Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep, I sure do. Southern hemisphere winters are short lived though. I grew up in Southern Africa (the same latitudes as Oz), so I'm am familiar with the climate(s) over there.
It's not just latitude that determines climate....Scotland is on the same latitude as Siberia and...err.....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

Originally Posted by Brisben
but hardly enjoyable is it ?
Yes it is, actually. I spent 15 years in Tasmania, soaking up the cold wet weather. I love the British climate and I enjoy walking in the rain, so dark rainy days are no problem for me.

They can be quite beautiful, too.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Been raining for two days now. It's dark still at 7am and the clocks go back soon.

I'm not looking forward to the next seven months of gloomy, cold weather.
How dramatic!

We're 2 months away from mid Summer and sunrise in Melbourne today was at 0646 - quite right too - who needs daylight before 7am - not me!!

I was in Scotland for a few weeks last December and it rained ONCE...for about 5 minutes (I think it was some kind of record). The rest of the time it was clear & chilly...and very nice it was to. Previous time I was in the UK was Oct and there were some beautiful days. Even though I was living in Qld at the time slottng into the supposedly gloomy, cold weather was not a problem. I find it quite a nice time of year, unlike Aussie winter you don't generally have to freeze your ass off indoors as well!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes it is, actually. I spent 15 years in Tasmania, soaking up the cold wet weather. I love the British climate and I enjoy walking in the rain, so dark rainy days are no problem for me.

They can be quite beautiful, too.

Mate, I'm looking forward to your first post, complaining about the heat in Adelaide.

You really have been turned to the Dark Side haven't you.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
How dramatic!

We're 2 months away from mid Summer and sunrise in Melbourne today was at 0646 - quite right too - who needs daylight before 7am - not me!!

Back in brisvegas its starting to get light just before 5, birds are off at 4.30. Was thinking soon it will be sunny at 4.30am It is something I have never got used too.

4.30 am to me is the middle of the night, and often weve had neighbours who think its time to get up and mow or play tennis or swim.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Back in brisvegas its starting to get light just before 5, birds are off at 4.30. Was thinking soon it will be sunny at 4.30am It is something I have never got used too.

4.30 am to me is the middle of the night, and often weve had neighbours who think its time to get up and mow or play tennis or swim.
Aint it grand....5am....sun up, 25C outside / 27C inside...crows shrieking...have a shower, start sweating again straight away...arrive at work needing another one! Oh the bliss! And your reward....eternal evening darkness! Mwahahaha!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:22 am
ABCDiamond

who needs daylight before 7am
Me

I would hate getting up in the dark these days.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:24 am
ABCDiamond

It's dark still at 7am and the clocks go back soon.
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Join the club !!
Move to QLD, we don't have 'Morning Daylight Losing Hours' here

Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: The dark, damp, dreary, dismal, UK winter weather has started...

Mate, I'm looking forward to your first post, complaining about the heat in Adelaide.
LOL, I was complaining about the heat in WA before I even left Australia. And I've started complaining about the heat in Adelaide already... even though we don't fly out until next Wednesday.

You really have been turned to the Dark Side haven't you.
That happened a long time ago, during the 15 years I spent in Tassie.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Move to QLD, we don't have 'Morning Daylight Losing Hours' here
...just 'Evening Darkness Reclaiming Hours'
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

Not 'reclaiming' anything, just staying on 'standard' time

8:55 am EST here (Eastern Standard Time)

Actually it is still 8.55 EST down your way as well.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LOL, I was complaining about the heat in WA before I even left Australia. And I've started complaining about the heat in Adelaide already... even though we don't fly out until next Wednesday.

That happened a long time ago, during the 15 years I spent in Tassie.
I would take the UK Summer over Oz Summer everytime.... but you can keep the UK Winters.... and why anybody chooses to move to central Canada or the US is beyond me. We have a friend in Cleveland Ohio and she seems to spend most of the Winter months freezing her delicate bits off. Her father lives closer to the Canadian border, in the snow belt, and he gets weeks and weeks of below zero temps... thanks, but no thanks.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

It's the only way they can have all those fireworks in Brisbane before bedtime!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:02 pm
ABCDiamond

It's the only way they can have all those fireworks in Brisbane before bedtime!
I think at midnight it's dark everywhere, or you talking about the 9pm kids showing.

We have an early show at 9pm for kids, followed by the normal midnight ones at New Year in summer.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Someone help me, I'm stuck in a nightmare repeating loop! Someone posts a thread about the weather, the same predictable people post the same predictable posts in the same predictable fashion from the same predictable viewpoint only to be responded to with the same predictable responses .... aaaaaaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.