Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:08 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by Penny45
Can I seek some advice please? The person in my family is my 15 year old daughter. She was self harming but has stopped after seeing a clinical psychologist for 10 weeks. I really thought things were improving but she has recently been having trouble sleeping - I have read that insomnia is a symptom of depression.

Today she has come back from school saying she can't go tomorrow, needs to catch up on sleep, can't concentrate, feels super depressed/suicidal, very teary when she's telling me all this.

My instinct is to make her go as to let her sit in room all day would surely make her feel worse and also, if she spends a lot of the day dozing then we're back to her not sleeping properly tomorrow night then she's tired again on Friday.

Would really appreciate some opinions on this - if I try to 'make' her go it's likely to involve me having to drag her out of bed and a lot of stress.
Thanks.
I can't give you much advice but here is a link that may help:

http://www.youthbeyondblue.com/parents-and-carers/

Paul
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Can I seek some advice please? The person in my family is my 15 year old daughter. She was self harming but has stopped after seeing a clinical psychologist for 10 weeks. I really thought things were improving but she has recently been having trouble sleeping - I have read that insomnia is a symptom of depression.

Today she has come back from school saying she can't go tomorrow, needs to catch up on sleep, can't concentrate, feels super depressed/suicidal, very teary when she's telling me all this.

My instinct is to make her go as to let her sit in room all day would surely make her feel worse and also, if she spends a lot of the day dozing then we're back to her not sleeping properly tomorrow night then she's tired again on Friday.

Would really appreciate some opinions on this - if I try to 'make' her go it's likely to involve me having to drag her out of bed and a lot of stress.
Thanks.
Has something happened in her peer group, or at school? My daughter threatened to kill herself when she found out someone had been spreading untrue gossip about her and a "boyfriend" on facebook, which my daughter doesn't have, but some of her friends do- her hormones were also all over the place and she was very frightened of how her feelings kept swinging about. It was hard to handle- she saw the counsellor, and we let her know that we were there for her- sometimes by just hugging her as she sobbed. The school were pretty good about sorting the problem out, and her GP also put her on the pill, partly as a treatment for her acne and partly to stabilise the hormones.
I don't know if any of this is at all helpful, but you have my sympathies in what is a horrid place to be.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

If mine was suicidal and verbalising it I would be "making them go" to the doctors... Right now.... 15 year olds are too vulnerable not to have strong parents at times like this.. And school, if that is where the problem is, may not be the bestbplace for her.... Honestly.. I'd get professional help STAT
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Has something happened in her peer group, or at school? My daughter threatened to kill herself when she found out someone had been spreading untrue gossip about her and a "boyfriend" on facebook, which my daughter doesn't have, but some of her friends do- her hormones were also all over the place and she was very frightened of how her feelings kept swinging about. It was hard to handle- she saw the counsellor, and we let her know that we were there for her- sometimes by just hugging her as she sobbed. The school were pretty good about sorting the problem out, and her GP also put her on the pill, partly as a treatment for her acne and partly to stabilise the hormones.
I don't know if any of this is at all helpful, but you have my sympathies in what is a horrid place to be.
God, I really wouldn't want to be a teenager these days, I think they know too much too young and can't cope. Hope your daughter doing better these days.

She says she just wants a 'stress free' day at home tomorrow. Her boyfriend of one year finished with her two weeks ago and she reacted much better than I expected, I thought she was doing OK so not sure why she's gone backwards. I feel if I let her stay at home it will be habit forming.

There is a feeling in me that to some extent its manipulation and I know that's really harsh. Husband not much help although he did take her to school yesterday after major freak out - it would have got much worse if I'd been left to deal with it.

So the question is, for someone who has depression (which I have not suffered) is it best to let them have their 'time out' or should I be hard and force her to go to school?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

God, I really wouldn't want to be a teenager these days, I think they know too much too young and can't cope. Hope your daughter doing better these days.

She says she just wants a 'stress free' day at home tomorrow. Her boyfriend of one year finished with her two weeks ago and she reacted much better than I expected, I thought she was doing OK so not sure why she's gone backwards. I feel if I let her stay at home it will be habit forming.

There is a feeling in me that to some extent its manipulation and I know that's really harsh. Husband not much help although he did take her to school yesterday after major freak out - it would have got much worse if I'd been left to deal with it.

So the question is, for someone who has depression (which I have not suffered) is it best to let them have their 'time out' or should I be hard and force her to go to school?
Force her to go... To a professional..... She is either in need of help... Or a kick up the arse... Only you really kniw which one it is....

