Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:16 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Get them top say 'Maroon 5 wore maroon shirts'.
I've had people try and justify that by saying, "No no no - those are 2 different words - once is adjective (the colour), the other is the verb (as in - "abandon" )..... Respectfully pointing them to a dictionary where the pronunciation is spelt out exactly the same for the 2 definitions doesnt seem to help.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I've had people try and justify that by saying, "No no no - those are 2 different words - once is adjective (the colour), the other is the verb (as in - "abandon" )..... Respectfully pointing them to a dictionary where the pronunciation is spelt out exactly the same for the 2 definitions doesnt seem to help.
So new line to read is "Maroon 5 wore maroon shirts when they were marooned"
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Get someone from Bristol to say..

"Specifically, what is the best TV aerial for this area?"

Comes out as

"Pacifically, what is the best TV aeriel for this aeriel"

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 13th 2012 at 6:35 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

livvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura about

when i had my first job in Oz as a secretary in a solicitors office, they called memo's ''meemo's''. It took me ages to work out what they were on about.

Dayboo also bugs the crap out of me, as well as newsreaders who say "an 'istoric', instead of 'a historic', talk about making it difficult for yourself.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
My surname is French. You wouldn't believe what I've heard over the years.

The only person who pronounced it correctly so far was a staff member working at the Canadian High Commission in Canberra, thank goodness.

Oh and the Garnier ads...Garn-yerr. Nice.
I miss French. My daughter's boss is French and she said he has the most beautiful accent.
Originally Posted by livvyg
when i had my first job in Oz as a secretary in a solicitors office, they called memo's ''meemo's''. It took me ages to work out what they were on about.

Dayboo also bugs the crap out of me, as well as newsreaders who say "an 'istoric', instead of 'a historic', talk about making it difficult for yourself.
But "an" is correct in front of the word "historic". Would you say "a hour"
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
The worst pronunciation in Australian english speaking history is cay-sh for cache. Its ****ing cash
Actually I use cay-sh for the stuff in a computer, and ca-sh for the stuff in my pocket.

Originally Posted by Kim67
my husband's British cousin called our router a rooter when he was in Aus a couple of weeks ago and didn't understand when I choked on my tea.
I use r-oo-ter for the networking device, and r-out-er for the thing that makes holes in wood. Sniggering aussies are treated with disdain.

All down to giving some differentiation between the terms so you know what's being talked about.

Anyone who says prO-ject or darta, however, gets smacked over the head with a cricket bat.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Oh Japonica! Please karma me your surname. I'm almost salivating in anticipation
My surname has an accent AND a silent D at the end...
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:52 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Whack it over luv
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Come on then ... we need to know!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon I am the only person on here who can actually pronounce début as it is meant to be pronounced with the right [y] sound Cos I haven't yet met an English native speaker who can do the [y] sound correctly
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

livvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dorothy

But "an" is correct in front of the word "historic". Would you say "a hour"
No I wouldn't, I would say "an hour'' as the H isnt pronounced in the word, same as ''an honour'', "an honest" etc. As far as im concerned the H in historic is pronounced e.g ''look at that historic house''.

It wouldnt be too bad if they didnt go to great pains to emphasise the 2 different words, i think thats what makes it sound bad (to my ears anyway), as i quite frequently drop h's and add an e.g ''he's an 'appy boy'' but if i was reading the news and trying to sound proper i would say ''he's a happy boy''.

Sorry cant believe ive written a whole post about this, im not a grammar nazi its just one of those little things that really irks me!!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:21 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Oh Japonica! Please karma me your surname. I'm almost salivating in anticipation
Strauss Kahnd

Last edited by commonwealth; Mar 13th 2012 at 8:24 am. Reason: Silent D
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PENNY45
Come on then ... we need to know!
Not on a public forum! Now if karma were forthcoming... maybe a PM would be appropriate
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon I am the only person on here who can actually pronounce début as it is meant to be pronounced with the right [y] sound Cos I haven't yet met an English native speaker who can do the [y] sound correctly
You mean the [y] as in high front rounded vowel...some of us can do it. Have German or French to thank for it though. German especially. If you're a lazy English speaker and decide to substitute [u] for [y], you get entirely different words in some cases, and some quizzical looks from the person you're speaking with.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Paaaaah-sta
Daaah-ta
Pro-ject
and over here (NZ) they say 'Woman' for 'women' - that really annoys me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.