Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Divorce Help from the Experts please!!

Divorce Help from the Experts please!!

Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:22 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce Help from the Experts please!!

Pre-nups in Australia are now legally binding.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

But I think there is a law in Australia which says that if a person was a dependent- and that means your income was supporting them ( they don't even have to be related) they will be able to claim support from you. This overrides any prenuptial agreements that you had, and also any wills should you die. It is to do with need.

Go to the UK to get divorced!!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:47 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
But I think there is a law in Australia which says that if a person was a dependent- and that means your income was supporting them ( they don't even have to be related) they will be able to claim support from you. This overrides any prenuptial agreements that you had, and also any wills should you die. It is to do with need.

I don't think this is right Caroline, but as the (now financially dependent) co-signatory to an Australian pre-nup I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Well, not happy to be... but you know what I mean!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Mr TE and I separated earlier this year. The assets in the relationship are all mine and I did, out of sympathy and goodwill, offer him a sum of money and a year living on my boat in Mackay to sort himself out. I saw my solicitor in the UK and he was of the opinion I wasn't legally obliged to give him anything as he signed a letter of intent that he wouldn't lay claim to any of my assets should we split up. Due to his actions lately I'd like to renege on my offer as I'm slowly realising he was cheating on me whilst I was away and I no longer feel any goodwill towards him.

I have sent emails confirming the sum of money I was prepared to separate with and wonder whether these have any legal standing - like a breach of promise? Does anybody know? I'd like to walk away and give him the middle finger.
I have no advice TE but hope that you can sort this out amicably

Good luck
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
But then, prenups can be a grey area over there which throws up a whole set of other problems
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:46 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought. Can an Australian court end a UK marriage?

Also, from here: http://www.familylawcourts.gov.au/wp...vorce/Divorce/

"What a court considers in divorce applications
The Family Law Act 1975 established the principle of no-fault divorce in Australian law. This means that a court does not consider why the marriage ended.

The only ground for divorce is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. That is, that there is no reasonable likelihood that you will get back together. You must have been separated for at least 12 months and one day in order to satisfy the Court that the marriage has broken down irretrievably."
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Just a thought. Can an Australian court end a UK marriage?

Also, from here: http://www.familylawcourts.gov.au/wp...vorce/Divorce/

"What a court considers in divorce applications
The Family Law Act 1975 established the principle of no-fault divorce in Australian law. This means that a court does not consider why the marriage ended.

The only ground for divorce is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. That is, that there is no reasonable likelihood that you will get back together. You must have been separated for at least 12 months and one day in order to satisfy the Court that the marriage has broken down irretrievably."
Yes, a UK marriage can be ended by divorce here.
The "year and a day, no fault" thing does make it easy as you don't have to prove anyone's errors ended the marriage, but divorcing in the UK can be beneficial from a financial point of view, even if it makjes it a bit tougher in other ways.
I considered divorcing through the UK but then having no assets it really made no difference. With property involved - especially UK property - I would say the UK would be the better way to go.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I dont understand at all why posters are suggesting that the OP divorces in the UK.

If the OPs husband wants a share of her assets and she wants to fight it it will cost her around £35k and upwards.

Legal Aid for all finished a few months ago with the process being handled by mediation where the mediators are hell bent on sharing the assets.

I respectfully suggest that the OP reads up on latest divorce rules and procedures and joins www.wikivorce.com and put questions on the forum as often they are answered by solicitors or those currently going through the process.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I don't think this is right Caroline, but as the (now financially dependent) co-signatory to an Australian pre-nup I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Well, not happy to be... but you know what I mean!
I'm really hoping it is wrong too, but I know it is definitely right as far as wills are concerned.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I was divorced in NSW Australia about ten years ago

At that time the advice I received was that she would get what she brought to the marriage table, I would get what I brought to the marriage table and all assets over and above our respective inputs, accrued since the start of the marriage / relationship would be divided equally.

She disputed this advice from both our solicitors and went to arbitration, the presiding judge confirmed the advice we had been given by the solicitors.

There were no children invoved and I thought this was a pretty fair decision.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:19 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
I was divorced in NSW Australia about ten years ago

At that time the advice I received was that she would get what she brought to the marriage table, I would get what I brought to the marriage table and all assets over and above our respective inputs, accrued since the start of the marriage / relationship would be divided equally.

She disputed this advice from both our solicitors and went to arbitration, the presiding judge confirmed the advice we had been given by the solicitors.

There were no children invoved and I thought this was a pretty fair decision.
Thanks Hino. That's pretty much the advice I'm getting from solicitors here too.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:33 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Thanks Hino. That's pretty much the advice I'm getting from solicitors here too.
You're probably best printing off the emails you sent him and showing them to the solicitors you've consulted - they'll be able to tell you if there's any legal obligation in them.

Good luck x
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You're probably best printing off the emails you sent him and showing them to the solicitors you've consulted - they'll be able to tell you if there's any legal obligation in them.

Good luck x
Or just wipe your hands of it and be done with it. Going through this process keeps him in your life when it sounds like, the sooner you are rid of him the happier you will be. Revenge is not the only answer.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Or just wipe your hands of it and be done with it. Going through this process keeps him in your life when it sounds like, the sooner you are rid of him the happier you will be. Revenge is not the only answer.

Good point Nige, you cant move forward if you have baggage of the past.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 12:33 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Originally Posted by Cheetah7

Good point Nige, you cant move forward if you have baggage of the past.
I took the easy (expensive) route to get rid of TheVileEx - you can end up resenting that the arsehole got any more than he had to if you'd done things in a different way.

It isn't necessarily about wanting revenge on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.