Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Strauss Kahnd
Hey, my name doesn't have the silent D. I'm the other variant that perplexes Aussies...
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:34 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I reckon I am the only person on here who can actually pronounce début as it is meant to be pronounced with the right [y] sound Cos I haven't yet met an English native speaker who can do the [y] sound correctly
OK ya show off... how would you pronounce these places?

Oswaldtwistle and Penistone.

Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I miss French. My daughter's boss is French and she said he has the most beautiful accent.

But "an" is correct in front of the word "historic". Would you say "a hour"
I think you are correct Dorothy but as the English language has evolved it's more common to say 'a hotel' now (keeping the 'h') for words where the 'h' is dropped like, heir, heirloom, hour you keep the 'an'. Wonder if US people say 'an 'erb'?? That would sound really weird!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
I think you are correct Dorothy but as the English language has evolved it's more common to say 'a hotel' now (keeping the 'h') for words where the 'h' is dropped like, heir, heirloom, hour you keep the 'an'. Wonder if US people say 'an 'erb'?? That would sound really weird!
The Canadian version of "herb" for my province is "erb." Apparently it drives British expats bonkers...there was a thread on it a while back in the Canadian forum.

An erb...I guess so if you were talking about one. I just had to quiz hubby about it...Hmm..."Parsley is an erb that grows in the garden." Well, we wouldn't say a erb, or an herb...

I did ask for the Herb turkey breast at Coles last week. Guess there's no hope for me now... They're going to confiscate my Canadian passport for that one.

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 13th 2012 at 8:53 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

This time round I have been fixated on the way they pronounce "years". It's almost like "yes", perhaps "yees" at best

It should sound broadly like "ears" with a "y", and I don't think they would pronounce the former as "ees". Or would they?

Was talking to a lovely French girl here the other day, she said "You must be Eenglish, no? You are only zee second person I 'ave met 'ere who I can understand!"
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
You mean the [y] as in high front rounded vowel...some of us can do it. Have German or French to thank for it though. German especially. If you're a lazy English speaker and decide to substitute [u] for [y], you get entirely different words in some cases, and some quizzical looks from the person you're speaking with.
Yep, the exact same [y] as in "cul-de-sac"
According to Wikipedia, the Scots can say it
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
OK ya show off... how would you pronounce these places?

Oswaldtwistle and Penistone.

You would be surprised. Is there a recording feature on here so I can prove my superiority

Try these for good measure

Bourgougnague
Villemoustaussou

Last edited by elice_in_oz; Mar 13th 2012 at 9:13 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DC10
This time round I have been fixated on the way they pronounce "years". It's almost like "yes", perhaps "yees" at best

It should sound broadly like "ears" with a "y", and I don't think they would pronounce the former as "ees". Or would they?

Was talking to a lovely French girl here the other day, she said "You must be Eenglish, no? You are only zee second person I 'ave met 'ere who I can understand!"
That's lovely!
In my lovely country, a lot of people say ear, year and hear/here in exactly the same way, can be confusing....
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:09 am
Account Closed

You would be surprised. Is there a recording feature on here so I can prove my superiority
Yeah, right.

Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yeah, right.

Right, I am buying a microphone and recording myself. I reckon I'd do a better job with those names than you of my name any day
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Right, I am buying a microphone and recording myself. I reckon I'd do a better job with those names than you of my name any day
French is easy... see.

Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livvyg
when i had my first job in Oz as a secretary in a solicitors office, they called memo's ''meemo's''. It took me ages to work out what they were on about.

Dayboo also bugs the crap out of me, as well as newsreaders who say "an 'istoric', instead of 'a historic', talk about making it difficult for yourself.
Finding meemo has a nice sound to it.

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
The worst pronunciation in Australian english speaking history is cay-sh for cache. Its ****ing cash
Yes.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Dare I mention the pronounciation of maroon.......
No.

Originally Posted by HUP
I don't recall them saying Marone 5. But perhaps they do. They do refer to the Queensland Rugby team as the Marones.

Data - Darta is my pet hate
One of mine too. I say Daytuh on purpose.

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Have to admit, I stick with router here in the UK. I deal with companies from many different countries so nobody really cares one way or the other in a professional setting, but domestically I can't bring myself to say 'rooter'. Maybe in a year or two
They say root on the weather channel. The flood water ad - Don't drive through flood water... find another root (route). So it can be done.

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 13th 2012 at 9:52 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:29 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

My surname is French. You wouldn't believe what I've heard over the years.

The only person who pronounced it correctly so far was a staff member working at the Canadian High Commission in Canberra, thank goodness.

Oh and the Garnier ads...Garn-yerr. Nice.
Technically, that's Canadian territory. Hence it doesn't count.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:34 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, my name doesn't have the silent D. I'm the other variant that perplexes Aussies...
Yes Mr/Miss/Ms/Dr/Sir Bouchard.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian version of "herb" for my province is "erb." Apparently it drives British expats bonkers...there was a thread on it a while back in the Canadian forum.

An erb...I guess so if you were talking about one. I just had to quiz hubby about it...Hmm..."Parsley is an erb that grows in the garden." Well, we wouldn't say a erb, or an herb...

I did ask for the Herb turkey breast at Coles last week. Guess there's no hope for me now... They're going to confiscate my Canadian passport for that one.
Canadian KFC is made with 11 erbs n spices. However I had an uncle Herb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.