Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by northernbird
Suicide It's been a truly horrific week. Funeral is tomorrow, I am not looking forward to that. We live in a different world now. Social media plays a massive part in their lives. Someone actually posted anonymously on one social media site that my daughter was disgusting and it should have been her that died rather than Kim. Imagine writing that about another human being. Quite disgusting and as you can imagine it has affected my daughter.
Oh dear God, that's beyond awful. Your poor daughter. Cannot imagine dealing with that as a child.
What a heinous thing to write, what kind of a person could even think that never mind saying it? was it on that awful Formspring? I think that's the worst of these sites where anyone can anonymously write anything on your page.
Funeral going to be terrible for everyone, really feel for you.
(would like to add bunch of flowers here or something but can't see it - an imaginary virtual bunch instead x)
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Oh dear God, that's beyond awful. Your poor daughter. Cannot imagine dealing with that as a child.
What a heinous thing to write, what kind of a person could even think that never mind saying it? was it on that awful Formspring? I think that's the worst of these sites where anyone can anonymously write anything on your page.
(would like to add bunch of flowers here or something but can't see it - an imaginary virtual bunch instead x)
and hugs from me too ((()))
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
and hugs from me too ((()))
Thanks Ladies. It was Tumblr. Truly hideous website, imagine an organisation allowing anonymous posting. They weren't very supportive when I complained either.

Kids hey, who'd bloody have them!!! Hope both your girls are feeling OK too. People with older kids who have had issues tell me we will get through this but that doesn't make it any easier to cope with at the time. I am literally taking each day as it comes and not making any plans beyond that.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:54 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I know this might not help but if you are seriously concerned especially where self harming is concered take them to the ED department and they should do something not too sure thoughas we have been over her 1 year and things are different.

When appointments are reduced the client/patient panic and think they cant cope and therefore revert back to previous behaviour. It is very difficult and you also need to make sure you are supported as well because it will drain you as well you could attempt some other things that divert her rather than FB such as real contact or phone contact. Also activites such as craft music games puzzles painting or even journalling but dont read it unless she offers it to you. I would recommend writing in bad days and good days so she can refer back and see how things have worked in the past.

Also try not to reduce severity of any "incidents" or the impact on others let them know you are scared for them. Ask them to assess thier level of unsafeness on a scale of 1-10 ask them if they have anything which they can hurt themselves with. You cant stand guard 24/7 and if they gonna do it they will. Make them aware its the behaviour u dont like not them u love them but the behaviour hurts and consequence of this behaviour is ..... stitches seeing dr pain scars etc.

If they are verbalising depression again assess scale 1-10 but also see if anything changed with thier behaviour sometimes meds help but can have side effects Also look for some support groups

Hope this helps apologies if it dosent but I feel for you all and remember things can get better and do I see it every day at work so my kids at the mo no depression or Self harm but I work with it every day .
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ladies. It was Tumblr. Truly hideous website, imagine an organisation allowing anonymous posting. They weren't very supportive when I complained either.

Kids hey, who'd bloody have them!!! Hope both your girls are feeling OK too. People with older kids who have had issues tell me we will get through this but that doesn't make it any easier to cope with at the time. I am literally taking each day as it comes and not making any plans beyond that.
Christ, how awful. Hope your husband is back soon to give you all some support.

X
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I've pulled DD from swimming tomorrow, and out of the carnival. coaches not happy about the latter. DD is having blood tests tomorrow, so maybe they will show up something.

Meanwhile I'm stressing a bit about my blood tests which say I'm borderline pregnant!!!! Well, that would be a miracle at my age, and seeing as I was menopausal at 40. Anyway, it is either a blip, which is most likely, or I've got a cyst or something causing a false result. New blood test for me on Wednesday, when I also get my MRI results. No wonder my BP is up to 150/90.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:49 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avi
as well you could attempt some other things that divert her rather than FB such as real contact or phone contact. Also activites such as craft music games puzzles painting or even journalling but dont read it unless she offers it to you.
This is a good distraction exercise. I found that playing traditional board and card games with the family worked wonders to make things easier during our darkest days.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile I'm stressing a bit about my blood tests which say I'm borderline pregnant!!!!
Good grief! Is that an official medical condition?
I hope you get it settled and your BP gets back to a lower level.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:29 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Meanwhile I'm stressing a bit about my blood tests which say I'm borderline pregnant!!!! Well, that would be a miracle at my age, and seeing as I was menopausal at 40. Anyway, it is either a blip, which is most likely, or I've got a cyst or something causing a false result. New blood test for me on Wednesday, when I also get my MRI results. No wonder my BP is up to 150/90.[/QUOTE]

