Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:29 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
4:30am?? That's obscene. I might invest in some black out blinds!
Or just get up earlier, like many Queenslanders do

Or live in Cairns, QLD, their earliest Sunrise is about 5:45am, so 'blazing sunshine' won't be till nearer 7am.

Our earliest Sunrise is 4:45am here on the Bayside, so probably 5:30/6:00am for "Blazing sunshine".

However, if you want to stay in bed longer, make sure your bedroom windows do not face the early sun, or you may need sunblock curtains.

Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernbird
That is exactly what we do, we stay outside till the early hours when we have people around. Lights and candles galore.
It's funny that, people do that here too ...

Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
That is exactly what we do, we stay outside till the early hours when we have people around. Lights and candles galore. It doesn't bother me it going dark early, I can't see why people get so worked up about it.
I don't get the big fuss either, as long as it's still warm, a few drinks by candle light will do us. Our pool lights up as well so it'll be nice to sit in the garden of evening with twinkly lights and a lit up pool maybe with a nice glass of wine. Ooh I'm looking forward to it now!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Or just get up earlier, like many Queenslanders do

Or live in Cairns, QLD, their earliest Sunrise is about 5:45am, so 'blazing sunshine' won't be till nearer 7am.

Our earliest Sunrise is 4:45am here on the Bayside, so probably 5:30/6:00am for "Blazing sunshine".

However, if you want to stay in bed longer, make sure your bedroom windows do not face the early sun, or you may need sunblock curtains.
5:30/6am isn't too bad but come mid summer I'll have a newborn, so something tells me I might up a bit earlier than I'd like anyway!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Do you expect people to change their minds to make it more interesting? Do you just read threads to make a miserable comment on them?
Nah - I'm just piss bored of the same old shite day in and day out. Hope that clears it up for you ...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:40 am
ABCDiamond

I don't get the big fuss either, as long as it's still warm, a few drinks by candle light will do us. Our pool lights up as well so it'll be nice to sit in the garden of evening with twinkly lights and a lit up pool maybe with a nice glass of wine. Ooh I'm looking forward to it now!

5:30/6am isn't too bad but come mid summer I'll have a newborn, so something tells me I might up a bit earlier than I'd like anyway!
My daughter was out in our pool with her friends the other night at about 9pm. No problems. Put the outside mozzie lights on, and you are away.

Getting up at 6am will have been a 'long lie in' for you in the future

After the birth, make sure you have two available bedrooms, with ceiling fans, one on either side of the house, so you can sleep at any time of day without the sun

Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was out in our pool with her friends the other night at about 9pm. No problems. Put the outside mozzie lights on, and you are away.

Getting up at 6am will have been a 'long lie in' for you in the future

After the birth, make sure you have two available bedrooms, with ceiling fans, one on either side of the house, so you can sleep at any time of day without the sun
We've got 4 bedrooms but only 2 have ceiling fans and they are either end of the house! I always wondered why they did that, now I know!

Last edited by LouiseR; Oct 8th 2009 at 7:57 am. Reason: sp
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

We've got 4 bedrooms but only 2 have ceiling fans and they are either end of the house! I always wondered why they did that, now I know!
I found exactly the same when we moved to QLD. When we viewed the house, I couldn't work out why two large bedrooms were set out as they were, both appearing to be used.

We gradually worked it out. One is cooler in Summer, the other is warmer in Winter.

Most people have a summer quilt and a winter quilt, we have a summer bedroom and a winter bedroom

Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:38 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Black out blinds and ear muffs no gentle robin song here, more like a chorus of cacklin lunatics in the guise of kookaburras, giant crows and cockatoos.
Am I the only one who misses the sound of those birds?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Been raining for two days now. It's dark still at 7am and the clocks go back soon.

I'm not looking forward to the next seven months of gloomy, cold weather.

I really hope its the last winter for us!
10 months and counting for us. Our last winter in the UK!!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Most people have a summer quilt and a winter quilt, we have a summer bedroom and a winter bedroom
Or just have jammies and quilt for the winter and sleep naked in the summer.

Sorry was that too much detail

JTL
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Been raining for two days now. It's dark still at 7am and the clocks go back soon.

I'm not looking forward to the next seven months of gloomy, cold weather.

I really hope its the last winter for us!
A great day today though ...hardly a cloud in the sky
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep have to agree Paul. Looks like we're in for a good weekend too!

Actually had to work today while it was nice and sunny outside.

Weekend soon.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Black out blinds and ear muffs no gentle robin song here, more like a chorus of cacklin lunatics in the guise of kookaburras, giant crows and cockatoos.
Sounds like African Hadedas...

They are gray in color and about the size of a large chicken, but kind of shaped more like a bowling pin. Their walk is similar to a penguin’s waddle, except that the upper half of this bird is sort of hunched over giving it an old and decrepit look when it moves around. The defining physical characteristic of a Hadeda though, is its long, skinny, hooked and pointy beak which it uses for sucking worms and other insects out of the mud. Yum!

...the sound it makes. It would be like the noise that might emanate from the imaginary offspring of a Canadian goose and a seagull, but at about 100 times the volume of the normal bird squawk.

http://amberinsa.wordpress.com/2006/02/02/hadedas/

The stupid things would would start their noise very early in the morning and carry on for hours especially during mating season.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

The stupid things would would start their noise very early in the morning and carry on for hours especially during mating season.
We have neighbours like that.

Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nah - I'm just piss bored of the same old shite day in and day out. Hope that clears it up for you ...
Maybe its time you had a break from this forum then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.