Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Try it after 30 years... .I get really confused on certain words pronunciation.

Especially when you throw the North South mix into the equation

"Twat" caused me all sorts of confusion.

It was definitely "Twot" When I left the UK and was used to describe a certain part of a womans body.... but wasn't commonly used, . I was correcting Aussies all over the place.... Until I heard a Londoner say it on TV... I was quite taken aback.

Which part of the UK are you from? One of my pals is from Birmingham and she says twot but in my part of the world people always say twat!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
Which part of the UK are you from? One of my pals is from Birmingham and she says twot but in my part of the world people always say twat!
My friend is from B'ham and he says 'twat'
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

London and it was always Twot..... I've heard newcomers to this country from the South saying the Northern version now. "Twaat". Must be the only case ever of a Northern Pronunciation making it's way South.

Even got a bloke at work from Esher that says it the Northern way.... now that is infiltration.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 14th 2012 at 3:49 am.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

really annoying and often by newsreaders!

Dwidder (twitter)

Chewsdey (Tuesday )

Dwenny (twenty )

Furdy (thirty )
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:27 am
Just Joined

ebriscombe is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you guys adopt Aussie vocab, e.g. pants for trousers, dooner for duvet etc? I find it makes life easier if you can remember but i refuse to adopt their weird pronunciation of some words e.g. daata instead of data.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Furdy (thirty )
..or Furty in parts of the UK.. my old part for a kickoff
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ebriscombe
Do you guys adopt Aussie vocab, e.g. pants for trousers, dooner for duvet etc? I find it makes life easier if you can remember but i refuse to adopt their weird pronunciation of some words e.g. daata instead of data.
Not in a million years! When I first arrived and had stationery list from primary school I didn't know what half the items were - texta?? etc. Hope using their words doesn't include calling flipflops thongs!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:43 am
Just Joined

ebriscombe is an unknown quantity at this point

Not in a million years! When I first arrived and had stationery list from primary school I didn't know what half the items were - texta?? etc. Hope using their words doesn't include calling flipflops thongs!
I had an Irish friend at work who was new to the country who was sitting next to me at work, I remember the look of shock on his face when i asked all the girls around me if they knew where I could get some thongs especially after their candid response lol.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:11 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I think its safe to say my vocabulary has pretty much changed....

Even prononciation of business things ('data', 'router', 'project') has changed to avoid confusion.

At xmas I went home and had a perculiar conversation with my brother in law about r-oo-ter configuration (yeah yeah - its all party in THAT house ) and it just felt wrong... (I need to call them r-ow-ters nowadays)

..I still will NEVER do "Yo!-gurt" though... you gotta draw a line somewhere
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I think its safe to say my vocabulary has pretty much changed....

Even prononciation of business things ('data', 'router', 'project') has changed to avoid confusion.

At xmas I went home and had a perculiar conversation with my brother in law about r-oo-ter configuration (yeah yeah - its all party in THAT house ) and it just felt wrong... (I need to call them r-ow-ters nowadays)

..I still will NEVER do "Yo!-gurt" though... you gotta draw a line somewhere
I don't do yo-ghurt unless with some sort of irony...

I don't have an issue with adopting other words - texta, router/thongs is now a bore - just say it as used locally - I am happy to adopt the words of a country I find myself in without wringing my hands over it. Pure bogan words excepted : you have to remember that even locals will censor themselves in some areas.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:43 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Anyone ever find themselves accidentally using the word "yous"?

If I did, I'd simply have to throw myself off a bridge in shame. (seems pretty unlikely though!)
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:46 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

If I did, I'd simply have to throw myself off a bridge in shame. (seems pretty unlikely though!)
If you do jump the Storry,don't take anyone with you
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a part of the UK that uses that terminology as well ? They certainly do in the US.... So maybe around the WestCountry
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:05 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't do yo-ghurt unless with some sort of irony...

I don't have an issue with adopting other words - texta, router/thongs is now a bore - just say it as used locally - I am happy to adopt the words of a country I find myself in without wringing my hands over it. Pure bogan words excepted : you have to remember that even locals will censor themselves in some areas.
I do like gently copying my Aussie colleagues and caricaturing their accents. I enjoy altering 'merlot' to 'merlooooow' with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable or 'Maureen' to 'More eeeeeeen' in the same vein.

Another aspect of Aus-speak I've noticed is the incredible number of malapropisms that creep in, even on ABC radio etc
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Isn't there a part of the UK that uses that terminology as well ? They certainly do in the US.... So maybe around the WestCountry
Liverpool? Seems to remember some of the Brookside people saying yous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.