Is she manipulating you? Or genuinely depressed?

My 13 year old was teary/down... School told her she was depressed and she needed to see a Dr... i told them she had been up on FB three nights in a row ..not with permission i may add.... So we sorted THAT and sorted THEM too...
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
If mine was suicidal and verbalising it I would be "making them go" to the doctors... Right now.... 15 year olds are too vulnerable not to have strong parents at times like this.. And school, if that is where the problem is, may not be the bestbplace for her.... Honestly.. I'd get professional help STAT
Her last weekly appointment at the clinical psychologist was last Wednesday. The Doc told her she could now reduce to fortnightly appointments as self harming has stopped. It's quite difficult to get emergency appointment with her and I don't think the GP has been much help (apart from the initial referral).

There's a childline type phone number but she says she doesn't want to ring them and talk about it. Lost really
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Her last weekly appointment at the clinical psychologist was last Wednesday. The Doc told her she could now reduce to fortnightly appointments as self harming has stopped. It's quite difficult to get emergency appointment with her and I don't think the GP has been much help (apart from the initial referral).

There's a childline type phone number but she says she doesn't want to ring them and talk about it. Lost really

Serious point... The weekly appointments with the psychologist have been reduced to fortnightly... And the self harming has stopped... Is this another wayto get attention? Or is she genuinely unwell....

I'm asking this because I know some teen girls who do this kind of thing and arent unwell... They crave the attention..... But then my 15 year old was clinically depressed last year due to smoking dope (****wit, scared the living daylights out of us as well as himself... )... Its a rock and a hardplace with teens... Are they normal hormonal? are they depressed? Are they manipulating you... As parents we dont have the answers all the time....

It may be "quite difficult' to get an emergency appointment but if she is seriously at risk you have to make it happen....

Tbh you dont sound convinced....
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

I'm almost convinced, the self harm was real enough, the tears are real enough and that kind of 'dull' expression on her face sometimes. If I really 100% thought she was going to do something then I'd ask for her to be admitted somewhere. But then she's on facebook 'chatting' with mates, she still has a healthy appetite etc etc. What the hell do I know though? I keep thinking of Gary Speed who was all 'normal' until the day he ended it.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Did your son's depression 'lift' when the dope smoking stopped?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did your son's depression 'lift' when the dope smoking stopped?
Eventually... With some healthy living and open talking and unconditional love
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007
Eventually... With some healthy living and open talking and unconditional love
That's wonderful for you, and very good to know.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Personally I'd be banning FB til her "depression" lifts.... Gorgeous was flat all the time... No highs/sparks at all... Disengaged quietly from school (where he had been getting thenstuff FFS!) and lost interest in everything and everyone. Apart from his cat... Who he spent hours with holed up in his room with.

He's 100% back to his normal self now.....
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost convinced, the self harm was real enough, the tears are real enough and that kind of 'dull' expression on her face sometimes. If I really 100% thought she was going to do something then I'd ask for her to be admitted somewhere. But then she's on facebook 'chatting' with mates, she still has a healthy appetite etc etc. What the hell do I know though? I keep thinking of Gary Speed who was all 'normal' until the day he ended it.
Your local children's hospital will have a paediatric mental health unit which will have a nurse on call. Phone them NOW. Don't wait for your daughter to want to ring the kids' help line. You're the parent, you make her speak to someone.

She probably doesn't need to be admitted somewhere, she needs to be able to talk to someone tonight. If her psychologist can't/won't see her then she needs the help of the emergency professionals at the children's hospital.

In Perth it's called ACAT (Acute Community Assessment Team). Not sure if that's what it's called in Sydney, but try googling ACAT Sydney to see what you come up with.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Your local children's hospital will have a paediatric mental health unit which will have a nurse on call. Phone them NOW. Don't wait for your daughter to want to ring the kids' help line. You're the parent, you make her speak to someone.

She probably doesn't need to be admitted somewhere, she needs to be able to talk to someone tonight. If her psychologist can't/won't see her then she needs the help of the emergency professionals at the children's hospital.

In Perth it's called ACAT (Acute Community Assessment Team). Not sure if that's what it's called in Sydney, but try googling ACAT Sydney to see what you come up with.
Agreed... Good post
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

According to google, ACAT in Sydney is Aged Care Assessment Team. Bloody helpful, not! (using the same initials, not Dorothy)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.