Drink Driving

Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving

I think a complete ban on alcohol when driving would actually make things easier and everyone would know where they stand. There's then no question of "I thought I would be OK" or "I only had 2". The problem, certainly in the UK, is that measures of wine are so large now that what used to be one is now much more (and yes I know a pint is still the same before anyone says anything!)
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I think a complete ban on alcohol when driving would actually make things easier and everyone would know where they stand. There's then no question of "I thought I would be OK" or "I only had 2". The problem, certainly in the UK, is that measures of wine are so large now that what used to be one is now much more (and yes I know a pint is still the same before anyone says anything!)
Yep, I agree but I think that a lot of revenue depends on that little grey area that says, "Im not pissed, Ive only had two". Zero tolerance is the way.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:46 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I also think a zero limit is perfectly fine. If anything, getting "over-technical" with the numbers and unduly emphasising alcohol burnoff rates and stuff just encourages people to delude themself into thinking "oh, well, I've had six schooners but it's been three hours, and I had a sandwich, and I'm a big guy, and..." when the point should be that boozing to any degree negatively affects driving skill.
Originally Posted by DadAgain
As far as I can see most drink drive offences are caused by peoples inability to judge the lnegth of time to sober-up.
I think I'm speculating the same as you are, but I doubt that's true - although it might be what they tell everyone afterward. I suspect most drinkdrivers don't know what the limit is in practical terms or just don't care because they (like everyone else) think they're a good driver even when they've had a couple of drinks.

Originally Posted by lee_h
Do you read the Australian news papers? Frank Farina from Brisbane Roar & Ash Bradnam fron Nova 106.9
I'm afraid I only read the front half of the quality Sydney newspapers so I still have no idea who these people are!

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Oct 13th 2009 at 8:50 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Isnt it all about time though? I was told about someone who was clocked over the limit after having a skinful the night before and was breathalised in the morning whilst driving to work..

Em x
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I realise I'll be flamed for this, but I get fed up when people talk about drink driving and "being pissed".

Yes, any amount of alcohol in the system has an effect on judgement and reflexes. But in my experience the people who drive when they are dangerous are the same ones who drive dangerously anyway - they are not capable of behaving in a responsible way sober or drunk.

In Australia as well as the UK it seems to be a legitimate excuse for any misdemeanour to say that someone has had a skinfull, as if that makes it somehow OK.

I do think there's a difference between having a couple of glasses of wine over a meal and going on the town all evening aand behaving like a total prat.

Hard hat on.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I realise I'll be flamed for this, but I get fed up when people talk about drink driving and "being pissed".

Yes, any amount of alcohol in the system has an effect on judgement and reflexes. But in my experience the people who drive when they are dangerous are the same ones who drive dangerously anyway - they are not capable of behaving in a responsible way sober or drunk.

In Australia as well as the UK it seems to be a legitimate excuse for any misdemeanour to say that someone has had a skinfull, as if that makes it somehow OK.

I do think there's a difference between having a couple of glasses of wine over a meal and going on the town all evening aand behaving like a total prat.

Hard hat on.
Persobnally, Ive nearly been cleaned up by elderly male drivers more times than I care to recall. They were probably sober. If youre driving down the road ancd get some pillock cut you off, how do you know if theyre pissed? Is it more comforting to know they were pissed or just ****heads?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wol;8015134]
Yes, any amount of alcohol in the system has an effect on judgement and reflexes. QUOTE]

And for that reason alone, there should be a zero tolerance.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Isnt it all about time though? I was told about someone who was clocked over the limit after having a skinful the night before and was breathalised in the morning whilst driving to work..

Em x
Frank Farina was caught in the morning...I think
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;8015156]
Originally Posted by Wol
Yes, any amount of alcohol in the system has an effect on judgement and reflexes. QUOTE]

The big problem with zero tolerance is that if you have an alcohol based chocolate, some medicines and I believe even certain mouthwashes ect. It can give a reading on a breath test.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Professional Princess;8015156]
Originally Posted by Wol

Not in any way trying to say that one thing is worse / better than another, but when you look around any day and see drivers negotiating roundabouts with a cigarette in one had and a phone under the ear, P platers with little or zero skill racing all over the road and an almost total lack of road sense being displayed I have to say it all comes down to the same thing - lack of responsibility.

I think that a total ban on *any* drink would have very little effect on the very people who are the largest part of the problem. Let alone the numbers of drivers under the influence of illegal substances which, according to some studies, are remarkably high.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Wol;8015243]
Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Not in any way trying to say that one thing is worse / better than another, but when you look around any day and see drivers negotiating roundabouts with a cigarette in one had and a phone under the ear, P platers with little or zero skill racing all over the road and an almost total lack of road sense being displayed I have to say it all comes down to the same thing - lack of responsibility.

I think that a total ban on *any* drink would have very little effect on the very people who are the largest part of the problem. Let alone the numbers of drivers under the influence of illegal substances which, according to some studies, are remarkably high.
I know what youre saying but surely everyone should recognise that accidents will happen regardless. Laying restrictions on everyones behaviour behind the wheel may help but with the amount of cars on the road at any one time mean that I dont know is it mathematical probability that an accident should happen?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

I see idiots driving around every day and they will continue to do so until they are caught. The trouble is that there are not enough police on the roads to enforce the rules and therefore they get away with it. I'm on the road every day and rarely do i see police.

Two motorbike police for every suburb should fix it. The revenue raised from tickets would easily pay for them. Police hiding behind a tree with a speed gun doesn't catch people texting, talking on the phone, jumping the lights,not stopping at stop signs,tailgating,blocking intersections etc etc.

I'm on my hobby horse now.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Your employers insurance covers you when youre on your way to or from work, so yup you could be sacked
that statement is not quite true, Little Johnny Howard stopped that one for all public servants. We are now not covered by workers comp on the way to or from work.

Barney
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:16 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
that statement is not quite true, Little Johnny Howard stopped that one for all public servants. We are now not covered by workers comp on the way to or from work.

Barney
Listen if zero tolerance introduced for D/D, Talking on the phone, etc etc the dickheads who do it and are caught deserve to be banned for life, there is no excuse.

How much does a hands free kit cost ?? Better still turn the friggin thing off in the car.

If you can't show enough self restraint / responsibility not to get behind the wheel when you've had a few, then how the hell can you be trusted to be in control of a very dangerous piece of equipment.

They deserve all they get, unfortunately that won't stop all the pain and heartache inflicted on others by these irresponsible morons.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:15 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Listen if zero tolerance introduced for D/D, Talking on the phone, etc etc the dickheads who do it and are caught deserve to be banned for life, there is no excuse.

How much does a hands free kit cost ?? Better still turn the friggin thing off in the car.

If you can't show enough self restraint / responsibility not to get behind the wheel when you've had a few, then how the hell can you be trusted to be in control of a very dangerous piece of equipment.

They deserve all they get, unfortunately that won't stop all the pain and heartache inflicted on others by these irresponsible morons.
Chuck the phone in the boot of the car.. I do that each journey (handbag straight into the boot)... you can hear it ring, but there is not a lot you can do about answering it..

Mind you, I got into this habit when I used to have to drive through a rather dodgy part of Birmingham whilst on the way to Edgbaston where i worked for a few years.. 2 rules: handbag in the boot and doors locked when stopping at the traffic lights!

Em x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.