You could try breathing exercises to help reduce your stress. One we use a lot is breath in for 3 hold for 3 and breath out for 3. This is useful for relaxing whilst on the go. Also at night when all is "calm" do a proper relaxation such as a progressive muscle relaxation or use an imagery one

Feel better soon xx
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:30 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I've pulled DD from swimming tomorrow, and out of the carnival. coaches not happy about the latter. DD is having blood tests tomorrow, so maybe they will show up something.

Meanwhile I'm stressing a bit about my blood tests which say I'm borderline pregnant!!!! Well, that would be a miracle at my age, and seeing as I was menopausal at 40. Anyway, it is either a blip, which is most likely, or I've got a cyst or something causing a false result. New blood test for me on Wednesday, when I also get my MRI results. No wonder my BP is up to 150/90.

Poor you Caroline - you have enough to deal with without all this too. The borderline pregnant did make me giggle though - interesting concept (I know what you mean, it's just funny reading it!)

I just wanted to let you know that I think you're a great Mum, with one of the loveliest girls I know. She's kind, friendly, and smiley as well as being talented. She may be having a hard time at the moment, but she knows you're there for her and will support her no matter what and that will help her enormously.

I feel for all of you who are having problems with your teenagers; it must be awful not knowing what to do for the best for them. I have three teenage girls and while they're not perfect and they have their moments, we haven't had anything like the problems some of you are coping with.....so far
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by avi
You could try breathing exercises to help reduce your stress. One we use a lot is breath in for 3 hold for 3 and breath out for 3. This is useful for relaxing whilst on the go. Also at night when all is "calm" do a proper relaxation such as a progressive muscle relaxation or use an imagery one

Feel better soon xx
Thanks Avi- I already do the breathing exercise and relaxing the muscles, so imagine what it would be like if I didn't!!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CEM
Poor you Caroline - you have enough to deal with without all this too. The borderline pregnant did make me giggle though - interesting concept (I know what you mean, it's just funny reading it!)

I just wanted to let you know that I think you're a great Mum, with one of the loveliest girls I know. She's kind, friendly, and smiley as well as being talented. She may be having a hard time at the moment, but she knows you're there for her and will support her no matter what and that will help her enormously.

I feel for all of you who are having problems with your teenagers; it must be awful not knowing what to do for the best for them. I have three teenage girls and while they're not perfect and they have their moments, we haven't had anything like the problems some of you are coping with.....so far
Thanks CEM- I am hoping the results will be normal for me, and almost wishing Dd's will show something that we can deal with, otherwise we are still in limbo.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Funeral was this morning and if you can call a funeral lovely it really was. Lots of tears but also lots of laughter as her family and her friends remembered her. If any of you have ever been to Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park it really is the most beautiful setting and the weather was kind to us all. I told the kids I had in my car afterwards that NOTHING is unfixable. Communication is key, I might not always like what I hear but tell me anyway. The only thing that isn't fixable is what Kim did and I don't want to be doing that again in a hurry. Let's hope that such a tragic event may help some of these kids seek help for their troubles rather than be consumed by them.

Last edited by northernbird; Jun 9th 2012 at 8:47 am.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funeral was this morning and if you can call a funeral lovely it really was. Lots of tears but also lots of laughter as her family and her friends remembered her. If any of you have ever been to Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park it really is the most beautiful setting and the weather was kind to us all. I told the kids I had in my car afterwards that NOTHING is unfixable. Communication is key, I might not always like what I hear but tell me anyway. The only thing that isn't fixable is what Kim did and I don't want to be doing that again in a hurry. Let's hope that such a tragic event may help some of these kids seek help for their troubles rather than be consumed by them.
Hear Hear. (((hugs)))
Old Jun 9th 2012, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Took DD for her blood tests this morning- she fainted!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.