Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dont go into the (spot)light

Dont go into the (spot)light

Old Nov 12th 2011, 12:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont go into the (spot)light

Originally Posted by General Tojo
Are we talking about presents here? Do you ever sell the finished article, need an overseas agent?
People ask me the same thing. When I tell them how much it would cost in materials and my labour they generally change their minds.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Yup... Believe it or not I'm hand quilting a chrimbo pressie for MIL.... A Quilts Of Valour quilt.... She's the president of e Raydon Airfield Museum or summit, owns her own willies jeep... Goes to War n Peace every year and spends two weeks living in WWll....

Reason I APPEAR to be putting so much time and effort into a present for MIL when I loathe her???

hand quilting doesnt cost me electricity so I'm spending less on her

And nope, I don't sell quilts... They are gifts and family use only... Coz a, My quilts arent good enough to sell and b, you couldnt PAY me enough.... Honestly, if anyone had any idea how much time goes into one they wouldnt ask

But when people do ask I always say "nope but I'll teach you to make your own" you'd be surprised at how many people have taken me up on that offer!!!
I would love one of your quilts and would happily pay you for one.

When I went round your house the other week, I am still laughing at you hidden away in your room surrounded by fabrics, looking almost guilty when Mr PP and I saw you, you looked as though you had been caught pinching chocolate bars.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:07 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to learn to quilt ... one day I will.

I've never really done much on the creative side but I always think I have it in me to do it. But it's probably like a lot of people think they can write and then if/when they try, they find out they can't! I can knit, but that's about it. I've made a couple of latch hook rugs in the past, my Nana used to do that when I was young and taught me so I could repair our big rug that she made as our dog kept chewing a hole in it. Spotlight up here never have any nice kits though, they're always really drab colours and I like things bright and colourful.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag

I've never really done much on the creative side but I always think I have it in me to do it. But it's probably like a lot of people think they can write and then if/when they try, they find out they can't! I can knit, but that's about it. I've made a couple of latch hook rugs in the past, my Nana used to do that when I was young and taught me so I could repair our big rug that she made as our dog kept chewing a hole in it. Spotlight up here never have any nice kits though, they're always really drab colours and I like things bright and colourful.
Have a look at Mary Maxim http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/...ry_10001_10054 Whenever I get to Canada I always take my mom & sister on a day trip to stock up. Not sure if they deliver to Australia, but if you have a connection in the US or Canada they could get delivery and send on to you.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag

anyone who can sew a reasonably straight line can quilt.... I start people off on a double carpenters star... they are easy to cut, easy to sew and look dead impressive when its finished, providing you use good contrasting fabrics and a background that makes the star pop.... google the pattern.... I often get asked why I dont start beginners on a single carpenters star... its because using 6 inch blocks makes a bed sized quilt and that is what gets them hooked... if your first quilt is a placemat or a wall hanging its like... thats nice but I'll never be able to make a bed sized one... start them off on the bed size... same amount of work involved, just bigger block size.... and something that is REALLY useful..... and they come back for more...

I love the pride that they have in their work ..... THIS is my first quilt and look how fabulous it is!!!!

deal is, I'll provide the materials for your first quilt then once you're hooked you have to buy your own.... same with equipment... Happy to share my machines and tools of the trade... whilst you make up your mind if its your thing or not...

Never had anyone 'give up' on a quilt yet.....
Old Nov 12th 2011, 2:19 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have a look at Mary Maxim http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/...ry_10001_10054 Whenever I get to Canada I always take my mom & sister on a day trip to stock up. Not sure if they deliver to Australia, but if you have a connection in the US or Canada they could get delivery and send on to you.
Thanks Dorothy, they certainly have a good variety there! It looks like they would ship abroad, but you have to order and then they email you with the cost of the shipping for you to approve or otherwise. I've bookmarked the page just in case!

Originally Posted by eddie007
anyone who can sew a reasonably straight line can quilt.... I start people off on a double carpenters star... they are easy to cut, easy to sew and look dead impressive when its finished, providing you use good contrasting fabrics and a background that makes the star pop.... google the pattern.... I often get asked why I dont start beginners on a single carpenters star... its because using 6 inch blocks makes a bed sized quilt and that is what gets them hooked... if your first quilt is a placemat or a wall hanging its like... thats nice but I'll never be able to make a bed sized one... start them off on the bed size... same amount of work involved, just bigger block size.... and something that is REALLY useful..... and they come back for more...

I love the pride that they have in their work ..... THIS is my first quilt and look how fabulous it is!!!!

deal is, I'll provide the materials for your first quilt then once you're hooked you have to buy your own.... same with equipment... Happy to share my machines and tools of the trade... whilst you make up your mind if its your thing or not...

Never had anyone 'give up' on a quilt yet.....
That's the trouble with trying something new is the investment and you might not like it - so what you do for your friends is really kind, giving them a bit of a free-trial. I just had a look at the double carpenters star and it looks lovely - I can understand your point about getting a huge buzz from having that as a first project. For now, it's something for me to keep on the back-burner, but in time I'd love to give it a whirl!