Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by GarryP
Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May - BBC News

So, after 6 months of careful planning, all May can say is "well, we'll just walk away". Basically that was the situation at the beginning, she's made no progress,
From this comment I take it you haven't actually watched her speech then Garry?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

A good summary on a lot of the front pages here:

Theresa May's Brexit 'deal or no deal' - BBC News
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:58 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Dumb Dumb Dumb.
Dumbest leader in Europe at the moment. And all in the name of propaganda by pretending to deal with immigration.

If this was truly an issue she ought to have focused on non-EU migrants which make up the majority of those coming in each year. Cut that by half and all immigration falls by over a quarter. And all this without adversely affecting the rights of British nationals across the continent.

So instead of focusing on anything sensible, we're going to achieve nothing, while at the same time giving away so much:

- out of the single market, OUCH
- out of the customs union, OUCH
- downfall in investments
- increased chance of UK breakup
- no more protection by European courts and laws (which will suck for everything from human rights, workers' rights to the environment)
- British citizens no longer allowed to freely live and/or work wherever they please

Bummer for businesses, bummer for the British people. Lose-lose scenario that only Ms May(day) is capable of...
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

With the rest of them she still talks as if London can dictate to the other EU members what is going to happen ! Has she learned the meaning of "negotiation" ? As Yannis said some time ago, "You thought you voted to leave - you will be spending the next 10 years negotiating !"
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
With the rest of them she still talks as if London can dictate to the other EU members what is going to happen ! Has she learned the meaning of "negotiation" ? As Yannis said some time ago, "You thought you voted to leave - you will be spending the next 10 years negotiating !"
Looks like the Irish are on board for a bit of negotiating. Have the others actually said "no trade with Britain"? I don't think so.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Dumbest leader in Europe at the moment. And all in the name of propaganda by pretending to deal with immigration.

If this was truly an issue she ought to have focused on non-EU migrants which make up the majority of those coming in each year. Cut that by half and all immigration falls by over a quarter. And all this without adversely affecting the rights of British nationals across the continent.

So instead of focusing on anything sensible, we're going to achieve nothing, while at the same time giving away so much:

- out of the single market, OUCH
- out of the customs union, OUCH
- downfall in investments
- increased chance of UK breakup
- no more protection by European courts and laws (which will suck for everything from human rights, workers' rights to the environment)
- British citizens no longer allowed to freely live and/or work wherever they please

Bummer for businesses, bummer for the British people. Lose-lose scenario that only Ms May(day) is capable of...
I don't believe May called the Brexit. The common man like you did.

You are blaming the wrong person for not getting the result you wanted.

But the common man will always look to blame.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Looks like the Irish are on board for a bit of negotiating. Have the others actually said "no trade with Britain"? I don't think so.

Looks like the Irish are planning on maintaining the CTA - so if an EU passport is important for you, 4 years living in Dublin and you're back in the game...

S
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Looks like the Irish are planning on maintaining the CTA - so if an EU passport is important for you, 4 years living in Dublin and you're back in the game...

S
I'd probably take that deal if I needed it.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:54 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'd probably take that deal if I needed it.

I think I may end up with liver damage though...

S
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think I may end up with liver damage though...

S
But a much sexier accent. Well depends on what part of Dublin.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:05 pm
has lost The Game

But a much sexier accent. Well depends on what part of Dublin.

I wonder how much Smithwicks Red Ale I could drink in 4 years...

S
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wonder how much Smithwicks Red Ale I could drink in 4 years...

S
Have you tried Special? It's a pint of Smithwicks with a Guinness head.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:33 pm
has lost The Game

Have you tried Special? It's a pint of Smithwicks with a Guinness head.

I haven't - I didn't make it to Dublin this year, but am looking at going in the summer for a conference. So I'll take this recommendation and store it away until then

S
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:35 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

S
4 years in somewhere like Galway would be awesome but Dublin? No thanks - it's a grim, overpriced dump
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
4 years in somewhere like Galway would be awesome but Dublin? No thanks - it's a grim, overpriced dump
You didn't do Dublin properly then.

Galway is really nice but 4 years there would be tough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.