device and intergrating it into the ignitiion system shouldnt be too hard compared with the cost of a vehicle.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Furthermore the 'determined' drunk driver might find a way of bypassing this technology.
...like getting someone else to breathe into it. Or squeezing a bag of fresh air into the mouthpiece! I think someone needs to be there to administer a breath test to ensure it's done properly.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:39 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I saw 4 young guys (including the driver) drinking beer in the car parked at the shopping centre parking lot, middle of the afternoon. I've never seen that back in Canada...guess I've been living a sheltered life or all our drunks wait until nightfall to swill beer in the car in public.

As for the drunk driving/sacked issue...I don't see what the big debate is. If you know that 1) you NEED a licence to be able to work and that it is a requirement of your job/insurance/conditions of employment and 2) you CHOOSE to drink and drive anyway (no one pouring the beer down your throat, no one holding a weapon to your head to tell you to drive), then 3) you have to live with the consequences of your actions as we all do. Why be crying about the repercussions if they were your choices that led to them? The drunk driving here is just shocking. What, people have never heard of designated drivers? Taxis?
It makes me sick, there is always an excuse - oh to be so needy with alcohol that you have to drink/drive and you couldnt possibly go out and either designate the driving or just dont drink.

My neighbour always does it - even his girlfriend told me 'he is terrible for it'.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

There are excuses for drink driving - being drunk is one of them. I really dont see how it will ever be prevented but I dont think a drink driving charge should cost you your job as you could always catch the bus.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

you should if your name is Frank Farina, it is the 2nd time you've been caught, you got caught at SEVEN in the MORNING and well, you are manager of Brisbane Roar....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/br...-1225786469344
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
you should if your name is Frank Farina, it is the 2nd time you've been caught, you got caught at SEVEN in the MORNING and well, you are manager of Brisbane Roar....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/br...-1225786469344
Hes rich so thats different. Bit like the lawyer who hit a cyclist and dragged his body for hundreds of metres.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Your employers insurance covers you when youre on your way to or from work, so yup you could be sacked
Are you sure about this? Never heard of that before.

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I think there is a big difference between drink driving and speeding.
But a huge similarity also. They are both serious driving offences.

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
You must be completely retarded if you drink and drive.

Zero tolerance..thats whats needed. If ya get caught you lose ur licence for good, no exceptions. Same goes for excessive speeding.
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I think drink driving is very stupid but unless having a driving licence is a requirement of the job or the offence itself took place somehow in a work context, no, I don't think someone should be sacked.

It's not my employer's business what I do outside working hours if it doesn't affect my work, and it doesn't help anyone to have another unemployed person on the streets. If the fine/imprisonment would be inadequate without the person losing their job, then it should have been tougher in the first place.

I don't think "being in the public eye" is enough to justify being sacked either.

Where does this question come from?
Do you read the Australian news papers? Frank Farina from Brisbane Roar & Ash Bradnam fron Nova 106.9

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
This isn't Harriet Harman in disguise is it?
No

Glad to stir up a hornets nest on this one though.
Let's assume then that you should be sacked for drink driving. So you should also be sacked for talking on your mobile phone while driving without a hands free kit. Isn't that supposed to be more distracting?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee_h

Glad to stir up a hornets nest on this one though.
Let's assume then that you should be sacked for drink driving. So you should also be sacked for talking on your mobile phone while driving without a hands free kit. Isn't that supposed to be more distracting?
Following your train of thought . . . should it therefore also be a sackable offence to be caught . . . because after all, this is about getting caught . . . being in receipt of fellatio whilst in charge of a motor vehicle? I would assume that one, if not several, rules of the road were being broken?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spartacus
Following your train of thought . . . should it therefore also be a sackable offence to be caught . . . because after all, this is about getting caught . . . being in receipt of fellatio whilst in charge of a motor vehicle? I would assume that one, if not several, rules of the road were being broken?
I see where you're coming from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.